Options

New 320 BD rear aluminum cage - Like or Dislike?

I can’t decide if I like the rear aluminum cage on our 2021 320 BD. It’s kind of cool looking but doesn’t serve much functional purpose other than a big towel rack or a place to hang a tube for sewer hose storage (but both of those are handy at times). I kind of like the sleeker appearance w/o the cage. 

I’m thinking about pulling it off and replacing with standard handles. I assume that can be done?  Anyone’s experience or thoughts?  Anyone interested in some kind of a swap of handles for a cage?
2021 320S BD
2006 F-150
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Comments

• Options
    DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    Love the new rear rack. Sturdier than the 2018 handles I’ve used up to now. Cold though. Might have to have gloves handy. 
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    Mine was delivered without one (early 320S Boondock) and when I asked, NuCamp offered to have one installed at the dealer however there would be no warranty on any cosmetic issues such as weld quality or discoloration.  I looked at it and decided I really like the look without it.  I have the Yakima racks to hang towels, etc on :-).  
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    edited April 2021
    I love the concept and I use it as carefully as I can to get access to the top of my rack (I have my remote solar panel there). I dislike doing it as it is not recommended to climb on it - I think LIGHT. NuCamp really ought to design it correctly to support say 300 lbs or DO NOT OFFER IT. It's crazy to have this and allow a lousy weld/finishing excuse for a product feature. I hope that when it finally fails it doesn't harm the lower support brackets. I'll then remove it and put handles on (and bring some kind of step ladder to access the top of the rack. Someone posted the lower support point pics and it did not look well done.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    I like it
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• Options
    JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    MarkAl said:
    I love the concept and I use it as carefully as I can to get access to the top of my rack (I have my remote solar panel there). I dislike doing it as it is not recommended to climb on it - I think LIGHT. NuCamp really ought to design it correctly to support say 300 lbs or DO NOT OFFER IT. It's crazy to have this and allow a lousy weld/finishing excuse for a product feature. I hope that when it finally fails it doesn't harm the lower support brackets. I'll then remove it and put handles on (and bring some kind of step ladder to access the top of the rack. Someone posted the lower support point pics and it did not look well done.
    You're a lot braver than I. I pack a small 2ft aluminum step ladder to access the rear rack.

To the OP - I overall don't mind it primarily because it's a great place to strap the sewer hose holder to. My only wish is that it was powdercoated black so it blends in better with the rear.
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    I've come to appreciate the rack more since my original post.  I've hung my sewer hose holder on it, used it as a towel rack, a place to tie the dog, and a way to push the trailer around.  I still kinda like the looks of the trailer without it, but it is handy.

I like the idea of black powdercoating.  Hmmm, I wonder it a guy could carefully sand it down, clean and prime it, and spray on a black matte finish that would match the Yakima rack.  Or just pull it off and have it powdercoated.

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Powder coat is forever(almost), rattle can is for a season(almost). If you’re gonna go through the effort, spend the extra money for the powder coat; you’ll be happier.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @4ncar, can you get powder coat in silver (asks the unknowledgeable blonde!)?  I’ve only seen powder coat in black, and that is why I ask.  Thanks
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    You can get powder coating in a wide variety of colors. One site said they have 6,500 colors. So you’d have to decide which silver!
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    Thank you, @WayneW
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    William_KeeverWilliam_Keever Member Posts: 37
    My wife wouldn’t let me get a Tab unless it had the rack on the back. She just likes how it looks. 
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited April 2021
    @Verna: more then a variety... any color of the rainbow! I have friends who have built custom hot rods where they have powder coated every bit of the underside of the car in colors such as lime green, so, silver should be easy. Another friend is building his drag car as we speak and selected gun metal gray for the rear axle and suspension bits...close, but not quite silver.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Thanks, @4ncar
    Verna, Columbus, IN