Options

Sanitized water tank

I have a 2018 tab320cs. I sanatized  the water tank this spring and followed the procedure of refilling water tank after sanitizing it and dumping it. Went on  1st camping trip since sanitizing and turned on faucet  to use and there is now a smelly odor. What did I do wrong? 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    How long in between sanitizing and camping?  Was the fresh tank and Alde tank emptied during that time?  

I assume you bypassed the Alde when you sanitized - was there residual water left in the Alde over the winter?

Check the water odor coming from the camp spigot.  Are you filtering the water?

Are you using water from the fresh tank?

Are you sure the odor is from the TaB tap and not the p trap?  Residual bleach odor?  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Tab320csTab320cs Member Posts: 8
    it might be residual bleach order. I will sanitize again 
  • Options
    I would just flush the system thoroughly and repeat if necessary.
  • Options
    Tab320csTab320cs Member Posts: 8
    Just curious, what does happen when you do not bypass the alde when sanitizing. can it cause damage to it?
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Tab320cs said:
    Just curious, what does happen when you do not bypass the alde when sanitizing. can it cause damage to it?
    Over time, yes. The domestic water coil can corrode by the bleach....
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    It is an Alde right of passage to accidentally bleach your Alde hot water tank!  Just fill and flush well.  The one time dilute bleach mixture used to sanitize (1/4 cup in a full 11 gallon tank) is unlikely to harm the Alde tank.  
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    According to report by Patrick with TWD, Spencer at Alde told him at uCamp (I had asked the very question being discussed recently and Patrick said he would try and get an answer at uCamp) that it doesn't matter and mostly an urban legend that the diluted bleach solution will do damage. Do what you want, but official word from the face of Alde USA is it doesn't matter.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Although stainless steel sinks are resistant to many stains, they are susceptible to corrosion when exposed to harsh chemicals. Chlorine bleach is a powerful chemical that will corrode and discolor a stainless steel sink.

@N7SHG_Ham said...”do what you want...”

the domestic coil in the Alde is stainless steel. Once or twice I’m sure won’t hurt it, but time & time again could very well begin the corrosion process and thin the walls of the coil tubes. The dilution rate plays a factor as well, but why risk it?
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    The Alde does not have heating coils within the hot water tank, just in the glycol reservoir.  But the tank is stainless steel and can be affected by bleach.  The Alde manual doesn't mention any issues with bleach (at least mine doesn't) but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    The Alde does not have heating coils within the hot water tank, just in the glycol reservoir.  But the tank is stainless steel and can be affected by bleach.  The Alde manual doesn't mention any issues with bleach (at least mine doesn't) but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    The plumbing term is “domestic water coil.”  I have the same set up in my oil furnace. Whether is a coil or a tank in the Alde I am not sure, but the efficient means to quickly heat water in a “tankless” water heater is by a coil of tubing... 
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    4ncar said:
    The plumbing term is “domestic water coil.”  I have the same set up in my oil furnace. Whether is a coil or a tank in the Alde I am not sure, but the efficient means to quickly heat water in a “tankless” water heater is by a coil of tubing... 
    Right, but the Alde uses a water jacket that does not have an immersed heating coil, so bleach in the water is just in a stainless steel tank.  This is why the Alde does not need a sacrificial anode.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    Hi all..I'm still a little confused by this.  looking at the photo of the various valves prior to adding bleach and water to the water tank to sanitize the water tank, do I close the cold water and hot water valve to the alde heater and open the bypass valve?  And when prior to adding the bleach water do I just need to drain the water tank using the valve underneath the trailer (2017 T@B 320S)
    2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    Drain your fresh water tank via the valve in front of the passenger side tire.
    Before using bleach you want to Bypass (isolate) the Alde water tank, so open the bypass valve so it is parallel with the line, and close the hot and cold water supply valves.  Once you had filled your fresh water tank with the diluted bleach water, when you open your faucets, water will flow through out your plumbing, but avoid the Alde.  

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/ya/65qzp597792b.pdf
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    @Sharon_is_SAM ...thanks...exactly what I needed clarified.

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @wooper. There is a post on here somewhere with pictures of the water line & alde valves set for winterizing & for camping mode-- do a search on winterizing.  It makes the water lines & valves make more sense.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!