Options

Playing movies through Jenson stereo (w/o wifi)

Good morning all.........we don’t normally watch a lot of TV while camping but once in a while if a storm blows in it is nice to throw on a movie, and kick back with a glass of wine. However most of our camp sites rarely have cell service, and even rarer to have wifi, so I found this https://www.amazon.ca/Compatible-Adapter-Digital-Adaptor-Connector/dp/B08HDHGWT4 so we could pre-download a few Netflix movies before leaving the house and watch without any cell or wifi service

The unit does require power, yes we do have the factory installed inverter but the inverter probably uses as much power to run it as this adaptor draws, so I installed a 12v USB plug https://www.amazon.ca/CHAFON-Charger-Colorful-Voltmeter-Waterproof/dp/B08C7T27LG  close to the Jenson radio, and we now have HDMI movies c/w stereo sound.....so far works great but have only tried it in a couple times in the driveway as we have close to a foot of snow on the ground, looks like our camping season is over until next spring😂 following are a couple pictures of the installation 

Turn off the battery disconnect and remove the Jenson stereo.......NuCamp does a great job of marking wires

Drill a 1 1/8” hole and install the USB plug in........NOTE make sure you can reach the back side of the USB plug from the Jenson cut-out before drilling the hole, I almost drilled to far away, was just able to get the backing nut on😳😳

Install the USB port, and splice in the power and ground wires 

Turn on battery disconcert and make sure everything works

Tidy up the wires and enjoy

Installed a couple command hooks for when not in use

Simple installation, maybe took 2 hours all total
 2021 T@B 400 BD, 2019 F-150, or 2011 F-150 (depending on conditions)

Definition of Success….”moving from failure to failure without any loss of enthusiasm” (Winston Churchill)

Comments

• Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    I have an iPhone lightening to HDMI adapter.  With this I can mirror what is showing on the iPhone to the TAB television via the HDMI port (2021 Tab).  Haven't used this yet, still waiting on the Tab, but is it pretty straightforward.  I plan to just download movies to the iPhone for viewing when on the road.

• Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    LOL,  I buy cheap DVDs at the supermarket and keep a stash in the camper. We have a 2018 T@B 400, and it still has a DVD player--I don't know if the latest campers have them. 
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @Gbertrand
    Couldn't you use the USB in the Jensen, instead of adding a separate one?
    I use it to power my FireTV stick...
    Just wondering.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited October 2020
    I purchased this so that I could have multiple inputs through the HDMI plug. I haven’t tried it yet, but the specs seem to show it is what I will need. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    GbertrandGbertrand Member Posts: 39
    @Deb55.....yah one on the things I was bummed about in the 2021 400 up-grades was the new Jenson cube with-out DVD/CD slot so this was my work around, plus a portable DVD player I just hang on the wall and plug into the HDMI, works great

@ChrisFix......never thought of trying the USB on the Jenson, none the less the newly installed USB port has a on/off switch so no parasitic draw when not in use and always can use more charge ports 😁😁

@Verna ......that looks like a great unit, let us know how it works  
     2021 T@B 400 BD, 2019 F-150, or 2011 F-150 (depending on conditions)

Definition of Success….”moving from failure to failure without any loss of enthusiasm” (Winston Churchill)
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    We just plug a little sony dvd player into the HDMI on the Jenson and watch movies on the tv.  To power it we run an extension cord from the bedroom cubby over to the counter if we are off grid.  It works great.
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    We have a USB-C (Thunderbolt) to HDMI adapter (similar to this one..  
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M61X8N3 )
    .. whic connects our Galaxy Note8 phones via HDMI cable to the T@B television.  This mirrors whatever is playing on our phone screen, and works great for playing saved video, photos, etc.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 262
    Is there a special setting on the Jensen so you can play a video on the TV? We have tried a laptop, our iphones with an HDMI adaptor and also tried plugging in directly to the HDMI port on the TV...all to no avail. I set the Jensen to HDMI input and also tried other setting but nothing. I also removed the Jensen to verify the HDMI cable is plugged in (it was). 
    We will be at Nucamp in Jan so will have them try it but hoping it is something I can get figured out before then. 
    thanks!
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    @xdr
    There is no special setting...HDMI input is the correct one to use the Jensen's HDMI port to play on the TV.
    Do you have a Roku or FireTV stick...something without a cable? That will rule out if the cable you are using between your iPhone or laptop is the issue or not.
    It works perfectly for me with the same model of 400. I use both my laptop with an HDMI cable, and a FireTV stick that plugs directly into the Jensen's HDMI port.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    I basically did what Verna did to plug the iPhone or iPad into the television.
    Then set the TV input to HDMI, then mirror the device to the TV. It seems to help to plug this in before turning on the TV. Be sure to set the TV to HDMI before connecting a device to it, otherwise you may need to turn off the power and then turn it back on. Be patient, the TV seems to be the slowest link in the process.

