Options

Installed a wireless backup camera on my 2018 clamshell. DoHonest 5" digital camera, from Amazon.

MauiBenMauiBen Member Posts: 16
edited February 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
I just installed this backup camera, and it was really easy and clean. I have no connection to the company. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDKFH9V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tapped into the 12V power for the license plate light. So the backup camera comes on when the headlights are turned on. Here's what the back of the license plate frame looks like.

The camera mount fits nicely behind the license plate, and the camera pokes out the gap just above it. I routed the power wires through an existing, but unused hole in the frame. I had to enlarge it slightly with a screw driver. The electrical tape is just to temporarily hold things in place before I put the license plate back on. I also put electrical tape on the black connectors, to keep out water. The thin black wire is the antenna.

The camera conveniently came with splice connectors. The green wire is positive, white is negative. I staggered the splice connectors so they would fit in the space at the edge of the frame. After taking this photo, I wrapped the splice connectors in electrical tape to keep out water.

The 5" screen is mounted on my windshield with a very high quality suction cup that was included. The screen attaches to the suction cup via a magnet. So you could theoretically use the suction cup for something else, like a phone mount, if you wanted to. The screen also came with a different mount that it slots into for mounting on top of the dash. Power for the screen comes from the cigarette lighter plug. The picture is pretty decent quality, thanks to the digital wireless signal. At rest, the video reception and frame rates were flawless. I haven't had a chance to test it on the road yet, but will report back when I can.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it. Seems like a bargain for $90 (with the $20 "coupon" checkbox).

Comments

• Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    Nice description of your work.  Do you still have a night light on your license plate?
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    Yep, the license plate light still works. You can see it in the first photo, if you look closely. 
  • Options
    NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    is that small probe looking thing the transmitter?
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• Options
    It's the antenna, yes. 
  • Options
    I got one trip in with the camera. It does work on the highway, although the frame rates are variable. Sometimes it's relatively smooth, and sometimes it's a slideshow. The frame rate varies with the signal strength, which is displayed in a cell phone style bar graphic. The video is smooth with 3-4 bars and choppy with 1-2 bars. I couldn't see any pattern with respect to why the signal strength varies. At first I thought it was due to RF noise in urban areas, but I got poor signal strength on some country roads, and good signal in the middle of San Francisco, so I don't know. Anyway, it works great for backing up, which was the main purpose. The fact that it works on the freeway is just a bonus to me.
  • Options
    LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    Just installed our backup camera on the cs-s, 2018 model year.  Yakry is the brand, and when you buy it on amazon, with the 1080p screen, they offer you an extra camera, whether a license plate or an RV camera at no charge, at least when I bought it recently.  We took the RV camera, and this is bluetooth, and I used self-tapping screws to the diamond plate bottom center rear of camper.  Ran an sae cable under the unit, zip-tying the cable under the track that is screwed up to protect the underside of the camper until tapping into the camera cable in the rear.  We used the sae connection run into the tub, and I simply connected to the saw connection I have to the battery on one end, and the other end is where my normal battery tender would be.  So, keep the connection the battery, and use the sae connection to simply plug to the wire we ran back to the camera.  When not in use, simply disconnect the sae connection at the battery area, and use the tender, or nothing.  Nice and easy.  Well, when your friend is a mechanic with more skills than me.
  • Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    I have been watching this thread to get some ideas.  We have the 2021 Tab 320 Boondock .. meaning it has the rear “cage”.   I am hoping for a wireless / rechargeable camera as I really don’t want to run wires.  Not seeing many options.  Most have a range no more than 30’... .. from the back of the trailer to the front dash it “should” be enough but makes me nervous.  
  • Options
    LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    I am not aware of a solar Bluetooth option and would wonder whether in low or no light it could function.  
  • Options
    Bclarke said:
    I have been watching this thread to get some ideas.  We have the 2021 Tab 320 Boondock .. meaning it has the rear “cage”.   I am hoping for a wireless / rechargeable camera as I really don’t want to run wires.  Not seeing many options.  Most have a range no more than 30’... .. from the back of the trailer to the front dash it “should” be enough but makes me nervous.  

When I got my camera, I temporarily hooked it up to a 12V battery and placed it behind the trailer, and mounted the display in the car to test the reception and range. If it hadn't worked, I could have returned it since I hadn't modified the camera at all. Amazon is very good with returns.
  • Options
    GreenhilGreenhil Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2022
    MauiBen said:
    I just installed this backup camera, and it was really easy and clean. I have no connection to the company. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDKFH9V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are really helpful photos! Any trick to removing the license plate holder? I had a go at mine but it’s stuck on pretty well and I was afraid of doing some damage. I did take the four small screws out before I tried.
  • Options
    There's a little sealant around the outside that's probably holding it on. Don't remember if I pried it or cut it off. 
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I would suggest NOT using the splice connectors in this environment. They will corrode and create future problems. This will also let the moisture in the OEM harness causing further problems in the future. 

You can either get some sealing tape (used to use some vinyl backed butyl in the past that was impossible to remove) or use a different connection and shrink tubing to seal. Regardless, it can't be left long term like the OP's pictures show in most climates. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC