Black vinyl strip

clkellerclkeller Member Posts: 46
The black vinyl strip that runs on both sides of the t@b has come unglued again .Iam wondering what other people have used for a adhesive to keep it attached 

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The seal on the roof or the vinyl in the slot on the sides?
  • clkellerclkeller Member Posts: 46
    The vinyl in the slots on the sides
  • skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    We had troubles with that on our 2014 particularly when it got hot. The factory since has changed to a different material. They did some testing and the new material doesn't stretch when heated. Consider calling the factory and talking with Ed or Marvin to see if you can get the new strips.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
    Hmmmm - They are meant to come out so one can attach accessories (tents, visors, etc). Is wind while driving causing them to come out? If glued in you wouldn't be able to attach anything. Tell us more about the situation.
    It's the black strips that cover the side seams on each side
  • mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    They are "glued".  They are on the opposite side of the plastic trips.  Shoe goo works well.  I put a dab every 3 -6 inches and it lasts for a few years.  I check at the beginning of each season and see where they have separated, add a bit of goo and they seal up fine.  Don't need a constant bead of goo; just a dab each time.   It holds it in place without a constant bead.  
    Never heard of "shoe goo" - What is it, where do you get it?
    Ace Hardware, Walmart, etc.  Gym shoe repair and waterproofing.  Works well to hold on the vinyl seal on the t@b.  (I think I originally saw it discussed on yahoo group a couple of years ago.)
    Ok - so, you two are referring to the roof seal, not the vinyl strip in the side slot - that's what I wasn't clear on - top strips vs side strips.
    Yes, the black weatherproof seal that runs on the roof side of the decorative color trim at the edges of the roof.  The black rubber strip tends to separate from the trim.  
    edited August 2015
    I keep my Keder rail strips and reinsert them when I'm not attaching things - Think they add that little touch like pin stripping on a car.
    Thank you everyone I used the shoe glue and it did the trick  amazing stuff
  • CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    I used a product called "GOOP" and it did the trick they have been stable for years now!
  • twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    edited July 2015
    Had the same problem with the black strip that covers the bolts along the edge of the T@B.  It was over 90 degrees and it came loose driving down the freeway in eastern Montana.  Has anyone tried contacting the factory for the new material as a replacement?
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    twocutes, Yes same thing happened in Idaho a few days ago. I re installed it at a rest area and put a few dabs of glue every few feet.  Hasn't moved since.  
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    When ours first detached we contacted Ed at the factory and he shipped us the adhesive which worked well but we have since gotten the new black strip material. At the factory they tested the two materials side by side. The old material got soft and stretched at the higher temperatures whereas the new material retained it's shape. It is truly superior. Contact Ed, Marvin, or Elsie in Warranty Department at the factory!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • LehfeldtLehfeldt Member Posts: 20
    Sandra said:
    Those black plastic strips in the kedar rail are just for decoration and you should probably just remove and toss them. If you intend to use an awning or screen room, they will have to be removed anyway. Be sure to squirt some liquid silicone in the kedar rail and then your awning will glide right through. You will also have to enlarge a section a couple inches up from the back end to be able to insert the awning back edge.

Sandra, I was testing my new Visor today and had a hard time inserting the Visor into the keder rail with the black rubber/plastic strip in place. Now I learned they are removeable? And I can simply put it back in after using the keder rail? I thought the purpose of the plastic strip was to prevent rain and water from entering inside the Visor?
    Human: Christopher Lehfeldt T@B: 2016 Max Q named "atT@Boy" TV: 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E HQ: Rochester, NY
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Lehfeldt said:
    Sandra said:
    Those black plastic strips in the kedar rail are just for decoration and you should probably just remove and toss them. If you intend to use an awning or screen room, they will have to be removed anyway. Be sure to squirt some liquid silicone in the kedar rail and then your awning will glide right through. You will also have to enlarge a section a couple inches up from the back end to be able to insert the awning back edge.

Sandra, I was testing my new Visor today and had a hard time inserting the Visor into the keder rail with the black rubber/plastic strip in place. Now I learned they are removeable? And I can simply put it back in after using the keder rail? I thought the purpose of the plastic strip was to prevent rain and water from entering inside the Visor?
    Take the black rubber piece out of the Keder rail before inserting the Visor. The Keder rail is located on the side of the T@B, not the roof. The roof black rubber strips are used to cover the screws that keep the T@B together. The roof rubber is what the others are referring to when they are asking how to keep it in place.  You don't have to put the Keder rail black rubber back in place. It won't hurt anything one way or the other if you don't put it back in.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Hey, PX. I'll have to tell my daughter that she has some trailer rails named after her!
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• LehfeldtLehfeldt Member Posts: 20
    Actually it's spelled as "keder". http://kedersolutions.com/
    Human: Christopher Lehfeldt T@B: 2016 Max Q named "atT@Boy" TV: 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E HQ: Rochester, NY
  • vitovito Member Posts: 181
    To Sandra: Does the silicon in the keder rails affect the material of the tent or visor when it slides through the silicon? The idea of lubricating the keder rails makes sense, but I wouldn't want to use a material that might damage the tent itself. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sandra said:
    In case no one has mentioned it previously, with whichever awning or screen room you are trying to attach to the awning track, you must "pry open" a small section several inches above the end of the track so it's easier to insert the awning edge and yet leave a space to "back it down" into the lower section so it won't pull out from the strain on the fabric. You can use a flat screwdriver to open it, just be sure there are no metal burrs to snag the material.
    Sandra, my new 2014 came with the opening already in place.  No need to pry open the space anymore. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • TravelerTraveler Member Posts: 5
    We have had the white strip that covers the bolts come out of our black and white 2015 T@B CS a few times in our last trip from Texas to PA to Wisconsin and back to Texas. We used duct tape to hold them down as a temporary fix until we got home yesterday. Noticed that there are two or three holes with no bolts or screws in the channel that came uncovered. Will be calling factory tomorrow to see if we have the new cover strip material or not and to see if we should have all the holes bolted or not. 
    T@B 2015 CS S Max
    Durango Citadel

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
    - Robert Louis Stevenson