Walker Tent/Awning for T@B 400 Experience

Comments

• reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    edited July 2018
    Ooohhh, lookie a new design!  On the All Pro Adventures website, there is some information on the new Walker tent design and they now have an 'all screen' model, in addition to the standard model.  Don’t know what the features are, and they are closed now so I can’t ask, and I didn’t see anything on a Google search.  If all the windows can open, this might be the ticket.  The price has increased on the standard model and the screen model is even more than that but this looks promising.  Has anyone seen or heard about this?

https://www.allproadventures.com/product-page/walker-tent-for-t-b-300
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @reedd, AllPro is probably closed this week also, but you can check the website for an email address for them, and Ina answers rather quickly, but maybe not until next week. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    WOWSER! That sucker is spendy! :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    Thanks Verna and I’ll definitely do that!

ericnliz said:
    WOWSER! That sucker is spendy! :o
    Ain’t it though and the price just keeps going up!  I think the Isabella is $1800.  I seem to have champagne taste on a tap water budget, and even the water cost is stretching it sometimes with the drought we are having =).   I’m looking at this for an an option for extended stays as I can work remotely.  Two dogs and a workspace in the tab gets a bit tight sometimes. Might not be a concern once I retire in a year or two, if I can make it that long!  My Daddy raised me to 'kick tires' before buying something and It’s just fun looking at all the options.
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • clgauldingclgaulding Member Posts: 5
    We just tried to erect a Walker Tent on our TAB 400.  The bead on the tent pulled out of the track on the edge of the TAB, making the tent completely unusable.  Any solutions?
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited July 2018
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Interesting.  Where did you purchase your Walker as those for the US market are supposed to have a larger cord to stay inside the keder rail?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    He is sending a new Walker Tent? Do they have a secret stash?!
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• GidgetGidget Member Posts: 64
    edited August 2018
    Can someone tell me why these "tents" are so bloody expensive???? I mean outside the Keder railing mod, which honestly can't be THAT laborious to include, they're JUST tents!!!!

Look out open road, here we come!!! Me, my Gracie May, a 2YO Beaweenie; half Beagle, half Dachshund, Dash, the 2015 Kia Sorento LX V6, Gidget, the 2018 nüCamp 320s!

Places Visited Map
    Limited market for a custom product.  The Walker makes the PaHaque look inexpensive.  Having said that, the PaHaque customer service is excellent.  Not sure about the Walker tent manufacturer customer service.
  • tcjktcjk Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a Walker awning for my T@B 400. As mentioned in the original post, the instructions leave a lot to be desired. I got it 95% figured out, but have a question about these "leftover parts". There are 4 of them along with metal screws. I have no idea what they are for or where they are supposed to be installed. Anyone with experience with this awning know their use?
    Let’s just start guessing! I guess it’s a tensioner of some kind.

I keep going back and forth back and forth... PahaQue or Walker... I wish I could see a Walker tent in real life to find out if it’s worth selling a kidney for. It’s SO cute! I love cute! 

• Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    We bought one this spring and, I'm not home to check but, I think those pieces have something to do with the bit that goes along the bottom of the T@B and across the wheel.  Check that out and see.  If it is still a problem I'll check when we get home.
  • tcjktcjk Member Posts: 2
    There are 5 plastic pieces that attach around the wheel fender so you can attach the cover. The rest of the covering along the bottom of the trailer fits into the Keder Rail. If these are part of that assembly, I cannot figure out where they go. 
  • rbrtmrbrtm Member Posts: 34
    I believe those four extra parts are if you want permanent mounts for the hooks on the lateral poles. Screw them to the wall with the included screws. Not me yet.
    I got a two foot piece of plastic that's the shape of back to back keder rail???

I see Pro Adventures is selling a Walker as a "standard" and now a "400 all screen".No pics. What is the diff besides $100.
    The 2 foot piece of plastic fits across the wheel so the bottom skirting can be fed through the keder and cover the wheel.  Still not at home to actually look at our tent but that is what I remember.
    @rbrtm, the standard Walker only had clear vinyl windows and a solid polyester door.  The “all screen” model obviously has screens, but I am not sure if that is in addition to the vinyl or replaces the vinyl.  
    From their website:  “Enlarge your camping area with an extra tent which includes zip open screens and door.”  Well, a tent is typically closed to the elements, so it sounds to me that the screening has been ADDED to the window and door openings.  You can do an online chat and find out.
    Thanks Sharon. Don't know how I missed that in the description.
  • mikesnewjourneymikesnewjourney Member Posts: 28
    We are considering an Isabella or Walker, but like all you folks have stated. Very expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for??  Has anybody ever made a installation video of either tent connected to T@B 400?  I like the idea of the Walker being full screen, but like the Isabella windows are not able to roll up to allow ventilation???   Have not purchased as of yet and still debating between Isabella or Walker?  Can anyone give any advise?  Thank you, mikesnewjourney
    Hey Mike, we have a 320 so these figures are for that but it may give you some insight. I saved it so I could cut and paste. What T@B 320 tent/awning we decided to buy and why. 

