Hitch Drop

AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
My 1 1/4" shank receiver is approx 14.5" from ground to top of receiver. Bottom of hitch opening on trailer is just under 16" from ground. Does a 1.25" delta make a significant difference? Doesn't seem worth it as a 2" rise would put me 3/4" over...chasing my tail? 
2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
'04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
San Diego, CA
www.airbossone.com
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    You may want to sit a little nose up to compensate for the weight on the tongue from the TV.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Thanks, Sharon. Good point. I'm picking up the trailer Saturday and will gauge at that time. Short tow to the storage location. I'm having difficulty finding a 2" rise with 1 1/4" shank. Putting an adapter to 2" shank seems to significantly decrease tongue-weight capacity so I'd like to stay with 1 1/4". 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

I thought you needed a class 3 hitch with a  2 inch receiver for towing the TaB?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My T@B is not here right now, but I believe that is the warning label that was on my 320 and my 400, @Sharon_is_SAM.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @AirBoss, what TV are you using and what hitch?
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    AirBoss said:
    My 1 1/4" shank receiver is approx 14.5" from ground [[ A ]] to top of receiver.
    Bottom of hitch opening on trailer is just under 16" [[ B ]] from ground.
    Assuming you have a Class II set-up with a tow vehicle 350 pound maximum tongue weight and a typical T@B 320 traveling tongue weight of around 200 pounds
                                        - - - Expect you will have Tow Vehicle rear sag.  - - -
    So I would start with a 2 inch rise [[ C ]] drawbar.

Also suggest you play with Tow Vehicle (TV) cargo load position (as much weight in front of rear axle as possible) and T@B loading to help manage tongue weight and TV rear sag.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited December 2019
    2019 Volvo XC60 T6 towing a 400.

https://www.mclaughlinvolvo.com/research/xc40-xc60-xc90-towing-capacity.htm

I was curious about the hitch too. I'd only seen smaller than 2" receivers used for bike / storage racks, though theoretically a Class II is good for up to 300 / 3500 lbs.  But a 2020 400 tongue weight is 380-400 lbs, right?  Not 300 lbs typical of a Class II.  There are always exceptions though. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited December 2019
    Definitely can NOT tow any 400 with a Class II hitch, a 320 or Tag might be doable.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    Thanks all.  Good feedback.  First time posting pics so hope it works. Here goes...

Took the day visit highly-regarded trailer supply shop here in San Diego (been around since 1948). They were kind enough to loan me a cool tongue weight gauge device after investigating my TV (2019 Volvo XC 60 T6) and the hitch (OEM retractable hitch/ 3500/350). Then went to T@B dealer. They are completing accessory installs. Tongue weight on my trailer (with box and propane tanks installed) came in at +/- 325lbs (checked it 5 times with no variance). Took a spin around the lot with dealer walking with me while I went "hard over" on the wheel taking sharp turns. The new box (super light-weight but larger than I anticipated) came a bit too close to TV for my comfort so back to supply shop for a short hitch extender so I have a bit more clearance in sharp turns. May trim down the box (45 the corners, etc.) at some point as well. Configuration looks about right front to back.  

TV performed as expected. Automatic sway control engaged and vehicle ride height adjusted automatically, and it ran a vehicle/trailer check for bulbs, etc. All good. Will run further checks.

So, picking it up Saturday, then back to supply shop to install Prodigy RF Brake System before towing to storage facility. Unfortunately I'm leaving town for a week on Sunday so won't be able to do much with/to the new rig until I return. Argh...it's killin' me! 

Thanks again for chiming in here and on other threads as I get up to speed. Learning curve is steep but enjoyable and I appreciate hearing from folks on this forum. Shake down cruises await...

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

@AirBoss ;  Beautiful setup. Sorry about expressing concern on the hitch. I'm probably being paranoid since I had some issues with the hitch bar on my tow vehicle.  It was advertised as Class III, but hitting too many potholes and doing too many unpaved roads cracked the brackets on both sides connecting the bar to the vehicle's frame. Wouldn't want any fellow forum member to go through the same situation.

DougH, no need to apologize my friend. I sincerely appreciate your candor and willingness to share. After all, that's why we're all here, right? I was concerned as well which is why I spent a lot of time investigating a variety of resources, including this forum. All the numbers are below the published limits and as we all know, those are pretty conservative numbers so there's room to go. Though like planning a flight, you don't necessarily want to include your fuel reserves in the equation!  

Ouch! That looks painful. Hope it didn't leave you stranded. Obviously with my TV I'm not going to be doing much that can be regarded as off-roading or trekking on unimproved roads. Find a nice place to boondock without jeopardizing the ride, perhaps. Finding a mountain road to get lost on for a week...not so much.  ;)

Go the TV couple months ago and while I did make note of the towing capabilites, it wasn't my priority. And since I don't anticipate spending the majority of my time towing, I wanted a vehicle that had all the creature comforts one could want but could also tow a teardrop cross-country. Hopefully, that's what I found. Time will tell. 

