Options

T@B T@BT@BT@B T@BT@B

T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
edited September 2019 in Introductions
First let me thank all of the great people here in this forum with so much information to help me to decide on a Tab. I will continue to learn from all of you as long as I own my Tab.

After driving and towing a few hundred miles for the first time, we spent a night at the Clarence Fahnestock State Park in Putnam Valley, NY (see photo) before we headed home. Got pulled over by a state trooper before arriving due to not knowing that trailers are not allowed on state parkway!

Thank you and have a wonderful day! I am officially an owner of my new 2019 T@B 310S Boondock Edition!

Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @T_BDancing, congratulations on your trailer! Adventures await. It sounds like you're already collecting campfire stories (pulled over on you inaugural trip). If we ever see you on the road sometime, we'll be the crazies waving! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    @T_BDancing this is your official welcome from a fellow New Yorker! Having to stay off the parkways was one of the big adjustments for me. You will soon develop a love/hate relationship with the Cross Bronx Expressway and all the other NYC truck routes (if you haven't already). Haven't had a chance to check out Fahnestock yet - did you like it? Do they have hookups? Hope to see you on the highways and byways!
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    Thanks very much @dragonsdofly and @Travelin3DFahnestock State Park has only water spouts but no electric, most sites are uneven and back-up only or tents. They do have hot showers and toilets.

@Travelin3D, do you think not to be able to go on NYC parkways actually lengthen the traveling routes? Is 'no trailer on parkway' only in NY or cross country?
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
     Is 'no trailer on parkway' only in NY or cross country?
    I don't know about cross country, but I do know the I-75 toll express through Atlanta does not allow trailers
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Most tollways in the country do allow trailers. The more axles, the higher the toll collected, but most express (limited exits and entrances) do not. Most highway troopers will say thst a single vehicle breakdown is much easier to handle with limited access than a combination vehicle/towed load. Simple logistics, I suppose.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited September 2019
    In this case they are talking about NY State parkways and in particular the Hudson Valley region. Here's a description from Wikipedia --
    "First, because many of these roads were either designed before civil engineers had experience building roads for automobile use or widened in response to increasing traffic, many New York parkways lack shoulders. Second, because designers focused more on making routes scenic rather than efficient, the parkways are meandering, often built to follow a river, and so contain many turns. Finally, because most use low, decorative stone-arch overpasses that would trap trucks, commercial vehicles, trucks and tractor trailers are banned from parkways." 

How bad can it be? 
    There is at least one stone-arch bridge underpass on either the Taconic or Saw Mill River parkway with a large 8+ft clearance warning on the non-existent shoulder side of the road. You'll see it right before you have any chance to do anything about it. :o 
    The Taconic has also low drain grates along its non-existent shoulder so any drifting to the right and you'll start ka-thunking. Imagine driving like that for miles with a trailer.

Basically -- Don't trust your GPS when traveling through NY State. ;)
    The older parkways can be very scenic but are only built for passenger cars.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Taconic State Parkway was exactly where I got pulled over. In the beginning I was wondering why the speed limit was 55mph on a narrow and twisty road while I could barely do 40...