Options

Which to buy???

I am in the market to buy a TAB 320 Boondock. The problem is what year. I have concerns about the AC system in the 2020 and 2021 units as opposed to the window units in the 18 and 19's. I kind of like the idea of being able to just swap out the window unit if a failure occurs. I have also heard that the new unit makes more noise especially outside. The other feature I just heard about is that the cabinets in the 21 are lower over the bed therefore giving less headroom above the mattress. Is anyone aware of this feature and if so can you tell me by how much lower. I have not found anyplace that has both a new one and an older one together to do a side by side. 
Any assistance would be appreciated. FYI this is not a money issue buying new or used, I just want to make the best decision!
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    My wife and I were completely unable to sleep with our heads below the cabinet in our 2021 320 and to be quite honest I find it unfathomable that anyone does, there is nowhere near enough room IMHO. We slept the opposite way though, with our heads at the end by the entrance and our feet under the cabinets and it was great. 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Nursejoe, there is another major consideration beside the a/c to think about.  The new 2021 has a casette toilet versus a 2018/2019/2020 with a black tank. There is quite a difference if you cold weather camp.  With the 2021 cassette toilet, there is no worry about black tank, black tank gate valves freezing as there aren't any, with the earlier models, the freeze up and damage of the tank and gate valve has to come into play. How do you feel about emptying the black tank? The earlier models also have 3 way fridges and the 2021 had only a 2 way fridge and thus powering it if boondocking has to be in the equation too. If you're always hooked to shore power while camping and do no shoulder season to cold weather camping, think about my previous points.
    As a final thought, money isn't an object in our case. We prefer the 3 way fridge, and like the black tank set up. If we had to change the a/c unit, it is relatively simple. We don't plan to upgrade to a newer t@b, ever. We'll keep using this one 'til we're not able to camp anymore.
    -Denise 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Try all models, cs, s, etc and also pre 20/21 versions.  The cs bed was much too short for me, the s mostly too short.  Made do for about 8000 miles.  Looking at 400s now.  We looked at new 21s recently at the Florida RV Shore. Neither of us liked the differences from our 2018 Boondock.  We wouldn’t buy a 320 one now.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    NursejoeNursejoe Member Posts: 32
    Thanks everyone. I am aware of the toilet differences. While I think I would like the idea of cassette for the sake of simplicity, neither way is a deal breaker for me. Same goes with the fridge. As to trying all models...it's not really a practical idea. All models would have to be available and they are not. I have no interest in a CS model or frankly anything other than 320 Boondock. I have owned other travel trailers and have pretty much considered all options. 320 fits 98% of my check boxes. As I think I said, just trying to do my homework on <20 or 20> Thanks again, I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. The main question remaining is the cabinet height above the bed in in pre 21's vs 2021