Options

TV modifications to increase gas mileage

I had a conversation with a friend about ways to increase gas mileage on my TV and he mentioned Cold Air Intakes and Tuners as a way to increase both horsepower and gas mileage. I did some research and it seems pretty mixed as to weather either work for increasing gas mileage. Has anyone tried either or both and had any success with them?
 20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    There are small things you can do to
    increase mileage like maintaining proper tire inflation, eliminating wind drag, minimize use of air conditioning, coasting on inclines, keeping speeds below 65 mph, eliminate travel in mountain areas, etc.  But the cold hard facts about towing a larger and heavier trailer like a 320 or 400 T@B is that once you hook onto one of these trailers your mileage is going to drop dramatically.   You might as well realize that fuel costs are going to go up and your wallet is going to be a lot lighter when you reach your destination.  I hear a lot of miraculous claims of outstanding gas mileage, etc. but the reality is that wind drag, added load weight and gravity play a big role in dramatically lowering mileage rates on long cross-country trips.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2019
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Best way to increase gas mileage is with a very light right foot.
    @N7SHG_Ham is correct. If you have a way to instantly monitor your MPG while driving you'll notice any time you start from a stop the mileage is virtually zero. A big help is to anticipate traffic slowing ahead of you and get off the accelerator. Also, if you know you're coming to stop sign or turn, same thing, get off the gas. Accelerate slowly, you're not going to win a drag race anyway. I see people passing others then immediately hitting the brakes to make their turn or exit. I use these techniques and get 17.5 MPG with a F150 towing in the Ozark Mountains. I'm sure it will be less when I head West next year. It will also save your TV and trailer brakes. 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I have a cold air intake on my Tundra 5.7l which I believe helps with power and perhaps MPG (sounds good too).   I agree that the best method to maximise MPG is a light foot and anticipating hills and stops as mentioned above. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Our 15 y/o 3.3L 6cyl Sienna van dropped from 22mpg to 14 towing our 320S, which is probably typical.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Best way to increase gas mileage is with a very light right foot.
    @N7SHG_Ham is correct. If you have a way to instantly monitor your MPG while driving you'll notice any time you start from a stop the mileage is virtually zero. A big help is to anticipate traffic slowing ahead of you and get off the accelerator. Also, if you know you're coming to stop sign or turn, same thing, get off the gas. Accelerate slowly, you're not going to win a drag race anyway. I see people passing others then immediately hitting the brakes to make their turn or exit. 
    I got a good lesson in this when I borrowed a friend's V8 Suburban to tow a little (1400lb) boat trailer.
    I tromped on the gas when someone tried to cut me off on an on-ramp and I swear I could see the fuel gauge drop (I did win that drag race, though). 😄
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    We try to always go down hill. Roads that go south seem to work to. No really keeping speed at 60 mph or less works best for us although I rarely do.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for all the ideas. We did our maiden voyage this past weekend. We drove about 300 miles from Madison to Minocqua. On the way up I drove 65 mph and got about 10 mpg. After starting this post and using some of the ideas stated in the post I got about 14 mpg. I drove 60 mph and coasted when I could on down grades and anticipated stops.
    Again thanks for the help, love this site.
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Speed and aerodynamics are the biggest things you can manipulate with our trailers.  I’m never in much of a hurry so I stay under 58mph.   If I push it past this mileage really drops.  I also pull with a truck.  With a topper it pulls so much easier than without.  Without the topper it feels like I’m pulling a brick wall.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Hi bike racks, roof rack and cargo box, on trailer and TV also influence.  All the unecessary weight of the nice to have but hardly never use also influence fuel millage.

And add to that trying to go fast, only make it worst.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    So to the point of improving gas mileage and performance with intakes and tuning...yes and no. Intakes improve air flow through the mass air sensor. In theory the extra flow can result in the MAS sending more fuel to the motor...giving a performance boost...most re-sellers offering these are very careful to downplay the actual performance effect as it is typically less than 2 or 3 percent, if anything. More intake airflow without improving the rest of the flow tuning (intake, headers, exhaust) will always provide superficial results. Most modern motors are already tuned to optimize the intake and airflow so these "tuning tricks" are less effective now than they were on older motors where a K&N intake would make a noticeable difference. They do sound better...the boost you might achieve may be more audible than measurable. If you do use one of these intake kits you end up with a filter that you will need to clean and re-oil. 
    Next, making wholesale tuning changes by re-mapping the motors computer (ECU) is a known method for improving performance and increasing HP...it may or may not improve gas mileage, usually not. Tuning is generally focussed upon HP. Most tuning voids warranties so you need to really think through this before you try it. And, it's pricey.
    The best advice is to buy the right TV with the needed HP and drive it carefully with a light foot. Don't pile things on the roof that increase drag (those kayaks and bikes are not helping the MPG). 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @tabiphile, TaBs are much taller than most TVs and offer a lot of resistance.   Would some kind of ‘scoop” mounted to the back of a TV help to deflect air up over the trailer?  I think I have seen those on the roofs of some semi trucks.  I know they have those plastic, stick-ons that mount on the back of a TV.  They are supposed to improve MPG, but I think unless you use a LOT of those, they are fairly useless.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    @tabiphile , I have a K&N on my 97 GTI, and the 2 percent improvement is ignored because of the great engine note!

If tuners can program ECU chips for performance, would the engine maps for towing be effective or useful?  I see companies with them on the web.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    edited September 2019
    drive slower,   55-60.   occasionally 65 mph when the wind are calm,  road are flats...    i get 19 mpg.   there is no mod you can do to increase mpg that wont have a compromise   
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Sharon_is_SAM there are definitely aero improvement devices that help. Look at a modern aero semi truck, lots of aero stuff and some of the new ones are near and above 10 MPG loaded, makes most Tab TV look pathetic when you look at size and HP.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    @Sharon_is_SAM Streamlining can't hurt but figuring out the right balance between actually changing airflow over the TV and T@B adding drag could be interesting....does anyone have a wind tunnel handy?  
  • Options
    One of our brainiac members has posted air flow charts in the past.  Who was that...@MuttonChops?
  • Options
    Maybe if we get @MuttonChops together with our 3D printer member, they can create an air deflector that we can all buy and they can retire!
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Maybe if we get @MuttonChops together with our 3D printer member, they can create an air deflector that we can all buy and they can retire!
    Easier to just buy an egg and tape it the the throttle, when you break it try again :)
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    If you Google RV trailer air deflectors you find a lot of info claiming they are not worth the money except one.  It has been reviewed by many, and claims are that it works. 
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    I put Airtabs on my TV which is a 2014 F-150 5.0L engine, with an ARE canopy. Being a skeptic I taped them on. I put them on the top and down the sides of the canopy only. Towing the 320 cs-s, without the Airtabs, 3000 miles last fall we got 12.4 mpg based on the truck computer mpg average. We just returned from a 1600 mile trip with the Airtabs. The computer registered 13.9 mpg as an average. Bear in mind this may not be a very credible comparision as there are always many variables not taken into account. There is enough of a benefit(perceived or otherwise) for me to now try them on the T@B. Airtabs are not deflectors but are vortex generators. Vgs speed up the air as it passes and directs the air into a vortex. The air stays organized to pass over the trailer rather than dissipate into turbulence between the TV and the trailer. Placing them on the trailer should keep the air organized until well back of the trailer. One thing that is without dispute, the Airtabs keep the rear of canopy free from dust accumulation. I live on, at times, a very dusty road. Pete
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    LOL  =)    Already Am Retired

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    RoseK said:
    I put Airtabs on my TV which is a 2014 F-150 5.0L engine, with an ARE canopy.
    I've considered Airtabs but my TV (pickup, no canopy) might not see any TV/Trailer Airflow Gap improvement.  Airtabs remain on my maybe someday list.
    Driving back roads, staying under 60, yields 16+MPG so I'm in no rush . . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    jrhamel said:
    Thanks for all the ideas. We did our maiden voyage this past weekend. We drove about 300 miles from Madison to Minocqua. On the way up I drove 65 mph and got about 10 mpg. After starting this post and using some of the ideas stated in the post I got about 14 mpg. I drove 60 mph and coasted when I could on down grades and anticipated stops.
    Again thanks for the help, love this site.
    Me too! My first trip was from Madison to tomahawk. My JGC Trailhawk had been getting about 22mpg. With my new 320s attached, going between 60-65, I got about 14 going North and about 13 going South. Becoming used to traveling slow. Doing a lot of anticipating stops and gradual accelerations. Cruise control when appropriate makes it easier. I'll note that, after dropping the T@B my TV sure feels zippy!

Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Airtabs might be beneficial if you have a boxy TV or a boxy trailer. I think they would have minimal effect on a T@B but could help on your TV if you tow with a van or your pickup truck has a topper.
    Semi-truck studies have shown a deflector must be mounted far back on the cab close to the trailer to work.
    It's more productive to ensure the trailer body is as aero as possible.
    So what a T@B needs is a deflector set that mounts onto the keder rail. :)
    As @tabiphile says you would need a wind tunnel plus an industrial size 3D printer to create some prototypes.
    Then you have to weigh the costs against mpg savings based on towing mileage over a year.
    For example, if you boost mpg by 1.5, how long does it take to breakeven on the deflector project? 
    Another downside -- how would you feel if your teardrop ends up looking like the Weinermobile?
    I think I'll just go easy on the gas pedal and wait for a wind behind my back. ;)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    @TabberJohn - that is why I thought it may work for a minivan.  
    “Semi-truck studies have shown a deflector must be mounted far back on the cab close to the trailer to work.”

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    We found in our last trip that wing mirror extensions were an incredible fuel waster.  18MPG without the extenders vs. 15MPG with @ 60MPH.  Am looking at a rear-view camera to see behind!  Mirrors are in the cellar.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2019
    @rh5555 , if that's the case, then you need to keep the mirrors, and deploy them only when you have a tailwind!
    Better yet, get two or three sets, and mount them on the tab too!
    At 3mpg per set, you'd be making fuel in no time! =)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya