Options

Hope to fit a 2021 TAB 400 into garage with 8’ door??

CorvetteRLCorvetteRL Member Posts: 2
edited April 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
My garage door is 9 wide and 8 tall. So, obviously the trailer is teardrop and not that tall at back. So, has anyone done this? Back it in, lower the tongue? Lower air in tires? Anyway to get through 96” opening?

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Nope!
    Some have used bare rims, rather than tires. But that was on a regular Tab ("320"). 
    I think the 400 is a bit taller than the 320.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My 2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite is 9’4” tall with a 6” tall Aero Flo vent cover on top and the lift on the Boondock Lite is between 3” to 6” (I forget which one). 

So, subtract 4” for the Aero Flow vent cover (the factory vent cover is about 2”), then subtract 6” for the additional maximum lift, that is 8’6”, my estimate for a T@B 400 non-Boondock Lite.

I have a barn door that is 8’ tall, 10’ wide.  There is no way that my 400 will fit through this door.  I’m saving for a barn modification to make the door 10’ tall and 10’ wide. 

Unfortunately, if you don’t have the room to modify your door height, the 400 will not fit. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    CorvetteRLCorvetteRL Member Posts: 2
    We are not getting the Boondock.  The regular TAB400 is 8'8" - it's only 9" that I need to deal with.  Plus, the teardrop shape - I was wondering if we even put smaller tires/wheels, and dropped the tongue to the floor would it clear?  Not sure - just wondering if anyone has tried to get a T@B400 into a garage and their success/failure.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @CorvetteRL, my post was a “for instance”, and I’m glad I came within 2” of your actual height. 

I talked to a contractor this afternoon who may come down here and give me an estimate on increasing the door height on the barn. 🤞

I know I do not feel secure changing the tires each time I want take the 400 out. 

There are a couple of write-ups on this forum about how a T@B 320 owner put some metal plates on his 320 to roll it into his garage. Maybe one of the original posters will chime in or maybe someone who can remember what those metal plates were called so you could search for their solution and then apply it to your 400. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @CorvetteRL, my husband recommends a 4' underpass for the necessary clearance. Haha!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Since the TaB 400 is 9-feet high (non Boondock Model), even taking the wheels off, it is not going to fit under a 8-foot door.  You are only going to gain 4-6 inches taking the wheels off.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    IndiogoaIndiogoa Member Posts: 4
    I posed this question to Nucamp with a similar question. Taking air of out tires won't drop it low enough into the garage. You have to remove the ventilation fan cover which protrudes from the roof. You have to take the wheels off, and consider putting it on low profile dollies, but it might be a good idea to do all the measurements of stack up tolerances before investing in dollies to ensure you can still get the trailer in. I opted to just splurge on a cover and store it outside in my driveway.