Extra HDMI input

dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
edited October 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
Has anyone had any success adding an extra HDMI input to the Tab 19" Jensen TV and still retain HDMI audio return channel?  I have tried probably about 10 different HDMI switches that support ARC and none of them seem to work correctly with this set up.  I found a couple that will work but I always have to switch back to the Jensen radio input and then back to my second input which I have hooked up to an Apple TV.  Then I have to go into the CEC menu on the TV switch the audio receiver off in the menu then on again to get sound to route through ARC.  This seems way to convoluted for such a simple task.  Anyone have any input on my input problem? lol.  I have the JWM70A radio with the JTV19DC 19" TV.  I have tried also using Roku and Fire Stick and still have the same issue.  I also called Jensen and they have no clue either and were not entirely helpful.  They basically told me to get a different TV with more inputs.

Comments

• aphillips76aphillips76 Member Posts: 15
    I’m thinking I’m going to try to run either 2 rca or a digital audio cable from the tv to the radio... then I can use the hdmi for my Apple TV.  That’s the plan anyway. 
  • dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    I’m thinking I’m going to try to run either 2 rca or a digital audio cable from the tv to the radio... then I can use the hdmi for my Apple TV.  That’s the plan anyway. 
    Yeah I was thinking about this also, might just be the easiest solution.  Then use a switch with audio extractor to route the audio over RCA.
  • JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    I was going to try an HDMI to component cable converter to plug a Roku stuck into the component cable ports on the Jensen TV, then hope that the TV can route the audio through the existing HDMI ARC connection. Does anyone have a clue about whether that will work?
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
    Jilong said:
    I was going to try an HDMI to component cable converter to plug a Roku stuck into the component cable ports on the Jensen TV, then hope that the TV can route the audio through the existing HDMI ARC connection. Does anyone have a clue about whether that will work?
    I used an HDMI to VGA convertor for the Apple TV and that worked but the problem with this is HDCP content will not play.  So you really need to use HDMI for this.
  • JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    Some of the converters I've seen claim to support HDCP 1.2, although I know the standard has advanced beyond that now.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • aphillips76aphillips76 Member Posts: 15
    dhauf said:
    Yeah I was thinking about this also, might just be the easiest solution.  Then use a switch with audio extractor to route the audio over RCA.
    The tv has audio out so you don’t need an audio extractor.
    dhauf said:
    The tv has audio out so you don’t need an audio extractor.
    That is true, I tried it and it had a noisy hum the whole time so not sure id want to use it.  Not sure if anyone else had that issue as well.  
  • TwoOwlsTalkingTwoOwlsTalking Member Posts: 7
    I also have a Roku stick (which gets its wireless signal from my iPhone Hotspot) and I wanted to send the audio back to the Jensen stereo system.  To do this, I purchased a small Bluetooth transmitter which plugs into the TV's headphone jack.  I then pair the transmitter with the Jensen and we're good to go.

Here are the components I'm using (Amazon links):
    Roku Streaming Stick http://a.co/d/0STwX3V
    HDMI Any Angle Adjustable Rotation Male to Female Swivel Adapter Converter http://a.co/d/5iWsnY5  This short adapter is needed to get the Roku into the TV HDMI port
    Bluetooth transmitter similar to this one http://a.co/d/1QhVZlm  (mine is no longer available)

thx
    Billy

The T@b Mahal
    T@B 400 2018  |  Ford V8 2014  |  Rio del Mar, California
  • 51chevy51chevy Member Posts: 31
    Have you tried something like this.  

Calrad 40-992 3D Compliant 3x1 HDMI Switcher

• R2DTabR2DTab Member Posts: 5
    I did a tacky job running a very long 1/8" from the aux out on the stereo to the TV area using sticky zip-tie mounts.  I download netflix onto my iPad and plug into the TV with HDMI and the 1/8" to the headphone jack.  I don't mind the tacky look.  So much that I believe I blew the drivers side speaker  :bawling:
    2018 T@B Boondock 320S
    Brought to places by a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road