Options

Towing a 400 With a 1 Ton Truck?

CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
I know that I can't tow my 320 with my F350 pickup. Does the 400 have the same TV restriction?

Thanks in advance...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
 - Sold Jan 2022

Comments

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    CrabTab said:
    I know that I can't tow my 320 with my F350 pickup. Does the 400 have the same TV restriction?

Thanks in advance...
    Just out of newbie curiosity, why can't you tow the 320 with the F350? Obviously not the tow weight of the T@B.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,701
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks @pthomas745, I remember reading that discussion. Maybe I should rephrase the question.

Does the 400 have the same sticker as the 320, saying not to tow with greater than a 3/4 ton truck?

We're pulling our 320 with a Colorado. Just wondering if we could use our F350 should we upgrade to a 400 at some point.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Interesting and a bit counter-intuitive. I hope to change to an electric TV in 2021/22, specifically a Rivian R1T which has a towing capacity over 10,000 lbs. I suspect that towing a 320 with it won't be a problem - it has a "skateboard" platform chassis and adjustable air suspension - but it's something worth looking into. May need to switch to the R1S SUV which has a much lower tow capacity. . .
  • Options
    @CharlieRN, I haven't ever seen any pull through charging stations. It would seem you'd need to unhook and pull in to a regular parking spot to recharge an electrical vehicle. Not saying it can't be done, but something to consider if you want an electric to pull a trailer (We thought about doing this too).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    It’s not really counter intuitive. Heavy trucks(3/4T & up) can handle this weight because of the spring packs that are installed. When unloaded, the ride is very stiff(aka kidney punching). The ride softens when the springs are compressed. If there isn’t enough weight to compress the spring packs, the ride remains stiff; the 320(for sure) does not apply enough tongue weight onto the truck to compress the springs enough to soften the ride, and thus, the stiffness is transferred through to the trailer. The 320 utilizes C channel to construct the frame, and is, in the opinion of the Mfg., not strong enough to withstand the transferred forces, mainly just beyond the coupler. The tongue weight of a 400 might be enough to compress the springs on a 3/4 ton, but I doubt a 1 ton. Again, I would defer to the mfg warning stickers, or place a call/email to inquire.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    It has the same sticker 
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    CrabTab said:
    @CharlieRN, I haven't ever seen any pull through charging stations. It would seem you'd need to unhook and pull in to a regular parking spot to recharge an electrical vehicle. Not saying it can't be done, but something to consider if you want an electric to pull a trailer (We thought about doing this too).
    This is definitely a concern but I'm encouraged that both Rivian and Tesla are aware of the issue and taking steps to remedy the situation. Hopefully, by the time I get my EV (likely early 2022) things will have improved.
    It will be easier for Tesla since they control their own charging network, but Rivian says they're requiring newcomers to their charging network to have pull-thru access. Ironically, there is a problem with access to the few pull-thru stations that presently exist: ICE vehicles. Apparently, non-EV cars often either cut through the stations at speed and damage the charging cords or simply block access by parking there.
    The charging port on the Rivian is in an easier to get to location at the front of the vehicle, so even without modification to the charging station you may be able to plug in with the trailer in place. Not ideal, but it may have to do until pull-throughs become more common.
  • Options
    Thanks @BirdieJane! That is what I wanted to know.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @CrabTab and @CharlieRN...some of our provincial and national parks have started getting charging stations installed...from what I've read... obviously the most popular
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    hamrxhamrx Member Posts: 16
    interesting  glad I sold mine a few years back
    Former 5th wheel and now T@B 320s owner. Amateur Radio Operator. Pulled by 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4 x 4