Options

Pahaque awning mod

DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
edited July 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
I purchased a Pahaque awning soon after purchasIng my 400 two years ago. The few times I have used it, the shade/privacy have been great as long as the wasn’t more than a breeze. 
After seeing the newer and pricier awnings which are more wind resistant, I thought I would try adding two side supports and grommets to use for poles. 
I am currently camping at Scusset Beach Reservation along the Cape Cod Canal and there are 10-15mph wind with higher gusts. I am testing the modified awning and so far it is stable and providing needed shade. 
Update: awning up for a few hours without issue. Took it down during mid-day nap. When I awoke the wind had increased substantially 20+ gusts, so I ended my experiment. Conclusion is much improved stability in breeze up to 10-15 mph. Minimal expense with the help of my DW. Happy Camper

2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
Massachusetts

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Based on another post, I added grommets to allow for two tent poles on the outer edge. I tried the poles and it further stabilized the awning as it stopped the breathing action (up and down). The side poles and front poles reduce anxiety during wind as it greatly improves stability. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @DenisP - That looks good. is there a general parts list for this mod?
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @ryno The two added “roof poles” are identical to the pole included with the awning. I made up the poles from an old Kelty awning but perhaps you could get the poles from PaHaQue. I added two brass grommets in the webbing for the guy lines. Adjustable tent poles would be a great choice for the upright poles. I made up my poles from an old Kelty Parts but I found these on Amazon: 

Odoland Adjustable Tarp Poles, Telescoping Aluminum Tarp and Tent Poles, 

As an update I just spent five days at Scusset Beach Reservation Campground and the awning performed great.  It was pretty breezy (10-15mph wind with some gusts) The awning before the changes would not have handled the conditions well. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts