Options

Using the paddle shift on 2019 F150

rjgorsrjgors Member Posts: 41
Hello and Happy New Year!

I did a search and couldn’t find anything on using the paddles to shift while towing. I have a 2019 F150 3.5 V6 with towing ability of 13,000 (supposedly). We pull a 2019 320 S and have no issues, but find at freeway speed the trans should shift one more time. I have it in tow mode, but tried the paddles once and it helped kick the revs down. Any thoughts?
Bob
Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    On some trucks, tow / haul mode locks out the top gear(s). 

When towing only about 20% of your truck’s max rating, you do not need to use tow/haul mode. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    General comment:
    Expect a F-150 does not need to be in Haul/Tow Mode while towing as light a trailer as the T@B 320.  No harm it using it except for reduced MPG as the shift points will be at greater engine RPM and load conditions.  Without Haul/Tow Mode on you might fine the truck shifts more to your liking.

Paddle Shifts:
    My truck does not have them so I've found a method to force shifts up or down in a similar way as Paddles would. IMHO there is no reason not to use the Paddle Shift feature.
    On the Colorado I cause shifts by [1] changing the cruise control speed up/down 1-2 MPH, truck shifts to gear I want nearly every time.  Then I just reset to the original speed and truck does not shift. [2] Method -1- in combination with Haul/Tow Mode on/off switching helps when just changing the speed does not force a shift.  For example:  In hilly country the Haul/Tow Mode won't upshift after clearing a hilltop.  These two methods alone or together force the shift.
    I also use the Colorado's upper gear lock-out.  " L " mode. In general I tow with the second overdrive (8th) locked out to stop endless 7th to 8th to 7th shifts.  When approaching big hills and still on the hill approach will change the highest gear lock-out to 6th or 5th to force a downshift and engine speed up before starting up the hill. Can make the climb smoother.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,705
    My VW Touareg has an 8 speed automatic transmission with a manual shift option.  I use it all the time while towing, especially in hilly terrain, to keep the engine at a more comfortable RPM inside the power band.  I do not want my engine to lug, and it makes no sense for me to try to search with the gas pedal to get what I want when an easy downshift will get me there.    It is a useful skill on a driving uphill, and even more useful on a downhill to control my speed.  My engine works best between 1700-2500 RPM, and shifting this way helps me keep it in that band.  Your owner's manual will tell you what your "max torque" numbers are for your engine.  Just don't over or under rev.

The other setting that will help up hill if you don't want to manually shift would be "Sport" mode, if you have one.  It just "delays" the next shift up, giving that power band a little more time to work.  Probably a gas mileage hit, but it should be a bit effective.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    Towing mode locks out the high gear on my F150. If I'm on reasonably level highway I use tow mode until I get to speed and then turn it off until needed. It does help MPG. As stated the 320 is light enough I probably don't need tow mode but it does put less stress on the transmission and motor. 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020