Options

Generator Capabilities

Hello all. I’m planning to boondock in a few weeks with my tab 400. I’m looking at purchasing a Honda eu2200i. Does anyone have experience using this generator to run the AC, the cool cat furnace, or the microwave. I understand that the microwave and AC going at the same time could be problematic, but could it handle lights and any of those three things by themselves? I have young kids so really roughing it is out of the question for now. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    While waiting for users to reply, you might search on eu2200i in the upper right search field-lots of posts!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    edited August 2019
    @Archie - Assuming your microwave and Cool Cat are the same models as we have in our 2019 400, here's some info.

According to Honda's website, the EU2200i is rated for 1800W at 15A (steady) and 2200W at 18.3A maximum. 

According to the High Point instruction manual for the microwave, its output is 1,350W. At 120V, that's 11.25A, so the generator can power it no problem. 

Per Dometic's installation instruction sheet, the Cool Cat, regardless of whether you are using it to heat or cool, pulls pulls a maximum of 8.9A from the compressor and and a maximum of 2.2A from the fan, for a combined draw of 11.2A. Their recommendation is to protect it with a 20A breaker.

Those are almost identical stats to the microwave so one would think the Honda would be ok powering it, but Dometic makes a recommendation for a minimum generator size of 2.8kW. They go on to add the following paragraph with an asterisk:

• "Dometic Corporation gives GENERAL guidelines for generator requirements. These guidelines come from experiences people have had in actual applications. When sizing the generator, the total power usage of your RV must be considered. Keep in mind generators lose power at high altitudes and from lack of maintenance." 

My take is that the Honda could run the microwave without issue, especially since you'll likley only be using it for a few minutes here and there. Technically it could run the Cool Cat too, but it would tax the generator a good bit, especially since you'd be running it for much longer periods of time, and in the meantime, you'd be very, very limited as to what else you could power. 

If you want to stick with a Honda, you'd be better served by the EU3000is. That approach introduces some challenges of its own of course, including a (roughly) 50% higher purchase price, increased weight, increased fuel consumption, etc. 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    ArchieArchie Member Posts: 6
    Thank you so much for the detailed info! I’m going to buy it. Your comments coupled with a few others that have said the microwave strains the generator more than the AC gives me confidence that it will work for my needs.
  • Options
    @Archie - You are most welcome! But to be clear, I said the opposite: The microwave should be fine, but the Cool Cat would be too much for it, especially since Dometic themselves recommends a minimum generator size of 2.8kW.

Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I borrowed a friend's older 2000i to test run on my 2019 400 before buying my own generator, at around 3000 foot elevation, the older 2000i started and ran both the MW and the CoolCat individually no issue, BUT the MW did seem to by sound be working the 2000i harder than the Cool Cat. Since then I have purchased a 2200i companion model, BUT have yet to try it. Worst case, I will add a MicroAir soft start (I know it voids the CoolCat warranty) and run that way. It is only potentially the start amps that could be an issue with the 2000 class of Honda, running amps are well under the 15a steady load rating (i have measured my amps with the CoolCat running). When I test ran, both devices were able to start in eco mode and I got no overload lights on the generator. Sure a 3000w class would be better, but mostly due to size and weight concerns I am going to see if my new 2200i works out first, I would almost parallel two of the small ones before going to the 3000w class due to weight and size.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    @N7SHG_Ham - I've measured current draw on the Cool Cat but not the microwave. The CC pulls about 8A steady and just over 11A at startup. In my case I wasn't testing for a generator, but rather to make sure the 20A dedicated circuit in my garage could handle it.

I'm with you on paralleling 2 smaller units, since you're not saddled with one big heavy generator when you may only need it a handful of times throughout the year. Plus two gen sets = redundancy. But at another 50% more $$$ than the 3000 of course :-) 

Not to hijack @Archie's thread, but is that your amateur radio call sign in your username? W8KUZ here :-) 
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261

Not to hijack @Archie's thread, but is that your amateur radio call sign in your username? W8KUZ here :-) 
    Yes it is.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44

I just order one of these for my T@B 400 from Home Depot, almost a full 20amp output. And less then the cost of a Honda!

2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    I was just perusing the Wirecutter product reviews and they have a set of reviews of the more popular generators:  Honda/Ryobi/Generac.  From a person with an RV who uses lots of heavy duty power tools, etc. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    Sounds like they loved only the Honda. I've been happy with my new Ryobi and contrary to their review, never have to pull it more than twice to start. And they don't like that the Ryobi has wheels because it's hard to roll thru grass?
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    GreatWhiteNorthGreatWhiteNorth Member Posts: 57
    I recently bought one of the new Hyundai 2000W generators.  1/2 the price of the similar Honda or Yamaha, seems to be very good quality, easy start, reasonably quiet.  The fridge in our 2004 DM T@B draws lots of current, draws the battery down quite a bit - nice to have the generator for boondocking.
    2004 Dutchmen T@B T2 (fiberglass!)
  • Options
    TwonuCampersTwonuCampers Member Posts: 7
    @simonseyz, How's the Generac 3000i for your T@B 400 from Home Depot? Have you used? Any feedback on its performance.  I have also considered this generator for my 2019 T@B 400.  Thanks
    2019 T@B 400
    Walker Tent
    2023 Chevy Silverado LTZ TV
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I use a predator 3500 watt with electric start, works great for everything at the same time! Less $$$ than Honda, and rated 1 or 2 points less by CR, and I believe it is due to the run time. A year or so ago, it was 1 or 2 points higher than Honda, maybe there was an exchange of favors to correct this?

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    You cant beat the reliability of the Honda products.
    I have a have owned a Honda 928 snow blower for at least 10 years, runs flawlessly generally starts in less than 3 pulls.  I have also had multiple outboards and my buddy has a 7.5 horse outboard that must be 30 years old, still runs.

I have been wanting to buy a 2200i companion for a while myself.  I think the pair is the way to go for emergency use at home as well as camping where a single would be sufficient for recharging the batteries, and running the cool cat, maybe?

I hope more folks chime in with their real world use with their tabs.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @runaway30, on the left side of this page are numerous categories, such as “Battery/Electrical & Solar” and “Products and Accessories”.  

Feel free to click on one of those categories and start reading. It’s amazing how much knowledge is already on the forum. There’s also a search function in the upper right that can be very useful. If you search for “Google search” some people prefer to use that instead of the forum search function. 

This is a holiday weekend and there just aren’t many people around. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    Verna Thank You, there is a goldmine of information here for sure!
    I am starting to feel I know my Tab pretty well and I haven't even received it yet.
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I have the original Honda eu2200i (2018 model) and I’m very pleased with it. The 2020 model has two new things, namely a CO detector and an app that pairs with it. For mine,  I recently added a MicroAir Easy Start to the CoolCat even though the 2200i doesn’t need it to start in most conditions. I did experience a 105-degree summer camping trip and I could hear the Honda struggling with the compressor cycling, so that’s why I added the Easy Start. I considered the Honda Companion but the Easy Start solved the problem. If I’m going to use the microwave, I still turn off the a/c. Otherwise, the Honda runs everything. It might even run both at the same time next summer. I also have a Honda snow blower (tracked 828) that turns 25 this year, a newer Honda lawnmower and a middle-age Honda mini rototiller. I trust the brand.

If you buy anything at Home Depot, there’s a 10% military discount on everything, including the generator. I happened to be driving through a tax-free state and picked it up there, saving even more. 

Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD