Options

Window shade part warped

MewcycleMewcycle Member Posts: 20
edited May 2019 in Products and Accessories
This is for a 2014 LG T@b Max S. We have a non-opening window on the front which eventually we will replace with the opening type. But for now, we just wanted to get the shade to work properly. The top housing that holds the roll-up blind is severely warped which is why it wouldn’t work. So we took the bottom housing and moved it to the top. Now it works! However, the warped piece still needs to be fixed or replaced.

My question is, has anyone “un warped” one of these? If so, how?
or, does anyone have this piece leftover from a window replacement that I could purchase from you? 
I have already inquired about buying a new one through my local dealer (Princess Craft) and have been told that I’d have to purchase the entire assembly. 

2014 T@B Max S
2018 GMC Canyon
Texas Hill Country

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Edited to adjust photos 
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options
    Have you tried heating the plastic part to soften it up and straighten it out? This looks like a molded part and most likely made of a thermoplastic. Seems all you would lose to try is some time since it is currently unusable.
    We are attempting to heat it now using a heat gun and clamps. It seems to soften easily, however, holding it in place without disfiguring it is a bit of a challenge. But as you say, nothing to lose. 
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    A wooden closet rod from a big box store (or your closet) might be a similar diameter. If you can approximate the diameter and tape or rubber band it over the piece and then heat it, might be easier.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Great ideas! I went out to show him these suggestions and he had fixed it. Photo to follow. Hopefully this thread will help someone else. I'm sure we aren't the first to have the Window shade frame warp.
    Ya'll are the greatest resource for help on unique issues!

2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options

2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options
    FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for the tip. I "fixed' mine this way as well. It is not clever to use such malleable material in an area that gets so hot. I live in CO and both top and bottom were warped.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road
    2014 T@B S Wet Bath Max Plus

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain

• Options
    PassportPassport Member Posts: 112
    I’ve the same problem and I’ve thought of the heat gun route.  Looking at the shade and screen it might present a puzzle but it’s still worth a try.