Stink bugs!

JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
Just a tip for all out there. The windows and door screens are mere window dressing (pun intended) for stink bugs. We’re wrapping up a week long trip and our area got swarmed with them on a warmer day. 

We came back to a camper and We spent a good couple hours disposing of them. Luckily they’re extremely easy to catch, but disassembling the screen apparatus on our camper was not a planned camping activity! I’m sure we’ll still find a couple when we return home and empty the T@b to prepare for winter. 

Fair warning: at the first sign of stink bugs, shut all the doors and vents and limit when you have ‘em open!
2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500

Comments

• SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    I was wonder about that.  I have flushed a few of these home invaders to Davey Jones' Locker in recent days.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • kellywkellyw Member Posts: 56
    @JabGopher the same thing happened to us last week - we returned from a day of sightseeing to hundreds of them crawling all over camper inside and out due to leaving windows open (screens down) after being at camp site 2 days with not a bug in sight. They were in EVERY crack, crevice, drawer, you name it. We must have removed hundreds! I don’t know if it’s an old wives tale or not but I heard they don’t like dryer sheets so I’ll be Bouncing to my next trip with a giant stack of them and keeping them in camper forever! I’d be interested in figuring out what everyone else does to keep them out. The bug fluff/fuzz inside the screen/shades seem inadequate in that it might as well not be there at all. 
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock White/White; TV: 2020 Honda Ridgeline 
    2015 T@B Sofitel Silver/Silver;  TV: 2011 Honda Pilot
    Maryland's Eastern Shore - Ravens, Crabs, Bohs & O's!

Traveling with Violet Bean, most of the time...
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @kellyw & @JabGopher Where are you folks?
    I'll go the other way! Hate those things...

Oddly, here in WNY, the ladybugs haven't arrived en-masse yet, like they usually do.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Interestingly there was a press release after the polar vortex that these would be killed off.  Yeah right!  😂

Here is some background info on these non-native and invasive pests!
    https://www.orkin.com/other/stink-bugs/what-causes-stink-bugs
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2020
    Speaking of the devil!  This guy crawled inside this package I found in the barn this afternoon.  🤣

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    Ugh. We’ve just gotten a lot more judicious with when we keep our windows and door open. 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Just wait until a sunny warm day in January and the stink bugs come back to life😳. I guarantee you will jump because you’ll think there is a hornet in your T&B. It seems that I can never get the last two or three out of the T@B😂
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @ChanW we were at Greenbrier State Park in central Maryland. It’s been two weeks and we are still finding them in the Tab after twice going through every inch with a dustbuster lol. Ironically this week we are in Western NY at Sampson State Park and the only stink bugs we are finding are the ones that hitched a ride! Don’t worry, we’re drowning the little buggers in soapy water. I won’t be held responsible for introducing an invasive species lol. I’m also very lucky BF is an entomologist and doesn’t mind “bug patrol” duty 😂 

@kellyw Yup, ours invaded in Northern Delaware just at the border with MD. I'm sure as I wash my tab and let a layer of soap foam up and get into the creases, more will (hopefully) drown out of the outer creases.
    @JabGopher - I’m keeping a dustbuster in Tab from now on. We’ve renamed it the bugbuster 😂

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep, @kellyw they're awful!

Especially @Verna if one gets into your bedding, and you roll over and injure it - that's when they let out their stink!

Not a nice odor to have stuck up your nose all night! 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @ChanW the only saving grace for me that day was I had severe seasonal allergies so amidst a constant runny nose and sneezes, I couldn't smell a thing as I furiously pinched at these suckers.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChanW, they don’t smell any better in Jan, Feb or March, either👎  My least favorite time is right after I’ve opened the door and they flap around and I think it’s a hornet!  I’m terribly allergic to yellow jackets and wasps, and that sure gets the heart pumping!   
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I just love when they get into the ceiling fan and try to hide.  You don't see them until you turn the fan on and all the sudden you have bug puree in your fan.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    edited October 2020
    @JabGopher
    Thanks for the stink bug warning. I'm camping this week in Stone Mountain State Park in NC...and immediately after setting up at our camp site I saw a dozen or so stink bugs on the side of the 400. We got them off the screens they had already found and shut all the windows...what a pain.
    I opened my grill at the campsite this afternoon, and a bunch of the little darlings where hanging out under the lid!

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    @ChrisFix best of luck - you're bound to continue finding them!
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    JabGopher said:
    @ChrisFix best of luck - you're bound to continue finding them!
    Yes, unfortunately you are correct. Got home today, and already found a few. 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    Just a quick update.

The other weekend, about 2.5 months after this incident (and the trailer winterized, sitting in the driveway), I went to tackle a loose window string issue. 

I unscrewed the screen from the wall and lo and behold, more of these buggers were camping out. They were between the frame and the rubber gasket. All told, another 25 or so between the 2 side windows!

Just an FYI to check them especially with how easy it is to pull the screen off the window.