Picking up a 2020 Tab 400 & looking for camping/surf recommendations between Portland and Santa Cruz

daviddendavidden Member Posts: 38
Heading to Portland, OR from Santa Cruz, CA next week to pick up this 2020 Tab 400 BD Lite. I'm towing with a 2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited 4WD with air springs and a weight distribution system. This is our first camper, and I didn't want to take any risks with swaying. Any other advice for my trip back to Santa Cruz? I'm especially looking for camping location recommendations where I can surf. I think I'd like to start with hook-up spots, if possible. Excited to join the nuCamp family! This forum has been a terrific resource as we were making our decision to buy.
  • 2020 T@B 400 BD Lite, white with blue accent line
  • 2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited 4WD with air springs
  • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
  • Surfer, Co-Founder of ventanasurfboards.com

Comments

• SnappytoesSnappytoes Member Posts: 5
    My husband and I just picked up our 2020 Tab 400 BD Lite ten days ago from Vogels RV in Ukiah.  We camped for a night at at a KOA in Willits.  It’s not our cup of tea, but it was good test all the systems and then go back to the dealership to get minor things fixed.  We are very pleased with our trailer and hope to boondock at Seacliff this week.  We are from Corralitos, so we are neighbors.  We have friends in Portland and hope to visit them soon, so I’ll be interested in where you camp on the Oregon coast.  
  • daviddendavidden Member Posts: 38
    Thanks! Let’s connect in Santa Cruz! I’m looking to camp around Fort Bragg. Any things I should consider on my first run to make it easier?
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    davidden said:
    Thanks! Let’s connect in Santa Cruz! I’m looking to camp around Fort Bragg. Any things I should consider on my first run to make it easier?
    I came down from Portland to Ft Bragg via Grants Pass/Crescent City last summer and I would caution that the stretch from Leggett to Ft Bragg will probably be white knuckle driving for someone who's never towed a trailer before. It is narrow and twisty and I spent probably 20 miles of it in 2nd gear (I have been towing trailers for 20 years). Something to think about if that's the route you're planning. It's been awhile since I driven Highway 20 from Willits to Ft Bragg but I think that it's not quite as hairy.

Also - you're welcome to join the NorCal T@B group to connect with other Northern California T@Bbers.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/norcaltabfamily/

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Thanks! Just asked to Join the group. That sounds like a sketchy drive for me. Perhaps heading to Eureka makes more sense. 
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
    @Snappytoes, one more thing. Where are you storing your Tab. I'm on the westside of Santa Cruz and don't have space at my house for it. The place I was going to store it near here doesn't have space. Still looking for options that are relatively close. I assume if you're in Corralitos that you have enough land to keep it on your property. 
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
  • SnappytoesSnappytoes Member Posts: 5
    I agree with Marceline about the roads into Fort Bragg.  We have a client in Mendocino who advised us not to bring the trailer over those roads until we were a bit more experienced. Like you, we are newbies to the RV world, although I do have 10 years of horse trailer towing experience with our Ford F-250.  I think with your rig setup, the trailer should be easy to tow.  I would stick to US 101 or even I-5 for the first time around but that’s just me.  As to storing our trailer, it fits right next to our house.  Perhaps there’s a RV storage place in Scotts Valley? I think there is one at the old Sky Park.  Definitely we should connect.  I’m so happy to have another Tab 400 owner in the county!
    Thanks @Snappytoes. There is one in Scotts Valley, but it’s super expensive. I might just have to bite the bullet. Let’s connect soon. 
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
    davidden said:
    Thanks @Snappytoes. There is one in Scotts Valley, but it’s super expensive. I might just have to bite the bullet. Let’s connect soon. 
    You're welcome to post a request for storage suggestions in the NorCal group. I know there are some other T@Bs in the Santa Cruz area.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @davidden - Welcome!  I agree with the comments of Leggett to Ft Bragg... A bit white knuckle for your first trip!  Did like camping at Stillwater Cove on our way to Santa Rosa though.  Being a Huntington Beach girl... just saying... you are a bit north for great waves! ;)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

Thanks! We wound up going from Portland to Bullards Beach State Park in Oregon. Heading down the coast to Arcata, CA right now. Tab 400 was amazing on our first run. 
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @davidden - Bullards is great.  Personally love Richardson's Grove, just beyond Garberville... but there won't be surfing!  Safe travels!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

davidden said:
    Thanks! We wound up going from Portland to Bullards Beach State Park in Oregon. Heading down the coast to Arcata, CA right now. Tab 400 was amazing on our first run. 
    I stayed at Patrick's Point SP just north of Arcata last summer. It was a nice campground but no hookups. I'm not sure if there's surfing there. I think that someone else here on the forum might have mentioned a nice full hookup campground around there but I can't remember the name.

Further south, it can be hard to score a campsite in Humboldt Redwoods State Park, but last year I managed to score what must've been a midweek cancellation.

Have a good trip!

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    @Marceline We’re staying in Arcata tonight. Haven’t found good surf yet, but we’re still looking.
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the help folks! Didn’t find good surf this week, but the T@B 400 was a dream. Great father/daughter trip to break it in! Made it home to Santa Cruz this evening. Can’t wait to head out again! 

• Santa Cruz, Calfornia