We decided to go with the Walker ($1,359) instead of the of Pahaque ($795) or the Isabella ($1,799).

The reason we love Walker most of all is because it’s a tent AND an awning in one. If you buy the Isabella you will pay again if you want an awning/sun canopy ($599) in addition to the tent. Or add a Pahaque awning ($479).

Originally, the Walker only came with all vinyl windows. Those of us in the Midwest would then call that a sauna. Now you can choose screen windows or vinyl. 

Compared to the Isabella tent, the Walker has windows that open on both sides of the tent. The Isabella opens on one side. We live in the Midwest, we need circulation.

The Isabella has a full window that unzips to a screen on the right side as you face the tent. The vinyl window on the left doesn’t have a screen, so no cross breeze. The front window the Isabella can be removed and has no screen but then it is open to bugs. Ewww. The Walker tent front is screened windows. 

One argument I see for buying Pahaque is people saying you may not be able to put a Walker or Isabella up alone. If you have a T@B, setting up in a campground, I don’t think you will ever be alone. 😂😂 I plan on putting all the helpful Zombies to work.  But if it is just me with a step stool, I trust I can get it done and will get better at it each time.

Choosing how we spend our money is important to me. On big purchases especially I have to personally do a ton of research. I want to make sure it’s going to meet our every need or at least most of them. But obviously people have strong opinions here about everything.  You just have to decide what is best for you.

https://www.allproadventures.com/.../walker-tent-for-t-b-300

edited March 2019
    We tried to get an Isabella awning deluxe for our 400 and found out that the European 400 L is smaller than the USA 400 . I measured the keder rope for the Isabella 400 L and it measured 23 feet 4 inches.  Measured the ground to ground length they call the A-measurement and got 25 feet 9 3/4 inches.  Meaning that the Isabella 400 L awning deluxe is aprox 29 3/4 inches too short.  Meaning you can stake down one side, but the other side is in the air about 30 inches.  Also I noticed that the keder rail needs to be cut open in order for the rope to continue to the ground on the Nucamp 400.    I made a huge mistake thinking that the 400L is the same as the 400 USA.  Now I am thinking of trying the Walker Tent from All Pro?  I just have to my money back from Elwell corporation in Washington?   
    I feel really dumb,  I purchased the Isabella part number 76404008 for a 400 L and found the keder rope to be a length of 23 feet and 4 inches (711 cm) that is ground to ground, but on the front of the 400 you would have had to cut out some of the keder rail in order for it to go to the ground to stake it.  I measured the keder rail with a string from rear to front ground to ground and it measured 25 feet 9 3/4 inches (787 cm).  That is 29 3/4 inches(76 cm) too short.   I reached out to Isabella and found that the item number is supposed to be 176604009 and it has specific instructions. Also stated in the email that 12.5 cm height will be witnessed from the ground to the awning(peg-height).  We both decided that instead of modifying the keder rail and void warranty we would send the Isabella back for a refund and go with the Walker tent.  Has anyone else tried the Isabella on a 400 with a 400 L awning deluxe?  Thank you guys for your time.  I feel kind of confused.  Thank you for bearing with me on this journey.  
    edited March 2019
    Thank you @knoxville1915 for your extensive explanation!  Awesome to say the least.  If I could reach out to you on some direction and some instructions?  We are going with the Walker awning.  Is there any videos that anyone has put together?
    Me and my wife owned an older 2006 T@B with a Parque awning.  We liked it, but our age creeped in and needed to sell it to our son and moved up to a 400,  thank God a bathroom and in floor heating!   Thank you for your precious time, mikesnewjourney
  • casadesaraymattcasadesaraymatt Member Posts: 20
    Received our Walker tent last week, and installed it this weekend in the storage yard instead of waiting and trying to figure it out at a campsite. I agree, the directions leave a lot of questions, but we were able to figure it out once we laid everything out and studied the directions while looking at all of the pieces. Now that we know how to do it, I'm sure it will take us a third of the time to set it up than it did the first time. We didn't install the side walls yet, but they just zip in so I don't imagine it will be very difficult. Now we can't wait to test it out on a camping trip, hopefully soon!

Yes, that was our experience too. We labelled the pieces with colored tape to make it easier.  Still is a bigger fuss than I had expected.
     We are still struggling to put the bottom piece in beneath the T@B.  have you tried that yet?