Options

Screen On Vent of A/C

SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
I note that my screen is not all the way across the side vent when looking at it from outside peering in the vent. I think maybe mine has come unglued on one end and I need to redo the screen.  Do others extend across the entire length of the vent?  I think it's there to prevent debris and bugs-wasps from getting in and creating a problem.

I think I'll take the vent off and reposition the screen to go all the way across the vent.  I just can't understand how the scree could come loose anyway.  It looks like the screen had a bit of white paint on it at one time???

Attached Image

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    If the screen extends further to the right I would try some 3M glue to hold it in place or possibly a small dab of Gorilla glue and work it across the unsealed area.   You do want to use pause with Gorilla glue however as it expands when it starts to dry and can easily ooze out into unwanted spaces if you are not careful with it.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Regardless, I have to remove the vent, repair the screen and seal the vent on replacement?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ah, I did have to take the vent off the trailer and I hate those square headed screws!  I found that the fiberglass screen inside was held in place by aluminum tape much like that used on a/c ducts and it had come loose.  I used a hot glue gun and then re-taped the screen and now I have to re-install the vent since the screen is attached to the vent.  Now I have to buy some sealant but I'm sure I'll have further use for it somewhere around the house...  I used my grinder to create a square-headed screwdriver to use on those confounded screws-but most RV mfg's use them.
  • Options
    kathyincakathyinca Member Posts: 12
    We have the same issue for our new T@B. 
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Sgtjohn said:
    .........I used my grinder to create a square-headed screwdriver to use on those confounded screws-but most RV mfg's use them.
    I have a tool box that has had to change with the times, flat head, Phillips, Allen, torx, torx security, torx plus, and now square.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

change is hard =)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I lucked out and received one of them funny screw head adapters in a set of drill bit/screw driver combo sets.  They bug me too, but seem to be a mainstay at the factory both on the LG & T@B trailer lines.....  Gotta keep up with the times folks!  =)

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I switched to square drive screws about 10 years ago for my woodworking.  Good thing since I've made a few things that used pocket screws, which are square drive.  Square drive heads rarely strip out, and that's one reason the RV industry uses them, along with furniture manufacturers.  Better to use one screw, instead of trying to remove a stripped Phillips head screw, and then replacing it.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    Those square screws are a Canadian invention from about 1908 and are called Robertson screws. It took me a long time to remember that.  =)
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I picked up some clear sealant today and tomorrow I'll start reassembly but first I plan on vacuuming the drain tray beneath the a/c before I put the vent on-it ha aluminum shavings in.the bottom.  I don't think they'll interfere with drainage but I don't want to take off the vent again.  I'm still under warranty until this Oct but sometimes it's easier to fix things yourself.  One needs an understanding of the T@B for many reasons.  Did you know that there is an aluminum frame the a/c sits on?  It is an aluminum cage or frame that supports the weight of the a/c unit.