Options

Rear tail light on 2019 TAB 400 Boondock replacement process?

The left rear tail light on my 2019 TAB 400 Boondock is not working. I have a replacement light unit ordered. Now how do I install? I am guessing I prior off (not twist?) the outside gray ring that goes around the red lens to get access to the from of the light unit. Then I "think" I remove the back plywood board under the bed to get access to the wiring to disconnect old and connect the new one. Is this correct? Does anyone have experience with this and can share some "dos & don'ts" before I begin? Hints to make it easy?
Thank-you very much for your assistance.
2019 TAB 400 Boondock

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Yes, the back board under the bed covers the wiring.  It is held on by screws--a #2 square drive screwdriver is needed.  The hinges for the front center board are attached to this rear board so you will have to remove the screws there also.  Then the rear board just lifts out.  Once the wiring is exposed you can easily trace the wiring to the various lights.  There will be crimp-on connectors connecting the wiring harness to the short wires from the taillight.  You will have to cut those and then use a new connector to join the new wires.  There is plenty of slack in the wiring but be frugal about cutting the wires loose.

However, you might not have to remove all that.
    The "chrome" plastic trim ring is held in place by three small molded in clips.  Pry (gently, gently) the trim ring up slightly and you can find the clips.  Gently (gently) pry those clips away from the body of the light and you can remove the trim ring.  The taillight itself is held in place by three screws.  Once those screws are out you can pull the taillight out off the plastic housing around the rear of the TAB.  You should be able to pull enough wiring out so that you can cut the crimp-on connectors off and then connect the new taillight.  There is a rubber grommet around the wires leading into the body of the TAB and it might have some sort of water sealant in it or around it.  That might make it a bit tricky to pull the old wires and connectors out and to push the new ones in.  You might need to remove that grommet and use a new one.  Be sure to reseal any holes because that is a prime place for water to sneak in.

Then just put the new taillight in place screw in the screws (snug on the screws is enough because they attach to plastic and you don't want to strip the hole in the plastic), and then push the trim ring back on.

BTW, use a hand screwdriver and not a battery operated one.  That way you can feel when everything is tight enough and not strip any screw holes.
  • Options
    GliddenwoodsGliddenwoods Member Posts: 43
    Thank-you falcon1970 that is useful information.
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock