Options

Just Winterized @stro

jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
The temperatures are dipping into the 30's here in Northeast Ohio, and so after watching Creed's video on the NuCamp Facebook page, Patrick's video from @Travels_with_delaney, and going through the user manual again on the process, we have - I believe - successfully winterized @stro, our 2019 T@B 400. 

Basically, we first lifted the front end up a bit to enlist the help of gravity in draining things. Next, we opened each low point drain (one at a time, with the sink spigot open and in the middle position to provide a bit of venting), drained the Alde and Alde Flow, drained the fresh water tank, and put the Alde water heater into bypass.

We then closed up the drains and moved inside to disconnect the input hose to the water pump in the closet floor and insert it into the jug of antifreeze. (Note: We did have to cut a bigger opening in the top of the antifreeze jug to accommodate the fitting on the hose). 

We turned on the water pump, waited a few seconds for it to prime, and then ran the kitchen sink on both the cold and hot sides of the faucet until it ran pink. We did the same with the bathroom sink, inside shower, and outside shower. I elected to remove the inside shower wand as I'd heard some stories of it freezing despite having antifreeze. Finally, I flushed the toilet until it ran pink as well. 

I turned off the water pump then opened both the black and gray tank gate valves for just a second to ensure a bit of antifreeze made its way through them. 

As a last step, we poured the remaining antifreeze down the sink and shower drains to make sure the traps were full. 

We ended up using two full gallons of Absolute Zero RV antifreeze which we got at Walmart for under $4.00 a gallon. It is alcohol free. 

Total cost: Under $10.00. Total time: About 30 minutes, which included the time it took for the water to fully drain from everything. 

The winterization process generates a fair bit of conversation (not to mention angst), but it was incredibly easy - almost to the point where I'm wondering if I missed something! So for anyone feeling anxious about it, I'm here to tell you it could not have been more straightforward. 

Thanks to Creed and Patrick for the clear and confidence-inspiring videos, too! 

Jim
Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Sounds like you got it. I think the mystery comes from the $100 it costs to have it done and folks thinking it must be hard.

Your work will be graded in the spring :)
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    @N7SHG_Ham - Yes it will! I'll have to report back to this thread in April and give an honest evaluation of how well I did :-) 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,499
    Great job! After two seasons of patient coaching (thank you @ericnliz!) I’ve figured it out and taught a friend how to winterize her 320S last month. When we were done I asked if that was worth the $125 the dealers charge to do the same thing. We had a good laugh over that as we’ve both pretty self sufficient in most things Tab. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart - Thanks! The years have taught me that I should know and respect my own limitations and some work is best left to the professionals, but none of the systems in a T@B - including the mysterious Alde - are as complicated as most folks think.  

If you laid out the tanks, lines, fixtures, drains, pump, etc. in your driveway without a trailer surrounding it, it would be easier to see just how straightforward it all is. 

Plus, there is a certain feeling of pride and accomplishment when you DIY, and I think it connects you more to the whole experience of having a camper.