Options

Cargo Carrier vs Wind Resistance ?

nmdreamnmdream Member Posts: 27
I am sure if I thought of it , many have tried it. So, since I am new and ready to take the hit. Enjoy !
Has anyone had any noticeable decrease in wind resistance / increase MPG by adding a cargo carrier of any particular design to the TV roof. For long haulers even a couple of MPG's can be a blessing. Would love to hear from trial and error or success stories of any degree. 
TV is a 2020 Tucson Ultimate, low side of the scale I know, but for now it will have to suffice 2.4 L 181 HP handles the T@B 320 (empty) really well so far. Just brought it over the Appalachian's Ohio to SC. First time real adventure. Averaged 13.5 mpg between 60-70 and only pucker time was the huge piece of Semi Tire that took a little sidestep to avoid (trailer Dance and a small the "stay calm" voice. Else all went fairly well for the little engine that could.
I am REALLY new to travel trailers, but not without some degree of brain matter. Have fun and be gentle.. for now.
Robert (NMDREAM)
2020 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate 181 HP w/Hayden 678 Rapid Cool
2019 T@B 320 S 

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    Yes, any roof rack + cargo box will reduce your MPG somewhat. But when I'm on a long trip I really like to be able to lock up a bunch of stuff in the "attic." If you're really concerned about MPG the best thing that you can do is keep your speed below 60mph.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I used a Thule aerodynamic roof box on my Tacoma’s fiberglass shell’s roof rack when I left to spend the winter in Arizona. Gas mileage loss was negligible, and the waterproof storage was excellent. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    I used a Thule aerodynamic roof box on my Tacoma’s fiberglass shell’s roof rack when I left to spend the winter in Arizona. Gas mileage loss was negligible, and the waterproof storage was excellent. 
    A fair amount of the fuel efficiency loss is due to the racks themselves, even without a box. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Not the answers I was hoping for, I had hoped the carrier would help reduce the drag the face of the trailer was giving, tall rounded sail vs wedge shaped into wind.  Drag etc.. I get it.
    Good website info by the way Marceline, TY.
    Sacrifice's will have to be made by speed reduction and (maybe enjoy the ride a just a little longer, see the off the beaten track sites). I miss that. We will just try to re-plan this trip a little to compensate.
    Until I can retire :) 
    Thanks for the response all 
    2019 T@B 320 S 

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 473
    I put a galleon rack on our Tundra and have carried two kayaks in front of the trailer and noted no real decrease in gas mileage. I was surprised but I do not tow over 65 and usually 55-60 on non interstates. My mileage without the rack was about 12-13 mpg towing. With the rack and kayaks around 12 mpg. Just the truck no trailer is 15 mpg. Not good I know, but for me the cost of this new pastime.

Maybe the boats do deflect some of the wind hitting the front of the trailer? I must say the ride was fine.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    nmdream said:
    Not the answers I was hoping for, I had hoped the carrier would help reduce the drag the face of the trailer was giving, tall rounded sail vs wedge shaped into wind.  Drag etc.. I get it.

That's an interesting theory. Anyone have access to a wind tunnel? 😆
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Says the V6 ! LOL ;)

2019 T@B 320 S