Options

How Do You Plan For a Road Trip?

I would like to plan a long solo road trip next year.  I just got my T@B this year so I'm a "newbie".  Is there any apps or hints on planning a road trip?  Do you make reservations, Harvest Host, or are you spontaneous? 
Kathy - Lansing, MI
2017 T@B 320 SC-S, 2016 Suburu Outback

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    There are many different views on this. We look at our primary destination, and the time we have. We reserve our primary destination, then map out and search for campgrounds for enroute. We make it a big circle and come back a different way. We limit to less than 350 miles a day. We try to sprinkle in some two day stops every few days. We personally, like to make all our reservations ahead of time. Some people don't. I start out with Google Maps, and look at the route, then I search on Google "Campgrounds near xxxx city". I also look at campgroundreviews.com, and I also use Roadside America for quirky day stops on the route. I have also used the mapping tool on KOA.com and at least get campgrounds where I know what to expect, but then search further for other campgrounds near the KOAs that are better rated. We don't use Harvest Host because we don't have a bath, and really rely on electric. We are also looking at filling up our sticker map, so try to stop in as many states as possible on our route.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I tend to fly by the seat of my pants, by not making reservations. I’ll drive and site see until about 2 pm or so, and then I’ll pull over. My go-to app is Allstays and I’l check for nearby campgrounds or free sites. I’m a new Harvest Host member ($79/yr), so sometimes I’ll have to call a day ahead for reservations. That will be setting the Harvest Host location as a destination, not a camp site. I’m actually looking forward to farms, museums, and wineries, of course. 

Since I don’t always stay at campgrounds, I use Allstays RV Dump for a dump and fresh water station information.  Pilot/Flying J  truck stops normally have dump stations and fresh water for a fee. A membership at Camping World stores gives you 5 cents off a gallon and $2.50 off the dump station at Flying J/Pilot truck stops. 

More apps that I use are Campendium and RV Parky. But, I reach for Allstays first. 

Another group I have been following but I haven’t joined yet is Boondocker’s Welcome.  I think it’s a $50 annual fee and you stay for free, but there may be amenities that you can pay for. 

The best advice I can give you is to grab a map and decide where you want to go and how you want to get there (the roads less traveled are my favorites). Then check your app to look for campgrounds or Harvest Hosts or Boondocker’s Welcome sites on the way. Always be ready for changes for weather and traffic delays. Take it in stride and always remember to call your Harvest Host or Boondocker’s Welcome host if you will be delayed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Just finished a trip and tested getting last minute, same day, state park reservations through a half dozen states.  Failed every time.  So my normal inclination to just wing it will have to be tempered due to the much higher number of folks RVing out there lately.  Reservations could be had a week out at most places... just not the same day.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Many of the same here as well. First step is limit mileage to 300-350 miles per day, except for day one or two when I'm travelling over ground I've travelled multiple times.

I start with Google Maps. You can build an itinerary fairly easily. In another window I pull up a variety of campground sites (KOA, Good Sam, Campendium, or just "RV Parks near XXXXXX" in Google Maps. After selecting your first stop you can either (i) "Add Destination" and you'll have to track the mileage and hours for each leg or (ii) flip the daily destination to the "your location" line and type in your new destination, which will show you that days mileage and hours. 

If you're old school (guilty!), I also use the good old Rand McNally Road Atlas, Large Scale. I love maps and spend alot of time turning pages in that thing. Wore one out in 9 state trip in 2018. Colored markers for each days route, tabs on pages that I need, etc. Somehow...it brings some comfort.  

If you're AAA, they (or you) can customize a "Trip Tik" for your entire route. It's failry intuative tool. 

I generally "plan" and unplanned stop here and there. Makes it a bit more seat of the pants. 

Apps that are helpful are Harvest Host (annual fee, stay free), Campendium, Overnight Parkikng Finder (aggregates Walmart, Pilot/Flying J, Reststops, RV Dumps, BLM, etc. locations), FreeRoam, among others.

If I'm on a mission (e.g like to get to point B by a certain date), I'll plan for extend stops (2-3 days at one place) on return leg. In midst of planning a 5000mi. trip now. Taking a bit more northerly route from San Diego to Chattanooga or perhaps NC., then a more southerly route on my return. Hope to depart second week of Oct. Taking 7-8 days eastbound, then a couple/three weeks to return. Fingers crossed. 

Enjoy the planning and plan to enjoy! 

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2020
    'First star to the left and straight on until morning'

We have an idea of a few major things we want to experience on a trip but generally wander/drift. We've always enjoyed not following a schedule when on vacation.

Last year we spent a bit more than a month on the road for one of our trips. We made reservations at a KOA in Minnesota for two nights to see the home opener football game. The other 30 some nights we found a place to stop for the night using a process similar to @Mouseketab. For us this included a few Wal-marts, but mostly State Parks, National Parks, a few KOAs and dispersed camping (KOAs are a definite on laundry nights).

We have traveled this way for over 30 years. We've never experienced what @DougH mentioned, but admittedly have chosen to not travel this year.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    edited March 2021
    @MichiganSunshine ;  I'm the type of traveler that likes plans, schedules, and knowing what to expect all while trying to remain sane enough to add days at a nice place or skip stops as the mood strikes.

While researching all the different web resources are used not a single Planning APP.  To capture all that research and to suggest more (an iterative process) I've found the Furkot.com Trip Planner very useful.  It's available for free and has additional features for $14/year membership (waived if you use them to book lodging).

What is really nice is Furkot lets you set driving parameters; max hours of day, max miles per day, your MPH as a set value or percentage of posted speed limit and if needed you can change those parameters on different legs of the route.  It even has a MPG feature that can flag when fuel stops are needed.

You input your start & end points and it's initial route will show the locations you should stop to camp and/or buy fuel.  It's lookup tables are very complete for services . . . they link campgrounds from campendium . . .

You have complete control to add stops and/or rearrange the travel route.  Makes planning a long days & mileage trip easy to do.

Here's a very basic example of some of the features.

Can even download GPS Files for your navigation box, as well as detailed spreadsheets of the route information.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    I'll second the use of Furkot.com for trip planning.  There is active development being done all of the time.

I've been using it for years to plan camping trips and motorcycle trips.  Just used it this week for my upcoming MC trip.  Your trips are saved so you can always go back to them.  You can clone a trip so that you can make alterations on the new version.  And you can export trips to most GPS units.

Check it out! 
    Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Most of our trips so far have been destination driven..ie. T@bazona...in our case we plotted our road trip from Canada with google maps and chose some scenic things ..from there pinterest is used to do some sightseeing...ie. touristy stuff ( like the Cadillacs in Amarillo)..then we usually like to stay at State Parks or Corps of Engineer campgrounds..we do have some apps that are also on the tablet...hoping to use IOverlander Abit more now that we have the T@b...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada