Options

400 Owners: Do You Have a Panel Gap? —Resolved—

TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
I noticed something very odd after getting our 400 back today from dealer warranty service.  Under the bed, there is a 1 1/8” gap between the service panel “doors” for the Alde compartment and the center Air8 compartment.  The gap is such that I can see down into the Alde compartment with the panel closed.  I don’t recall this being this way when we bought the camper last summer.  I am curious if any other 400 owners have such a gap they can see down into the Alde compartment?

Here are two pictures:  a picture from today, showing the gap, and a picture I took last September of the Air8 compartment.  In the September picture, the service panel is open, but you can see the edge of the service panel for the Alde, and I don’t see a gap.  Very odd this; it just doesn’t look right, and I’m almost certain it wasn’t there before.

Last September:

Comments

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    If I recall correctly, the panel over the Alde is hinged onto a strip of plywood mounted permanently next to the TAB 400 wall.  I suspect your dealer re-installed that strip too close to the side wall.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    The panel on the far passenger side might be "free floating.'  All of the panels (except maybe the center panel) were free floating until the 2019 models I believe.  My 2019 came with hinges on the right hand side of the right panel, hinges on the rear of the center panel (with lift arms), and hinges on the rear of the left panel.  That last modification was especially poorly thought out since the panel cannot be raised because of the shelf under the television.  I removed the hinges from the left panel and discovered that there is a one inch gap between that panel and the passenger side wall.  If I slide the panel left to cover that gap there is a gap between the left panel and the center panel.  So, at least on my TAB the bed is not as wide as the distance between the sidewalls.  With the cushions in place I really don't even notice the gap.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    On my 2018 TaB400, the under the bed panels are all hinged, and their is no gap between the Alde area cover and the center panel.

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I solved the mystery:  the gap was from sloppy workmanship by my T@B dealer’s service department.  I removed the Alde service panel, held in place with two screws along the wall, and I noticed two sets of screw holes underneath.  That told me the technician just created new mounting places instead of aligning the cover with the adjoining frame and with proper gaps.  That also led me to discover the technician had done the same on the center service panel that covers the batteries and the Air8.  Taking off both panels and aligning them with proper gaps all around, I’m back to where things should be.

Back to where things should be:

• Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    Maximum laziness on the tech’s part.  That would make you wonder what other shortcuts were taken.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I wil would bring his to the dealer’s attention.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.