2021 T@B 320S - storage issues?

DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
We have a 2018 T@B 320S and have been comparing it to the new 2021 model.

It LOOKS like they have really cut back on storage in the trailer. Cabinets above the sink are smaller. The microwave compared to the old A/C is no change, but moving the A/C under the passenger side bed seems to remove blanket and pillow storage.

What do you think? Greatly reduced storage in the new trailer? How do you handle it?

Thanks.
...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.

Comments

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @DougWW...the microwave is a special order..so that is easier upper storage that a 2018 didn't have..the under your sink cabinets are slightly narrower, because of a slightly wider shoilet, but you don't have major plumbing in the way. I can't comment for under the bed storage, since I have a clamshell..for me the smaller bed vs outdoor kitchen and easily accessible storage was our deal breaker.

Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    The cabinets in the back hold a lot more than the rear overhead cabinets on the pre-2021 models. The drawer under the fridge creates more usable space. Also, the use of the Hepvo valve under the kitchen cabinet, and the extra cubbies above the door and on the driver side wall up high create more usable space.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• OneotaOneota Member Posts: 17
    Our 2021 TAB 320s will be ready to pick up soon.  We were aware of storage issues, and since we often will be boondocking (not hooked up to shore power), we opted for an upper cabinet rather than the microwave.  This, I expect, will be delightfully accessible storage. 

Also, the under-kitchen-sink cabinets are, as noted above, considerably freer of plumbing for more usable storage.  I've measured under the seat where the A/C unit is, and there actually is some space there that could be carefully used.  The pull out bed slats free the space under the door side wheel well bench.  More small nooks, door storage than in our 2019 TAB 320s BL.

My concern is actually the clearance between the back seat backs and the overhead cabinets.  Will I be able to stuff our bedroll through the narrower space?  Looks like I may need to slide the seat cushions forward for more clearance to tilt in the seat backs.

I made a list of over thirty advantages for us in the 2021 over our 2019.  And a half a dozen trade-offs.  We are expecting to be happy.

• DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    @Oneota, thanks for the comments (and to the other commenters as well). And for the insight into the A/C compartment.

I'd be very interested in your Advantages list. If you're willing to share.

Stay warm, we've been around -30C all week.
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Oneota said:
    Our 2021 TAB 320s will be ready to pick up soon.  We were aware of storage issues, and since we often will be boondocking (not hooked up to shore power), we opted for an upper cabinet rather than the microwave.  This, I expect, will be delightfully accessible storage. 

Also, the under-kitchen-sink cabinets are, as noted above, considerably freer of plumbing for more usable storage.  I've measured under the seat where the A/C unit is, and there actually is some space there that could be carefully used.  The pull out bed slats free the space under the door side wheel well bench.  More small nooks, door storage than in our 2019 TAB 320s BL.

My concern is actually the clearance between the back seat backs and the overhead cabinets.  Will I be able to stuff our bedroll through the narrower space?  Looks like I may need to slide the seat cushions forward for more clearance to tilt in the seat backs.

I made a list of over thirty advantages for us in the 2021 over our 2019.  And a half a dozen trade-offs.  We are expecting to be happy.

You will want to title the seats forward, probably. I think I had to tilt the back if the bench seat forward on my 2015, too. The split seats makes it a little easier to access that area, though.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @Oneota I tried the bed roll in our clamshell, I could do it if I removed our duvet & cover off the roll and simply folded it separately.. haven't tried anything lighter like a quilt which we usually use in the warmer seasons..but being a "lazy clamshell" owner we'll probably leave it as bed mode ...😁...also when cutting the memory foam I made it so we could stack rather than roll..my 2 pieces can stack to the driver's side.
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    We roll our RV Superbags in our Mattress Insider memory foam toppers and slide them in under the cabinets. We leave the seats down and just the use the bed rolls as backrests. Easy, out of the way and lots more comfortable.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    andyboy said:
    We roll our RV Superbags in our Mattress Insider memory foam toppers and slide them in under the cabinets. We leave the seats down and just the use the bed rolls as backrests. Easy, out of the way and lots more comfortable.
    I have a 2018 320S Boondock, I've finally decided that using the entire bed option is the most comfortable for us.  I am thinking of ordering a Mattress Insider topper, but I would sometimes like to put up the seats and be able to roll up the bedding and put behind the rear couch -- will it fit back there if rolled up?
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    @PNWtabber, not an exact answer to your question but a little first hand insight. We ordered the organic 2 inch topper from Mattress Insider for our 2020 320U, 69 inches X 70 inches. The quality of the topper was excellent and very comfortable for us. The back side of the topper is a brownish colored canvas type material, somewhat industrial feeling. 

