Options

Air conditioner replacement?

Has anyone replaced the stock wall air conditioner with an aftermarket unit that shuts the cooling unit and fan down when the temperature is reached.  We were spoiled when we owned our motorhome with a thermostat controlled a/c unit.  In the past, window installed units didn't have this feature, but now many units are available.  Just, inquiring if anybody has installed one.  It is really convenient to set the air and leave your unit, knowing the fan isn't constantly running.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2015
    Good question and the "Good News" is that there is indeed a remedy and work-around if you will that provides a solution (you do not have to replace your AC unit) to what you are inquiring about.  This very question came up a while back on the Little Guy forum buy one of our members and a solution was listed.  

Actually I had to read your post again and it suddenly dawned on me that they do make an "in line" style thermostat (The Win100 unit) that plugs into the wall receptacle and this allows you to plug the AC unit into the receptacle that is built into the thermostat and this allows you to digitally control the AC unit as follows:

Create Different Programs for Weekdays and Weekends
    The WIN100 allows you to enjoy the benefits of a programmable thermostat for your heating or cooling unit. This model offers the convenience of 5-2 day programming so you can create different programs for weekdays and weekends.

The WIN100 also boasts a positive on/off switch, and a heat/cool switch that allows the use of this product for two seasons: summer and winter.

User-Friendly Operation
    Offering straight-forward operation, the WIN100 has a patented Lux Speed Dial for easy programming, a positive on/off switch for streamlined operation, and battery-free memory storage.

For added convenience, this ETL-approved thermostat can be programmed before it's plugged into the wall. Once programmed, it operates off of a standard 120-volt wall outlet (with ground), and it comes with two 1.5-volt G13 alkaline button cell batteries for the clock. 

This unit is available for about $36 on Amazon Prime and will keep your trailer cooled to the desired temperature and via a programmable thermostat.  There are different units available and it would be wise to read the reviews and select the unit that best suits your needs.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Thanks for the information on this unit.  I have ordered one to give it a try.  Also, talked to a tech from the company, who answered my question, if it can be used as a normal thermostat, rather than just being a programmable unit.  He said it can set only, to turn the air conditioner on and off at a select temperature.