Options

Replacement awning/visor poles

gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
I have split poles in both my PaHaQue awning and XL Visor.  Is there a consensus regarding replacement poles?  Something I could buy from Amazon, perhaps?

Comments

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    edited May 2019
    @gooselady -    We've had awning and XL Visor poles split a couple of times.  Called Pahaque service and they replaced them in a timely manner.  There may or may not be a charge depending on age of the visor.  They have been generous on the issue most times.  

Have the split poles in front of you along with a tape measure when you call.  They  will have questions on the length and number of ferrules (the metal sleeve) on the split poles.  

They were great to work with.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    edited January 2022
    I have managed to split two poles in the last couple of years.  The first time I was provided a replacement, but I kept the broken set of poles.  I called Pahaque again and asked for an individual replacement segment, and they sent me one.
    I asked Pahaque the size of the poles, since there are many vendors selling replacement fiberglass segments.  The broken segments are easy to replace, thanks to, of course, a YouTube video.
    The poles Pahaque use are 9.5 mm.  As SweetlyHome points out, they will ask you the length of the pole.
    In the long run, I wound up with two sets of poles for my awning, which is nice to have as a backup.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I bought this kit to repair a broken pole in a regular (not XL) visor and it worked. 
    Texsport 3/8-Inch Tent Pole Replacement Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AWDKF8/
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Thanks, I ordered the kit.  Hopefully, it will work.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I recently had to replace three sections of my PahaQue awning pole. These are relatively large poles (~25" long by 1/2" in diameter) that are harder to find on Amazon or other quick go-to vendors. PahaQue sells them, but I almost choked on the shipping cost which was over twice the price of the poles.
    I ended up ordering them from Tent Pole Technologies and was very pleased. You can order any combination of length and diameter for your particular application. Individual replacement sections can be ordered with or without ferrules. Shipping--even coast to coast--is very reasonable.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    So the awning pole is 25’, what is the exact length of a visor pole? Thanks! 
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    @ScottG thank you! Holy smokes! This is exactly what I have been looking for. How many sections do you think it should be for an XL awning? 

• Options
    edited July 2019
    @ColleenD2, I'm not sure if the awning pole is 25 feet total--each section of the pole is ~25 inches. I only replaced the three sections that were broken. I do think Tent Pole Technologies can also provide an entire pole built to your specs if you wish.
    I don't have a visor so I have no idea how long the entire pole is, or the dimensions of the sections. Your best bet would be to measure an actual pole and just duplicate that. Maybe someone with an XL visor can help out if you don't have one of your own handy.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited April 2023
    To clarify for anyone following this, the replacement sections for the PahaQue 320 awning are 25-3/4" (without the ferrule) and 1/2" (12.7mm) in diameter. I'm not sure if the same applies to the PahaQue visors.
    The final section on one end is shorter than the others, but I didn't need that one so I didn't measure it.
    I reused my ferrules as they were not damaged. They are glued on to the poles, but the glue is pretty brittle and after four years most of mine fell off on their own. I used a dab of silicone caulking to re-glue them.
    You may need to remove the grommet pin on one end to cut and extract the shock cord. If your shock cord has lost its spring it might be a good time to replace that as well.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I went out and measured the Tab XL Visor Poles. 

When I replaced one of my pole sets a year or so ago, the PahaQue people told me the Visor poles are 9.5mm in diameter.  I removed the little plastic nipple covers from the end for the measurement.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    We just split another pole on our XL Visor, needed a replacement, and wanted spares.  Although Pahaque service has been good it doesn't seem to be their thing.  Wait times can be long and there is apparently a freight issue.  Thus we decided to go the Amazon route.

We chose this Coleman Replacement Tent Pole Kit:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046VJV9A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are advertised as 27 inches long, they are a direct replacement for the ferruled sections on our XL visor.  The ferrules can be removed to replace the section with no ferrule.

We are very pleased at this point as we replaced a section and obtained 3 spares at a good price with little hassle. Only time will tell on quality.  Pahaque should take notice.

Note/Question:  I confirmed the fiberglass rods are 9.5mm diameter (0.374016 inches or .375).  I believe the ferrules measure 1/2" diameter. Our T@B is in storage and I can confirm this.

• Options
    Thanks for the info. It sounds like the visor uses a smaller (3/8") diameter pole than the awning--when I was looking those were much more readily available from a variety of vendors.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited July 2019
    I went out and measured the Tab XL Visor Poles. 

When I replaced one of my pole sets a year or so ago, the PahaQue people told me the Visor poles are 9.5mm in diameter.  I removed the little plastic nipple covers from the end for the measurement.

So what is this measurement? I see 226. 226 what? centimeters, inches?
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Sorry, Inches!  I guess I cropped off the 18 foot mark over on the far left. 
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    I just need to know if you all are making up the word “ferruled”. 😂😂😂

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Lesson learned Check the Forum First ! !  :|
    I just ordered one visor pole section from PahaQue
    Cost was only $ 5.00 with $ 24.70 shipping

Next time I'll be using Amazon items @Marceline & @SweetlyHome found.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    @ColleenD2, nope we didn't make up the word ferrule. It first hear it in regard to tent poles in my conversations with PahaQue service.  However I used the word regularly in 40 years of work.  However calling something ferruled is likely not proper usage.

A formal definition.  

fer·rule
    /ˈferəl/
    noun
    1. a ring or cap, typically a metal one, which strengthens the end of a handle, stick, or tube and prevents it from splitting or wearing.
      • a metal band strengthening or forming a joint.

• Options
    Yeah, @MuttonChops, shipping for my three poles would have been pushing $35 UPS ground. And it went up--at a 7.5lb rate--for every pole I added.

I wanted to order something else as well and combine the shipping costs, but pole replacements can only be ordered online, and the other item could only be ordered by phone...  :-/

Shipping from Tent Pole Technologies (also on the west coast) was ~$12 Priority Mail, and I could add five poles ($4 each without ferrules) before the cost increased.

Admittedly, you will probably do even better with Amazon's free shipping, if you can find exactly what you need. TPT will build anything to spec.

Better yet, don't try setting up your shelters in a high wind.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    I bought my XL Visor in 2014 …    sections of pole have broken.  over the years about 3 times   called PahaQue  gave them the measurement of the broken section.. sent new one ..  no charge..   Lifetime Warranty on materials and workmanship..  5 years on the fabric...  
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    You were lucky, @manny. PahaQue's current web site explicitly states that poles are normal wear items (or some such thing), are not covered under warranty, and can not be ordered via phone.

Either they have changed the policy, or they don't enforce it. Maybe the key is to call as you did and just get a live person on the phone.
    2015 T@B S