I also recommend downloading the Jensen app to your devices too and bluetooth pairing it to your devices (one or the other, not both!) and enable bluetooth for the device playing the content.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    @JP2558
    The 2021 models (which @xdr was asking about) have an HDMI port built into the front of the Jensen...which is pre-wired and connects to the TV. So no need to connect to the TV directly.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The reason I purchased the adapter is because I do love to watch college basketball, so I have a DISH satellite with an HDMI connection. Plus, it appears that I need a DVD player to play my over 200 DVD’s, with another HDMI connection. And if I choose to stream from my iPhone or iPad, yet another HDMI connection. With so many things with HDMI connections, it’s just easier to have an extended port to keep them plugged up to pick which one I want to use. I foresee each cord labeled as to which device it uses. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DonaDona Member Posts: 35
    @jp2558 Could you please describe or post a pic of the Jensen app you're referring to, as I went to the app Play Store and there are several. Thanks a lot!
    Dona & Ben / 2019 T@B 400, no solar, 2008 Tundra / Boise
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    edited December 2020
    @Dona Jensen j control

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    The description of that device says it is not compatible with “paid videos in the app”, and lists Netflix and Amazon Prime.  Anyone know what this means?  Also, it appears the connectors to your iPhone/iPad do not charge the device, which is unfortunate as you cannot watch a movie and charge the device at the same time.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    TNOutback said:
    The description of that device says it is not compatible with “paid videos in the app”, and lists Netflix and Amazon Prime.  Anyone know what this means?  Also, it appears the connectors to your iPhone/iPad do not charge the device, which is unfortunate as you cannot watch a movie and charge the device at the same time.
    If you're talking about the adapter mentioned in the first post in this thread (Compatible with iPhone iPad to HDMI Adapter Cable, 1080P Digital AV HDMI Adaptor Connector Cord for iPhone Xs Max XR X 8 7 6 Plus iPad Pro Air Mini iPod - Plug and Play: Amazon.ca: Electronics) I'm really surprised that @Gbertrand has been able to use it to watch Netflix. I think that people will have better luck with the "official" Apple adapter for their device, as it's my understanding that those adapters have some kind of DRM chip. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    TNOutback said:
    The Apple HDMI adapter allows charging while watching movies.

I've only been able to watch downloaded movies from Netflix or Amazon Prime.  When trying to stream I've gotten error messages saying transmitting to another device is not allowed, or something like that.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    DonaDona Member Posts: 35
    I have 2019 Tab400 and Ipad.  I went to Best Buy and bought the official Apple lightning to Digital AV cable ($55), and an 8' HDMI cable to connect the Apple cable to the back of the TV ($30).  I was aghast.  So I went to Amazon and bought the same 2 cables for $30 total. 

The Amazon cable didn't work (even though it's touted as "Apple"). I show the link below for the bogus cable. The TV monitor said "no signal".  I switched to the official Apple cable and the TV responded instantly with an image of my iPad.  I did this switch between the 2 cables 5 times and got the same result.  I returned the Amazon cables.  

@Marceline thanks for explaining about the DRM chip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0881N2VCV?ref_=pe_1811570_136791410_E_Asin_Title
    Dona & Ben / 2019 T@B 400, no solar, 2008 Tundra / Boise
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Horigan said:
    The Apple HDMI adapter allows charging while watching movies.

I've only been able to watch downloaded movies from Netflix or Amazon Prime.  When trying to stream I've gotten error messages saying transmitting to another device is not allowed, or something like that.
    Out of curiosity I tried streaming Netflix (not downloaded content) from my iPhone to the Jensen TV last night and it worked. If you’ve been unable to stream to the TV via the official Apple HDMI adapter I suspect that the issue might be on the mobile carrier side. 
    I have:
    iPhone 11
    Verizon unlimited 
    Official Apple HDMI adapter (with power supplied from T@B 12v outlet. 

Good luck!
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    Thanks for the feedback!  I can't remember if it was Amazon or Netflix.  Will try it again later.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    With an HDMI and USB (to power it) can’t one just plug in a Roku and then stream from an iPhone hotspot (data aside) and / or mirror the iPhone?   It sounds simple so obviously I am missing something. 
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I tested my set up yesterday, 2016 T@B with the big Jensen.  Used an official Apple HDMI adapter and generic hdmi cable to the back of the tv.  Hooked up a power adapter to the adapter, then to my iPad.  Was able to watch a movie that I had saved on the iPad from my movies anywhere account. Was able to mirror the screen from different apps.  I couldn’t get a movie to stream from movies anywhere, but my wi fi was sketchy out in the driveway. The sound came out of the tv speakers.  I didn’t have the Jensen receiver turned on.  I’ll try it with my phone tonight and see if I can stream from the apps and see if I can get audio back to the receiver
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    tested the setup for on line streaming with my iPhone.  Was able to stream with no problem.  Only way I could get sound thru the receiver was to link Bluetooth.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    Of course after sleeping on this topic I I just had to try it.   I set up the Roku through the HDMI and used the USB for power (Roku requires either a USB or plug into an outlet).   I then connected the Roku to my iPhone hotspot and voila ... worked like a charm.  Netflix, Starz, Hulu... no problem.  
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    If I recall correctly...on mine, one I have the idevice connected to the tv, selecting aux on the Jensen will bring audio through.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    4ncar said:
    If I recall correctly...on mine, one I have the idevice connected to the tv, selecting aux on the Jensen will bring audio through.
    Mine didn't work using the Aux, but did work using Bluetooth.

Wonder if its something Apple is blocking because of digital rights?
    Tampa FL