Options

Inexpensive Removable Covers for 320S Under Bench (rear) Storage Compartments.

BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
I did this modification back in early May, but failed to post it.  I am doing that now just in case someone else finds it useful.

We wanted some lightweight and inexpensive covers (lids) to enclose the compartments below the retractable bench at the back end of our T@B 320S.  To accomplish that, I made lids using thin (1/8") fiberboard type paneling, which is white on one side.  I forgot to note the specific product I purchased (at Home Depot), but I think it was a 4' x 8' board and probably had MDF on the white side.  However, you could just as easily use something like a 1/4" thick poplar.  After measuring the compartment openings, I had Home Depot cut them to size (three panels.)  Before getting to the details, the first two photos below show the finished product:

There are two panels for the passenger side and one for the smaller driver's side compartment (which is adjacent to the Alde compartment.)

To support the panels, I added a piece of 0.75" x 1.5" Select Pine (which I purchased in a 6' length) across the width of the compartment openings in three locations.  The next three photos depict where I placed those supports.  The photos with the red arrows depict the rearward supports for the passenger and driver's side sections of those compartments.  The photo with the yellow arrow shows a center support that is located about 1/2 the distance between the front and rear ends of the longer  passenger side compartment.  Each support is itself supported with a small piece of the same pine wood, secured to the compartment plywood sidewall and or 2" x 4" board with a single screw.  I used Gorilla Glue to secure the longer supports (cross-bars) across the compartment openings.

The two larger (passenger side) panels are approximately 31" x 18 1/2" in size.  The smaller panel (driver's side) is approximately 31" x 13".  I could have actually made the longer measurement about 32", which would have been better, so that is what I would recommend for anyone who would like to do this modification.  To keep the panels in place so that they will not slide around, I glued three thin wood "stops" (using lattice wood) to the reverse side of each panel (green arrows in the below photos.)  Finally, I added a 3/4" inch diameter rubber grommet to one end of each panel so that I can easily lift the panel with my finger.  I would have preferred about a 1" grommet, but Home Depot was completely out of them and Ace Hardware only had 3/4."  Works OK, but I would have preferred the larger size grommet.

For very little cost, they turned out pretty nice and will serve the purpose for which they are intended.  If you use thicker wood to make similar covers, you could design them with the same lift handle that nüCamp uses for their storage lids under the passenger and driver's side seats.  (Greg) 
2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Comments

• Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    Nice! Great way to keep behind the couch stored items from falling down into the outside storage area. 

I noticed the blue bins on your back shelf that look like they were made for that space. Do you remember where you got those?
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2019
    @SubaruLou , my wife purchased them at Target.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    Thank you! I will start this project tomorrow.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa