Sumo Springs on a Tacoma

JbreunigJbreunig Member Posts: 25
edited December 2019 in Trailer & Towing
Pulling a 2020 Tab 400 with my 2017 Tacoma.  Truck definitely sits low in the back with a load and Tab attached.  Also have some bounce when towing.  Thinking of installing Sumo Springs.  Looking for Pros and Cons and anyone with a Tacoma that may have a solution.

Comments

• daviddendavidden Member Posts: 38
    I have a 2016 Tacoma Limited and just bought a 2020 Tab 400. I had air springs installed with an auto inflation remote. I’ve found that I probably didn’t need them. The tongue weight doesn’t seem to be enough to really require them. That said, I expect I’ll inflate to 15-20 psi if also have a load in the truck bed while towing at some point.  
    • 2020 T@B 400 BD Lite, white with blue accent line
    • 2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited 4WD with air springs
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
    • Surfer, Co-Founder of ventanasurfboards.com
  • DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    I have a 2010 Tacoma and a 2019 T@b 400.  My truck also appeared to sag with the trailer hooked up.  We installed the Firestone Ride-Rite airbag springs and now its easy to keep everything level.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • gnudad2gnudad2 Member Posts: 32
    Mine's a 2015 and one of the first things I did was to install Sumo springs to keep things level with a load in the bed and the T@B in tow.  They work great and were a cinch to install.
    Tom & Susan & Della
    2017 320S / 2015 Tacoma TRDSport
  • greggillgreggill Member Posts: 45
    I have a 2014 Tacoma and for the last couple of months have been pulling a 2019 400. I have been wondering the same thing. I don't currently have air bags but haven't really noticed much sag. I haven't really had the truck heavily loaded though. Another thing I have been unsure of is the use of a sway bar. I don't have one yet but haven't had sway issues.
  • daviddendavidden Member Posts: 38
    There are some good threads on this forum about sway bars. I’d never towed anything before so I got one of those, too. Also not sure I really need it, but the peace of mind has been nice, and I’ll keep using it. I believe the Tacoma has some sway control built into the tow package already though. One bummer about the sway bar is that you’re supposed to remove it when backing up. 
    • 2020 T@B 400 BD Lite, white with blue accent line
    • 2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited 4WD with air springs
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
    • Surfer, Co-Founder of ventanasurfboards.com
  • JbreunigJbreunig Member Posts: 25
    I am using a Reese sway bar set up on my Tacoma with the T@b 400.  I really like it.  I definitely notice the difference on the highway when I do not have the sway control set high enough.  I usually pop it off when I get to a camp ground with tight maneuvering or backing up.  It is very simple and quick to remove, you just pull two pins.  The only downside is setting the friction control is somewhat by feel.  Several times I have pulled over after a few miles and tightened the setting when I have felt sway.  That will probable get better as I gain more experience in setting the sway control.
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Jbreunig  Thought your question was about rear sag.  Sway control has nothing to do with sag, just sway.  I've used Airlifts on older(1st gen) Tacomas with various trailers.  They work great.  You can deflate when not needed.  I don't need them on my 2019 with  my 320.  But if I ever load it to point of sagging I'll be getting a set of Airlifts.  BTW, the ones for the 3rd gen Tacoma are completely bolt on, no drilling at all.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• CaschettaCaschetta Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2019
    We tow our 400 with a 2011 Xterra 4x4. Xterra's have a notoriously soft rear suspension. I put the higher weight rated sumo springs on and they are great. With just a few kids and baseball gear, the Xterra would bottom out. So you can imagine the idea of hauling the trailer was a concern. No more bottoming out even with the 400 attached. It helps with sag quite a bit. Fully loaded, the tongue sits just about level. I think they're worth it even though the Tacoma rear is probably beefier than the Xterra.
  • NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    I have a 2016 Tacoma and a 2019 400. I have the Firestone airbags in my Tacoma

N@VENOTSE
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite   
    SF Bay Area
  • warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    greggill said:
    Welcome! I have a 400 and Tacoma also. We live in Ohio and just returned from a trip to Florida. Really happy with both trailer and truck. I hope you make many wonderful memories with both.
    We used to live down in Sarasota and this time of year I really miss it!

Would you mind telling how your Taco is set up to tow? I have 1000-lb Sumosprings and no weight distribution hitch and things felt pretty good, but definitely different.
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    @greggill Please tell me more about the Sumosprings. I have a Nissan Frontier with stock suspension and no WDH. I get no sway when towing. My only concern is the clearance between the rear axle and truck frame when loaded with the T@B and cargo in the bed. I've had no issue yet but have been towing only 3 months. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • greggillgreggill Member Posts: 45
    My Taco is just stock. No extra springs or weight distribution hitch. Given that the back end doesn't sag much. I would like to add air bags or springs but haven't yet. I keep the speed around 60-65 and haven't had trouble with sway. I have a gen 2 (2014) with the 5 speed trany so I tow in 4th gear (no over drive). In the mountains of West Virginia it would down shift once and maintain a speed of about 50. It runs about 2500 rpm and seems comfortable with that. The truck has the factory tow package. I had to add the brake controller.
  • boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
    congrats, recent boondock 320 S owner here, n iowa, plugged in sitting in driveway, watching movies, getting ready for texas in jan. 2020. enjoy :)
    2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 
  • warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    @greggill Please tell me more about the Sumosprings. I have a Nissan Frontier with stock suspension and no WDH. I get no sway when towing. My only concern is the clearance between the rear axle and truck frame when loaded with the T@B and cargo in the bed. I've had no issue yet but have been towing only 3 months. 
    I'm jumping in on your question since I am using the Sumosprings. I got the 1,000-lb ones, for about $200 from here, and installed myself on my 2018 Tacoma. Involves taking the U-bolts off the rear axles, and reinstalling with a torque wrench, but I'm no big mechanic and it went fine. They limit my truck's squat to about an inch and a half and are squishy enough to make a soft ride. So far so good!
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    @warbler_road ….after the installation did you have your alignment checked? It seems like altering the stock suspension would affect it when you are not towing.
    @GatorEgg ...your experience?