Extra Shelf for 320 — not recommended by owner

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
edited February 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
19" long by 9" deep.  Secured with "3M Dual Lock" fastener tape. No holes drilled into the trailer.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

Wanted some extra storage on the passenger side.  Top shelf is 13" deep by 41" wide.  Bottom shelf is a little narrower because of factory valance.  1/2" birch. 13 lbs. of material. Five screws into the left and right valance supports, three into the bottom of the valance .  Nothing touches the side wall or the ceiling.  Going camping today - will report back on how this worked out (fingers crossed).
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Nice work!  Better be careful or nuCamp might be calling you!  👍🏻😀
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Thanks Mike!  Will experiment with an arched curtain rod to hide the contents on the main shelf.  If that doesn't work out, then will put a nice curve on the left vertical support board in keeping to keep with the teardrop motif.
    Don't do this mod.  After further investigation, it appears the entire wood valance (and section with the light switches) is not secured to any metal supports.  It is simply screwed into the Adzel foam.  Removed mine immediately.  Thankfully no damage was done to the valance or side wall.
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Tabaz said:
    Don't do this mod.  After further investigation, it appears the entire wood valance (and section with the light switches) is not secured to any metal supports.  It is simply screwed into the Adzel foam.  Removed mine immediately.  Thankfully no damage was done to the valance or side wall.
    😳
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    You may want to do THIS shelf mod. Only weighs 3 lbs. and is removable during transit to minimize stress on the side wall.

Simply loosen the three screws and remove the entire shelf.  Very pleased with the results.
    Found these grey baskets at Walmart for about $6 each.  They happen to match the grey cushions AND fit perfectly on the new shelf.  The shelf gets removed during transit.  It has three braces underneath for added support while at the campsite.  VERY easy to install by just tightening three screws a few turns.  Very happy with this new find.  Looks good, inexpensive and fits the space.  Gonna go buy a lottery ticket now.

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The shadows are pretty groovy too!😎
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    4ncar - thanks for noticing.  I was going for that Alfred Hitchcock "Psycho" lighting affect.  Nothing more menacing than plastic baskets from Walmart.
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    @Tabaz, I take it you didn't have an issue with headroom or bumping into it while moving around in the camper?  I'm fleshing out a project to revamp that same area in my 2015, dump the fabric and rebuild the valance in cherry (long-term goal is to change all the woodwork from the light color wood to cherry).
    I think your latest shelf also presents a cleaner look that your first one.   Nice job!
    Did that lottery ticket work out for you?  :)
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
    I can't answer your question about headroom because I have a cabinet under that shelf:

However, I have plenty of headroom while sitting on the couch (I'm 5' 9").  Even without the cabinet, I don't think bumping into it would be a problem.
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    Ah, so is your camper set up for "solo mode"?   I like the cabinet by the way, nice!
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4