Options

Bearing Maintenance on 2016 Tab Outback S Max

BertBert Member Posts: 87
edited October 2017 in Trailer & Towing
I had the wheel bearings repacked on our 2016 Tab Outback S Max, thinking that it might be important to do so. The trailer has only been towed for 3,000 miles or so over the past couple of seasons. Apparently there is a zerk fitting behind the shiny cover on the end of the axle. I have been told that all I have to do is squirt grease into the fitting until some comes out the front or back each year and I will never have to have the bearings repacked again. Is that true? How often would I want to have someone check the bearings to make sure everything is in order if I'm not worried about having them repacked every few years?

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2017
    Good question. 

Some would say check them annually (clean, inspect, and repack them), even though that zerk seems to negate that plan.

Some say just squirt some grease in there often enough to keep any water or dirt out.

I go with the second method, 'cause I'm lazy. I do keep an eye on hub temperature, sound, and tightness. 

I'll probably check them (clean them etc) in the next year, which would be 5 years and 20,000 miles or so, for us.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Oh, I was wondering about this.  I'm glad to hear there is a zerk fitting.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    After the summer, I just removed, cleaned, and repacked mine, and replaced the seals. It was a convenient time since I was getting new tires. T@B has 6 years and about 12,000 miles on it. Each year I squirted a little grease into the zerks. Bearings were in perfect condition. In fact there was a small amount of grease oozing out from behind the grease seal, suggesting that I added a bit too much grease each year. They really take very little grease!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    edited October 2017
    On ours, when you add grease, the excess is pushed back out the front, around the edges (going through the bearings).
    I think it's recommended that you continue adding grease until the grease coming out is relatively 'new' looking, thus having pushed out all the old 'used' grease. 

From my experience, when grease is 'old' it can have moisture mixed in, or it can be separated & liquefied some (and be more prone to leaking through the seals), even if it doesn't have any real dirt in it, it can be pretty dirty looking.

@Estancio, if you had grease coming out the back, do you think your seals might have been failing? Or maybe pumping the grease in too fast? Bad for that grease to get in there with the brakes.

That's a good point, in any case. It's good practice to check your seals, and brakes, which would involve pulling the wheels, and you might as well be checking the bearings while you're in there. 

Hrrrmph. Ok, now I've talked myself into another maintenance item that I was avoiding...  :s

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    You Tube video.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzW1kK8oWkc

Be careful. I did just as shown and had a problem on the road. It seems that I blew the rear seal out. since I habitually feel my bearings when on the road I discovered the problem before there was any damage.  

Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Now, after reading your stories here, @Estancio and Scott, I'm sure I want to check my seals.

I wonder how often these fail. If they are really as unreliable as it sounds, you'd think they'd have a liability problem, considering we're taking about trailer brakes.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Thanks so much for posting the video SHOWING how to grease the bearings!

• Options
    I've done a bit of google searching regarding problems with Dexter E-Z-Lube hubs, and there are a quite a few negative stories.

Now I'm convinced that pulling the hubs, cleaning and checking the bearings, and the brakes, and re-packing the bearings in the 'traditional way' is the best way to go...

It shouldn't ought to be necessary more often than every 2-3 years/20000 miles, I'd think, unless they're exposed to extremes, or submerged in water. 

Makes sense to check the brakes on that schedule anyway.

Cleaning out all that grease each time, that's packed into the hub by the e-z-lube system, would be a real pain in the neck.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    rioosoriooso Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the vid... loved it! 
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Estancio said:
    They really take very little grease!
    Except the first time you use the EZ Lube method.  It seems that from the factory, the channel between the front and rear bearing is not filled with grease.  So, it takes a ton of pumps on a grease gun to fill that cavity.  After that cavity is filled, then you get grease flow with every pump. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    rioosoriooso Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2018
    rkj__ said:
    Except the first time you use the EZ Lube method.  It seems that from the factory, the channel between the front and rear bearing is not filled with grease.  So, it takes a ton of pumps on a grease gun to fill that cavity.  After that cavity is filled, then you get grease flow with every pump.  

Took almost 1/2 tube the first time for me, on each hub.
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2018
    Wheel bearing maintenance requires replacing the grease annually.  Grease mixes with water diluting it and thus reducing its viscosity.  Bearings, races and cages (the thin shell that keeps the bearings separated) wear as a normal part of use and that material stays in the grease, accelerating wear.  Bearings must be cleaned in a good solvent, dried (you cn blow air on bearings to dry them but DON'T use air to spin them! It will quickly ruin them) and then hand-repacked with new grease annually.  
    One of the primary causes of premature bearing failure is too much grease in the hub.  There must be a little air space within the hub to allow for expansion of the grease as it gets warm.  Otherwise it will be forced past the seal, get into the drum and ultimately destroy the brakes.  
    Wheel bearings on trailers are stone age technology.  Modern cars have huge bearings and are sealed for life.  Trailer hubs are no more advanced than the front spindles on a 56 chevy belair. 
    To live long and prosper, Looky looky, checky checky... Annually, irrespective of mileage...
    WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