Options

Bathroom fan won't turn on, 2018 T@B 400.

The bathroom fan in our 2018 T@B 400 won't turn on. It worked a few times, then quit. Is there an obvious thing for me to check? Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    Check the little red switch.  Ours did the exact opposite, the switch failed in the on position and we couldn’t get it to turn off.  Finally had to pull the fuse so we could get home.

You should also verify that the fuse isn’t blown in the WFCO and check the voltage there.  
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    I've had a similar issue. For whatever reason in mine I found that holding the switch for a few seconds made the difference. Dunno why... :o
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @1968Healey @AirBoss, I just pressed the red button and held it for a bit. No fan. The odd thing is, though, I checked my Victron battery monitor while I was doing that and it indicated a pretty significant power draw that stopped when I pressed the button again. No fan, though. 
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    My fan switch failed and wouldn't shut off while in the middle of a cross country trip.  I went to a marine supply store and purchased a toggle switch and waterproof boot and replaced the switch.  It has worked great as it is much more robust than the flimsy plastic push button switch.  I did get a replacement push button under warranty but I have it in my spare parts supply as the toggle has worked better.

2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    @DenisP if the switch failed, would there still be a power draw? That seems counterintuitive to me, but I don't know a whole lot about these things. Maybe we should just install the Fantastic Fan that we removed when we put in the Maxxair. It's probably a lot better, but it is a power hog. 
  • Options
    ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    edited July 2020
    There should be no power draw if the fan is off.

Ours failed in the on position.  I had to pull the fuse just like DenisP.  I purchased these off Amazon, replaced it (it was very simple with the fuse pulled of course), and it has been working ever since.  I do keep extras in the tab just in case it happens again.

There were just 4 screws to unscrew to get access to replace the switch.  I cut the wires the come soldered on these switches right off so i could use the existing slide on connectors on the fan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W4YK1LD

We're going to upgrade to the Maxxair fan soon and are debating moving the Fantastic Fan to the bathroom, can't make up my mind...
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    @deb55 When the switch broke the fan remained running (drawing current). I took the fan partially apart to disconnect the switch so I could bring it to the store for a replacement.  The switch was easily replaced with a standard marine switch. 
    Your original Fantastic fan is a more robust fan (probably quieter too) but it would require swapping the fan from the roof. I had considered that change also but while the fan continues to work I am in no rush.
    Take Care.  
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Guess first question is are you 100% the draw on the bats were related to the fan, and only to the fan? Seems odd that you'd see a draw if the switch was indeed "open." Sounds a bit like the switch closes to compete the cuircut but the motor is frozen. Just a guess. Pull the switch out of the equation. Disconnect the switch and, being careful where you put your digits, connect the two wires momentarily. If the fan runs, it's the switch. If it doesn't, it's the motor. Also, check to make sure your don't have anything wedged in the blade path. Seems highly unlikely give how that thing is made but, stranger things have happened!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Deb55, use the 3-speed Fan you removed. It will work perfectly for years to come. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Heard of several folks on here doing just that and I'm a stones throw away from doing the same. Likely go with Maxx Air Deluxe unless folks on here change my mind for me!  ;)
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    ToulaToula Member Posts: 26
    That little red switch was on the punch list before I brought it home from the dealership. It worked part time. I did what @DenisP did. I picked up a marine switch from Academy, put new connectors on it. Finally said goodbye to that cheap little red switch. Repair took about 5 minutes.

Toula
    2019 T@B 400 -- 2017 Toyota Tundra
    South Louisiana
  • Options
    @AirBoss I'm certain that the draw on the battery is related to pressing the red button. I tried it several times, and watched the Victron monitor respond each time, immediately. I bet it's the motor, not the switch. We don't use it often, so I think we'll probably go ahead sometime and replace it with the Fantastic Fan. No hurry, and we'll get the dealer's service guy to do it--he did a great job installing the Maxxair. 
  • Options
    @Deb55
    Which Maxx Air did you go with? 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    @AirBoss the Maxxfan Deluxe model 7500K. It's really nice, with a remote and 10 speeds. Super quiet. I've been testing it with the Victron monitor, and it hardly uses any battery power until you get to the 8th speed. It's very nice when there's no electricity available for AC, and now that we have the solar panel, we won't worry so much about running down the battery like we did last year by using the Fantastic Fan overnight. We didn't kill the battery, but we ran it down to about 20%. 
  • Options
    Thanks much, @Deb55. Been leaining that direction. May be a good project for me. Though from what I understand, working "on" the roof is verboten...have to work off a ladder. Not the easiest way but doable.

Thanks again! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @Deb55 My 2019 Tab 400 bathroom fan failed when the motor assembly broke off its mountings and wedged the blade. It drew lots of current when swiched on but couldnt turn. I have a post showing how i fixed mine. So far it works great. Dont leave the fan on if it won't turn, you can burn up the wiring or motor.
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    You can check the blades by removing the circular grid. Pry it gently starting at one edge.