We would roll our bed up each morning and use Velcro straps to secure it in a roll. Due to the thickness of the topper and the canvas type backing  it made for a fairly large roll. We never tried to put it behind the bench so I cannot say if it would fit or not. After discussing with my wife we think it would be a tight fit. 

We endorse the use of the topper so much so that we ordered two twin size toppers which allow us to keep our table up and are much easier to handle. 

When we ordered our twin toppers we asked if we could have a different backing material and the short answer was no. They get the mattress material from their supplier already assembled. 

Cheers
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    Inasmuch as we are now t@b-less, I can’t go check but I suspect it will fit just fine. Besides being very  comfy, they’re very schmushable. And there is a lot of room back there. I added wire shelving over the top of the storage area back there to keep things on top and underneath where we stored roilet paper and such.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    This will help and is custom-made for the 2021 320S: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/517079802728071/
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • ChopinChopin Member Posts: 40
    We made a deliberate choice to order our 2021 320S without the microwave. Not only would we not use it much but you get a really spacious and well-placed cabinet instead. Otherwise storage is more than adequate. We really enjoy minimizing what we take and figuring out what we can do without. All our kitchen equipment fits under the sink with room to spare. We use the lower cabinet for dry food storage. The drawer under the fridge is great for stuff you need all the time like a camp knife, lighter, flashlight etc because it’s also easily accessible when you’re standing outside. We usually keep it in bed mode and leave the lagun table and side cushions at home, since we’re spending most of our time outdoors. It’s still nice to hang out on the bed if you need to be inside because of rain. But the times we’ve converted the bed while camping we found it easier to just keep the bedding in the back seat of the car. Overhead cabinets are enough for a few days of clothes. I use the long storage bin behind bed to store extra paper towel and other supplies that we don’t need to reach all the time. 
    said:

I have a 2018 320S Boondock, I've finally decided that using the entire bed option is the most comfortable for us.  I am thinking of ordering a Mattress Insider topper, but I would sometimes like to put up the seats and be able to roll up the bedding and put behind the rear couch -- will it fit back there if rolled up?
    @PNWtabber we have the mattress insider topper for the 2021 320S. It’s very comfortable. When rolled up you can just about squeeze it behind the seats but it’s not an easy fit at all. I wouldn’t recommend it. We just keep the bed made when traveling but if we ever need to stow the topper away we roll it up and put it in the back seat of the car. 
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited September 2021
    Chopin said:
    said:

@PNWtabber we have the mattress insider topper for the 2021 320S. It’s very comfortable. When rolled up you can just about squeeze it behind the seats but it’s not an easy fit at all. I wouldn’t recommend it. We just keep the bed made when traveling but if we ever need to stow the topper away we roll it up and put it in the back seat of the car. 
    They're not cheap, but companies like Exped and Thermarest have self inflating mattresses that are 3-4" thick. They roll down to a much smaller size than memory foam and weigh a lot less. I've had an Exped Megamat for 4 years and it's very comfortable. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    edited October 2021
    Marceline said: 
    They're not cheap, but companies like Exped and Thermarest have self inflating mattresses that are 3-4" thick. They roll down to a much smaller size than memory foam and weigh a lot less. I've had an Exped Megamat for 4 years and it's very comfortable. 
    Not cheap but very comfortable and well made! Worth it in my opinion. But glad to know about the Exped. That’s a great tip
  • edaletayloredaletaylor Member Posts: 12
    We have a 2021 and I thought the storage space was inadequate when we first got it.  Now that we are several 2 month each trips under our belt, I have paired down my "things" so much that I have room to spare.  Of course, I will add that we keep our folded clothes in the back of our suv and not inside the TAB.
  • Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 255
    I just camped for 5 days is northern, lower Michigan.  Still love my 320S....but am on a mission to refine my storage plan.  I like things neat and organized and I found that food storage was the biggest challenge.  I have the microwave, so most of my dry goods (bread, snacks, etc.) were shuffled between the Lagun table and the counter...which drove me crazy.  I will spend some time cleaning out my cabinets and getting rid of extra things that I rarely use.  I also want to try to add some additional shelving or racks to keep dry goods accessible, but out of the way. 
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    We consider ours our hard shell tent with a lot more storage than a tent. Food goes in a bin in the TV just like when we tented.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York