2021Tab 320S BD "bumper"

PongPong Member Posts: 39
edited December 2020 in Trailer & Towing
Hi all.  Wasn't quite sure which category to post in, but here we go. I have a new Tab 320 BD with the rear "bumper", or "cage", or whatever it's called.  I was thinking it would be a handy step to accessing the roof rack.  However, when I checked on how it is attached to the bottom of the camper, I did not find anything that appears very robust.  There are only 2 relatively small bolts evident at the front of the attachment plate (the part towards the front of the camper, back in the photo).  The photo shows one of the two bolts. The rear part of that plate (front of the photo) is not even touching the camper, but sits about 1/8th inch away from the camper body.  It did not inspire confidence.  I weigh 120#.  Opinions?  Are any of you standing on the "bumper" to access the rack?  I guess I'll email nücamp tomorrow, but thought I'd ask here as well.  Thanks.

2021 Tab 320 BD; Honda Passport

Comments

• TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2020
    We just took delivery on our own 320S BD.  I'd agree with you that the rear cage appears more decorative than functional.  It might offer some protection from an incidental bump but I won't count on it. If given a serious bump, the damage to the mounting points may be additional to whatever happens to the rear of the trailer.  I won't be putting my full weight on it.
  • cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 53
    I am curious as to what Nucamp's thought was when this cage was added. I will definitely not use mine as a step. My bottom bracket is tight to the camper with no gap. That looks like sloppy work and should be fixed. The only fix for this is removing the cage and have the correct angle bracket welded back on. If your dealer can't get you in soon put clear silicone in that gap so water doesn't have a chance to get in through the bottom bolts.
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Welds look a little iffy as well...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • PongPong Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for your responses, particularly that the bottom bracket does not look properly attached.  Things got busy and I didn't have a chance to get in touch with nücamp, but I will.  No worries at this point for water getting in there as the Tab is put away for the winter in our nice and dry (if cold) barn.
    I finally heard back from nücamp.  As expected, the brush guard is not meant to be a step and I was advised not to use it as such (not that I would with such flimsy looking attachment point).  The second question I asked - was the attachment of the guard (with the gap as shown in the photos) done correctIly - was not answered.  I sent out another email to follow up with that. By the way, I didn't mean to post this in Trailer and Towing -  I must have accidentally posted here and don't know if it's worth moving (or how). 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Pong, I moved it to “Trailer and Towing” as it is the most appropriate category. It’s attached to the exterior of the T@B, and it belongs here more than anywhere else. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I received another email from nücamp with a answer to my question about the gap and the attachment plate.  They responded as follows:

"I talked to the foreman and he says the contour was maybe off slightly – this isn’t totally abnormal and will not affect the functionality. It is fine to leave as it is.  If you wanted to remove that gap you would have to take out the 4 screws and bend the foot mount to the desired angle – but he wouldn’t recommend doing this on your own." 

Now I've sent a return email asking for clarification.  The response seems to imply that the "foot mount" is attached with 4 screws.  Mine only has 2.

Verna, thanks for placing my question in the appropriate category for me.

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Pong: when they say 4 screws, they are implying that you remove the entire unit to perform the bending task. I would agree with them as that, when you remove the one side in question, the torque applied to the other side could cause the other screws to tear out.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    Thanks for chiming in.  I certainly won't be removing the bumper to start bending metal pieces.  I will just be treating it more as a show piece than as anything particularly useful.
  • NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    I just looked at mine built a weeks ago, dealer said there is no structure to screw into other than what is screwed into there, I stepped on it 175lbs all was fine
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 32
    NovaTab said:
    I just looked at mine built a weeks ago, dealer said there is no structure to screw into other than what is screwed into there, I stepped on it 175lbs all was fine
    I am surprised it didn't collapse with that weight....
    2021 TAB 320S  Boondock
    What? I said 175 not 275 :o

Just found a schematic the frame where the bumper attaches under there is only one 3/4" X 1.5" aluminum frame to attach to which is why there's only one attachment point with two screws.

What you can do if it bothers you is caulk it with marine 5200 to curtail a vibration movement

Thanks all.