Options

Brake controller

1bentbike1bentbike Member Posts: 10
My daughter has a 2017 BMW X5. What brake controller are people using?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    I use a vehicle non specific (works with any TV that has a 7-pin with 12VDC charging circuit on center pin.  It is an Curt Echo, uses your smart phone to setup and control brakes manually, if desired.  No need to modify vehicle wiring, it connects into the 7-pin and the trailer plugs into it.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited July 2020
    @1bentbike
    If the X5 is pre-wired for a brake controller, then you have a fairly wide variety of choices depending on budget and installation goals.
    I use the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite and love it.
    https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-elite-electric-brake-controller

Perhaps the most mentioned brake controller in this and other trailer forums is the Tekonsha Prodigy series of brake controllers.

The Redarc allows for a more customized install, with nothing hanging under the dash.
    The Tekonsha allows for a less customized install, with the option to unplug it and move it to another vehicle.

The Curt Echo that @Denny16 mentions is basically "installation free" and can easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle - but requires a cell phone app to manage it's settings or to engage the brakes manually.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller