Options

T@b 400 Spare Tire Cable

T@b 400 Yep, I did it. I used a drill bit on the winch crank and now the cable is loose and no longer retracts. A small metal pin split off and the cable isn't tied to the screw anymore.
Anyone know the fix or is this a trip to the dealer with my tail down, etc.?
@Awca12a -> I read up on it in your guide about never using a drill too late. 

Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
2019 T@B 400 BL
2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

Comments

• Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    Well, nuCamp said to bring it to a dealer. Even though the trailer is under warranty, it was my fault. It wasn't defective.
    Don't be me. Don't use a drill on the spare tire. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    edited November 2019
    So what do you use for the spare cable instead of the drill? Same tool that works on the stabilizers or something else? 
  • Options
    Electric drill with the fitting for the stabilizers.  Cost was about $280 for the damage and done while at nuCamp 2019.  You have to go slow with that spare tire holder.  I stopped using an electric drill completely.  More control doing the stabilizers manually, too.  
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    @Missstsomewhere
    I use a drill for both, BUT only at slow speed.  Most drills nowadays have a variable speed trigger.  
    Before I figured out that slow speed is the key I also discombobulated the spare tire cable.  Fortunately I didn't break anything.  The cable just got tangled.  It is a long shot if you actually see a broken pin, but you might try pulling the cable taut and seeing if the screw will then retract it.  I don't remember how the drive screw is attached to the cable but it may just be a roll pin.  Those are available, in different diameters and lengths at auto parts stores or Lowes.  If it is a roll pin you can just push & tap another one into the hole.  If the pin is actually broken inside the drive head the new pin will push the broken end out as it is inserted.  If the drive head is actually broken then it is likely a dealer issue.  I doubt a replacement drive head is available.  The entire mechanism might need to be replaced. 
    In any case, it is an awkward place to work.
  • Options
    OK but in lieu of a drill....what would you use?  The tool that lowers the stabilizers or something else? 
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    When I bought my 400, nuCamp included a small ratchet and a long offset handle.  Either one would work for either the spare tire or the stabilizers. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

This is the warning label below my early 2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite. I believed it when it said “Do not use power driver.”  Plus, I was told not to. 

As @falcon1970 says, I was also provided a manual long handled 3/4” wrench, plus a ratcheting wrench to use instead of a power drill or screwdriver for lowing or raising the spare tire. 

Hopefully nüCamp has continued applying this warning label to all tire raising mechanisms to decrease the number of broken mechanisms. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Yes, @Verna. However, I was so excited to take the Tab out of storage after 6 months that I forgot what I had previously known not to do. And, I didn't have my glasses on. Totally my fault, as noted. At least I wasn't injured or worse, I guess. 

Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    edited November 2019
    I have that tool. So it’s same tool that came with the 400 I use to raise and lower stabilizers. Glad to know I’ve got it covered should I ever need to get to the spare. Thanks all!!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @NorthIsUp, I hesitated posting the photo because I knew you felt bad about using the power tool, but I figured you would forgive me if you realized this was a message for those who have not lowered the spare tire. 

So, please consider the photo and warning as a tool or others so they can learn from this. 

I had an advantage as I had Marvin at the factory do my walk through. He is very picky about some things and this was one thing he emphasized. 

We all live and learn and doggone it, those eyeglasses sure do have a way of helping or not helping us at times!  Add to it forgetting your hearing aid and that’s just a whole other  subject!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”