Thanks again for your input. Always appreciated...regardless of whether it's cautionary or complimentary. 

Cheers! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

@AirBoss ;  Does look Nice, something special about Volvos.

Do keep in mind [ A ] the XC60 is not designed for towing,  [ B ] you will be towing at near 100% of the USA rating  + at a higher percentage of maximum tongue weight, and [ C ]  Volvo says to reduce your tow rating by 10% every 1000m of elevation (typical for gasoline engines).

The 'take away is' Drive Slow. 65 MPH max at sealevel {55 in California ;) }, slower at elevation, and consider adding a transmission temperature monitor.
    Personally, I would not tow with this combination. 66% of my TV miles are towing the T@B and experience with two boat and one T@B has convinced me the trailer maximum weight should be < 75% of the TV tow rating [or even less] to have comfortable (non-stressful) towing.
    AirBoss said:
    . . . while I went "hard over" on the wheel taking sharp turns. The new box (super light-weight but larger than I anticipated) came a bit too close to TV for my comfort so back to supply shop for a short hitch extender  . . .
    Please clarify 'hitch extender';  do you mean a drawbar of increased length, or an additional part between the TV receiver and the drawbar?

An 'additional part' does reduce your Maximum Tongue Weight Rating.
    I've installed the extender as a temp compensation until I've revised the box by 45'ing the corners of the box to increase the clearance. Once that's done, I'll revert back to the standard ball. No extended trips planned in the interim. Inexpensive fix to get me on the road so I can install the Prodigy RF braking system and storage facility. It''s similar to the image you provided, but shorter (2" or so) and no drop/rise (sorry, can find a pic but it's a Draw-Tite). 

Yep, I'm aware that the XC60 is not a RAM 3500 by any stretch (owned one years ago with 3-horse trailer...it was a beast)!  That said, Volvo is by almost all acounts a superior engineered product that has provided for OEM towing capabilities. They purposefuly designed the vehicle to tow to 3500lbs (by most acounts beyond that but I'm not intending to push that), designed the OEM hitch to do so, and on-board software (Trailer Stability Assist and Electronic Control System) coupled with Prodigy RF Trailer Brake System provides a level of comfort that, provided I don't do something really stupid, should treat me well.

And yep...I'm aware that I may be pushin the envelope a bit RE: some of the parameters. Onboard systems are constantly monitoring vehicle performance (including all temps, pressures, ride height, etc.). To your point (and it's a good one that I've investigated), Volvo mentions the reduction of limitations above 3300'MSL. I'll be watching that carefully as well. That said, since I have no plans at this point to take on "Going to the Sun Road" or "Independence Pass" I'm fairly confident I'll be OK. 

All good points, Chops!  Good stuff, indeed and much appreciated! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Understanding you are at your max in ratings you'll want to remove the extender as soon as possible.   All sources state the extenders reduce your ratings by up to 50%.  You'll also have wind resistance and vehicle/ trailer loading to deal with.  Trailer towing is not only about the printed numbers.  I personally feel you are going to destroy the Volvo in a very short time.    But, this will give you a great reason to get a truck.  And stories to tell.

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• seajeeperseajeeper Member Posts: 37

While the towing capacity of the 2019 XC60 is 3500lbs, and it has HUGE brakes, I think the maximum tongue weight is listed as 110kg (242lbs) in the manual. 

2016 Max S, 2011 Volvo XC60

edited December 2019
    When I picked up our baby, the dealership wouldn't even let me hitch up with our diesel station wagon (rated for 350 tongue weight, and 3950 lbs towing).  The car came with 280 ft-lbs of torque, and I'd added a Class III hitch (which I later found out wasn't exactly from a world class manufacturer), and a Tekonsha brake controller.

So I had to borrow DW's SUV to bring the camper from Austin home to D/FW.  That was 60,000 miles ago and a hundred successful mountain passes ago.

I ended up having to learning to weld, in order to repair and strengthen my hitch setup. But thanks to that isolated hitch problem, I picked up a valuable skill with which to fabricate all sorts of kewl mod ideas I get from this supportive forum.

Your measured hitch weight of 325 seems low. Even assuming it is correct, what happens when you use that nice aluminum box or put gear in the front storage area under the dinette bench. Fill the water tanks and so on?

I think you will be over weight for a class ii hitch regardless of tow ratings Volvo published.

I have a 2019 400 and do realize they shuffled stuff around to get a lighter hitch weight for 2020 models,but I would not pull my 400 with anything that wasn't rated for at least 500/5000. I pull with a full size Ram but not a dually like you had. I still know there is a trailer back there, especially pulling grades.

You might prove us wrong on the capablties of the Volvo as far as performance, but I think you are borderline on the legalities of doing so with that class ii hitch and that is a concern not only for you but every other motorist on the road with you.
    seajeeper said:

While the towing capacity of the 2019 XC60 is 3500lbs, and it has HUGE brakes, I think the maximum tongue weight is listed as 110kg (242lbs) in the manual. 
    FYI, from Owners Manual downloaded off web

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Hmmm... not only is it a 1.25" Class II hitch, it's a folding hitch designed to tuck away when not in use. That can't possibly be as "robust" as a Class III factory tow package. 
    That being said I think you'll be fine -- with a 320, not a 400. :s
    You might want to contact etrailer.com and ask what they think. They have experience with Volvo's.
    Keep in mind 3500 lbs is TOTAL capacity including trailer, gear in TV and trailer, and passenger weight.
    IMO for the long haul trip you're planning the X60 (3500 lbs) is a fine match for a 320, but for the 400 you'd want an X90 (4000-6000 lbs) with a Class III hitch. Even then you'd get some flack from the truck crowd here. ;)

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    All good stuff, folks. Thanks much to everyone. Towed it today about 100 miles. After switching to Dynamic Ride control is smoothed out even more. Certainly knew it was back there and the Prodigy RF brake control really worked well. 

That said, and with complete recognition of the limitations of the TV which I knew going into all this, I'm looking into a gently used P/U for tow vehicle.

Last thing I want to do is put the Volvo in jeopardy long-term...but even more, any possible impact ( no pun intended) on fellow travellers. 

Time will tell. Short trip/shake down cruise from 26-29Dec. That will go a long way in making up my mind. 

Appreciate the spirit and feedback, folks. Exactly why I joined this forum. Travel safe everyone and Merry Christmas to All! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• KeagriverKeagriver Member Posts: 18
    Hi guys, I have a related question. We are taking delivery this week of a 2020 320S BD Edge (our first RV!). I plan to tow with my 2018 XC60 T5. Factory installed hitch.

After investigation I bought a Tekonsha prodigy rf brake controller. However, I discovered that the dealer installed 7 way connector did not have 12v power connected. The Tekonsha folks said the prodigy requires 12v from the Volvo. The Volvo folks say the alternators don’t put out enough juice to power anything extra. That’s why, they say, they don’t provide power to the 7 way plug.

Clearly many folks use Volvos for modest towing like my 320. What’s your experience? @AirBoss and @N7SHG_Ham any wiring issues? Thanks.
    2020 T@b 320 S BD Edge,
    2018 Toyota 4Runner 
    Bowdoinham, Maine
    Yes, you must have a charge wire to charge your battery and run your brakes.  Tell them to make it 10 gauge.
    You need power for the brakes obviously and that also keeps your battery charged while towing, the trailer battery is the power for the brakes in an emergency situation where the trailer came unhooked from the Volvo.

I am amazed that Volvo rates a vehicle for towing where the alternator is so overwhelmed by a small trailer.

One of the things that grinds my gears is manufacturers rating something to tow that really can't and I think they primarily do that to sell vehicles. Everybody wants to tow, so let's say we can, grrrr
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Keagriver the @2Cougs towed with a Volvo and might have insight for you. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    The service guy at the dealership told me that the official Volvo line is that modern Volvo’s have so many electronics that an additional draw like a small trailer might cause other faults to show up. However, he also admitted that many people seem to do just fine while towing. So I’m paying extra to run power from the TV to the 7 way so that the brake controller works properly and the battery gets recharged.

Boy, the things you learn!

thanks for the suggestions. I’d still like to hear if anyone towing with a Volvo has had any problems.
    2020 T@b 320 S BD Edge,
    2018 Toyota 4Runner 
    Bowdoinham, Maine
    I did not have any issues with towing the 400 with the XC60 T6 on the three or four occasions. That said, the 400 was not fully loaded. It was wet with twin propane tanks and some personal gear, but not fully ready to hit the road.

Was told by Volvo Service Mgr. the vehicle can handle the electrical requirements w/o difficulty. As for towing the 400, it would not be best.

I made the decision to purchase the Tahoe Z71 as the TV as the Volvo would likely have been over-taxed. 

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

@AirBoss thanks. I have a 320, so I don’t think tow weight is an issue. The issue I had was whether the Volvo alternator would be able to keep up with the car and the 320. I take it you didn’t have any problems?
    2020 T@b 320 S BD Edge,
    2018 Toyota 4Runner 
    Bowdoinham, Maine
    No sir. But again, I didn't tow for long distance. I'm only going off what I was told by service mgr. And perhaps there's a difference between your 2018 T5 and my 2019 T6? Dunno...

Did you install the Volvo fully integrated drop-down hitch? 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com