Opportunity to Sell T@B's in Alaska?

We are one of the few owners of T@B's we have found here in Alaska after moving up here in one back in 2017. We also have had people express interest in buying ours if we ever wanted to sell it. The virus crisis has apparently put even more focus on camping around the state (travel through Canada is still restricted) with smaller travel trailers that don't cost a fortune this year. 

For example there is an R-Pod dealer here in Anchorage that can't keep them in stock, the demand is so high. The article from a local TV featuring this situation is below:

https://www.ktva.com/story/42186992/dealer-says-he-cant-keep-rpods-in-stock

Here in the Mat-Su Valley (the fastest growing region in Alaska), just north of Anchorage, there are several RV dealers, but no small trailers available other than used.

Might not there be a golden opportunity to start a T@B franchise or dealership here in Alaska? Just asking!

Fergie

Comments

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Fergie, I'd give nüCamp a call. This is an important issue, and probably needs an actual formal contact as opposed to a less personal type. It may not be profitable enough with such a great transport distance, but would be a singular niche location. If you could sell several t@bs, then there would be residual parts and service to handle. It is interesting. Good luck if you're considering this!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    To Dragonsdofly:

No, I'm too old to start a new business! Just thought it might be a great idea for someone else to do! My selfish motive is that then I would have a local dealer for replacement parts or service!

All joking aside, this is a burgeoning area and while the Covid-19 crisis has put a damper on many things, Alaskans still like to get out and camp in their huge state. Most people who had previously traveled with campers outside of  Alaska (called "going Outside" up here) did so with big expensive rigs that you could use as a traveling "cabin". Many others now just want to camp in the state on shorter trips that make smaller trailers like the T@B and R-pod attractive and affordable. 

Just thought I might spark some Intrapreneuring-minded person to think about it!  

Fergie

• MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Fergie said:
    To Dragonsdofly:

No, I'm too old to start a new business! Just thought it might be a great idea for someone else to do! My selfish motive is that then I would have a local dealer for replacement parts or service!

You do know that for replacement parts, you can contact ANY T@B dealer and have the parts drop shipped directly to you. Princess Craft in TX is a good one.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    To Mouseketab:

Yes, I know I can get parts shipped up here, but for anything large or heavy shipping costs are very high and there are lots of on-line ordering spots that won't ship to Alaska or Hawaii. As a result many stores and services up here will order for you and have stuff shipped to their store for pickup if what you want is in line with the type of products they service or sell as they get shipments of product from their suppliers all the time. So far I haven't needed parts except for Thetford toilet valves that are available at most RV service centers here. I was really just expressing a wild wish!

Thanks for the tip anyway!

Fergie