[Resolved] Playing DVDs - audio through speakers, but no signal on TV

ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
edited September 2019 in Products and Accessories
I recently took delivery of a T@b 400 and when I tried to play a DVD through the Jensen head unit I can hear the audio playing, but when I turn on the TV and cycle through the inputs and select the HDMI input, it says no signal. 

Is there a step or setting I am missing?  The HDMI cable is definately plugged into the back of the TV into the HDMI (arc) port.  Should I try to remove the Jensen head unit to take a look at the cables going in to make sure the HDMI is properly seated? 

I have the 3 way Norcold fridge below instead of the closet and I am not even sure if there is an easy way to remove the head unit?
2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
Chili, NY

Comments

• TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Sounds familiar.  My DVD player doesn’t work at all, and while I do get over-the-air TV pictures on the TV, no sound comes through the Jensen!
  • mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    what year is your camper? We use the DVD and choose DVD from the input on the TV. The 2020 models have a new Jensen receiver/dvd player and TV and it has a different name for the input on the TV.
  • ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    Yes, it is a 2020.

I ended up taking off the side panels of the head unit to expose the 4 mounting screws.  Unscrewed and pulled the unit out slowly to reveal the connectors in the back/left side.  The HDMI was in fact not plugged in and just sitting there. Plugged it in and when I put everything back together and inserted a DVD it instantly popped up on the TV without any action on my part and worked flawlessly!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    During my dealer walk thur I asked the guide (a teenager of the service department*) to confirm the DVD-TV feature worked . . . he did.
    * no slam on Teenagers . . . I worked during HS to pay for the first year+ of college (but then GI Bill covered the rest ;)

Anyway, my point is many dealers do not seem to do a very complete hand-off, mine did. {the walk thru found the Alde in part winter, part summer valve setting . . . was getting Hot Water at the toilet. . .}

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    I can’t get audio through the Jensen on the antenna input either (the external satellite/cable connection). I can get it to play through the TV speakers if I go into the TV’s audio menu and choose “TV Speakers On” - which is NOT the default setting - but there seems to be no way you route audio OUT of the TV and INTO The Jensen. Note that you have to switch the TV’s audio back to “TV Speakers Off” in order to get DVD audio going again. 

DVDs play find through the Jensen, but in that scenario, it is using an HDMI connection which is bi-directional, that is, it can carry a signal both to and from the TV.

The audio from the TV speakers is pretty poor quality, which is not surprising and is pretty typical from small flat panel sets. I think I’m going to look into a small sound bar that will fit on or beneath the shelf under the TV. 

Oh, and late 2019 T@B 400 here! 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited September 2019
    I can’t get audio through the Jensen on the antenna input either (the external satellite/cable connection). I can get it to play through the TV speakers if I go into the TV’s audio menu and choose “TV Speakers On” - which is NOT the default setting - but there seems to be no way you route audio OUT of the TV and INTO The Jensen. Note that you have to switch the TV’s audio back to “TV Speakers Off” in order to get DVD audio going again. 

DVDs play find through the Jensen, but in that scenario, it is using an HDMI connection which is bi-directional, that is, it can carry a signal both to and from the TV.

The audio from the TV speakers is pretty poor quality, which is not surprising and is pretty typical from small flat panel sets. I think I’m going to look into a small sound bar that will fit on or beneath the shelf under the TV. 

Oh, and late 2019 T@B 400 here! 
    I have a 2019 400 as well and I can get OTA TV audio through the Jensen just fine.  What input are you selecting?  The Jensen input should be HDMI ARC and you need to verify that ARC on the TV is enabled.   For the latter, open up the menu and go to Picture/HDMI CEC and make sure Audio Receiver is set to ON. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax