Couple more questions on new to us 400

Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
edited July 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
This forum has already been a huge help to me - thanks to those who replied to my previous post! - I was able to remove the rust, re-paint the frame/stabilizer bars, re-grease the bearings and check the brakes thanks to your help!

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/119658#Comment_119658

A few more questions on our recently acquired used 2018 400.

1. The rear stargazer window screen assembly seems to be pulling away from the window (see photo) - how should I re-attach this?

2. Cloth above stargazer window is pulling away (see photo) - how best to re-attach this?

3. The belly pan seems to be sagging a few inches (see photo) - is this normal?

4. Follow up photo to my previous thread - rust removed/re-painted frame/stabilizers - thanks!

Thanks!

Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    @Michael49
    The belly pan is not really sagging--at least in your photo.  It is made of Coroplast, a corrugated plastic.  Where it appears to be sagging it is merely going across the bolts that hold the fresh water tank straps to the frame.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to check all of the screws holding the trim and Coroplast to the frame to make sure they are snug but it doesn't seem you have a problem in the photo.
    Regarding the rear stargazer window:  Is the frame actually loose?  Has the screw visible in the photo pulled through the plastic window frame?  The screws used by nuCamp are all (at least all the ones I have found so far) square drive screws.  The screw in the photo is a Phillips drive.  That leads me to believe it might be a replacement screw.  If it has pulled through the window frame you could use a small piece of plastic about the thickness of a credit card to "patch" the hole in the window frame.  You will want to make sure the screw goes into the same hole in the wall as it does now since there is not a lot in that wall in which to anchor a screw.  You may have to go to a one size larger screw if that one is not anchored tightly into the wall. 
  • Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2019
    @Michael49
    Regarding the rear stargazer window:  Is the frame actually loose?  Has the screw visible in the photo pulled through the plastic window frame?  The screws used by nuCamp are all (at least all the ones I have found so far) square drive screws.  The screw in the photo is a Phillips drive.  That leads me to believe it might be a replacement screw.  If it has pulled through the window frame you could use a small piece of plastic about the thickness of a credit card to "patch" the hole in the window frame.  You will want to make sure the screw goes into the same hole in the wall as it does now since there is not a lot in that wall in which to anchor a screw.  You may have to go to a one size larger screw if that one is not anchored tightly into the wall. 

Thanks. Turns out that the phillips is just holding the fabric in place (no holes in the plastic frame in this area). I just discovered that the problem was a loose screw at the lower left corner (square drive) of the screen frame (you can see the cover over the screw in the very bottom of my photo) - I removed this screw completely and realized that his was holding the screen frame in place - I replaced it, tightened it up and all seems well :)

Thanks for the info on the belly pan. I can push it up about 4" in some places which seemed like a lot to me - just concerned it might catch on something at some point - seems to be the low point on the trailer.

Any suggestions on how to re-attach the sagging fabric above the stargazer window?
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    The sagging fabric is a new one on me.  The fabric "buttons" are decorative screw covers and they can (gently) be popped off revealing the screws underneath.  You might check to see if those screws are still tight.  That may draw the fabric up tighter.  In any case that fabric is just decorative--with maybe some insulating value over the bed.  I don't know to what material the fabric is applied but I suspect it may be some type of cardboard material with little structural integrity.
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @Michael49 I had the same problem with the sagging headliner. It wasn't doing any harm but is a little unsightly. As luck would have it when I had the trailer at the uCamp rally a NuCamp employee noticed it and told me how it could be fixed. It needs an additional button in between the two buttons on the left in your picture. The screw and backing goes in first and then the fabric cover pops on to conceal the screw. Order up as many as you need and it is an easy DIY repair. Hope that helps.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline