Options

Fire Exit etc ?

RCBRCB Member Posts: 199
On our 2019 - 400, there is a sticker on the rear “sky” window that says Emergency or Fire Exit. So how is that supposed to work with all the hardware .? Perhaps just kick the window out or take time to disconnect the hold opens. Is this sticker a code requirement etc? 
And....while I’m at it , placing that mini fire extinguisher on the door and down so low, and possibly outside if the door is open does not seem to be a good location if you ever need to use it. Perhaps relocated to the galley side of the pillar contains the controls would be more accessible. 
400 - 2019
St Catharines, ON

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    If it’s on fire. Breaking the skylight would be of little concern. I always like to have a fire extinguisher close at hand when I sleep. Especially in a small confined area.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2021
    I can't speak to exiting a 400 as I have a T@G, but placement of a fire extinguisher is something I have some experience with.
    While it may seem like mounting it on the door is a dubious location, it's actually a really good one. 
    The first rule of fire: get out. After that, grab the extinguisher and head back in armed to deal with your flaming mousse or flambe.
    Second, keep in mind that, statistically speaking, it's much more likely (depending on your cooking style anyway) that you'll be using your extinguisher on someone else's fire. Whether it's a vehicle fire or campfire, just open the door and you've got your gear. 
    My Jeep cronies are persistently horrible at putting their extinguishers in a "cool" location behind the back seat or on the rollbar. Dumb. The one I have in my trailer is right inside the door where I can reach it from the outside. Same with my Jeep fire extinguisher. 
    I like metal projects and welding and occasionally have started small fires with my grinder.....I mean, I HEARD about a guy who did that once. Around home, If one's trailer or tow vehicle is sitting next to the garage or workspace, grabbing an extinguisher is quick and fast. There's nothing inside a drum brake that will easily ignite, but the hub grease will burn as it drips out of the hub onto hot brakes. 
    Shut off the fuel at its source. Nevermind letting the fire department have access to your propane bottle. Your trailer will look like a pile of aluminum kindling after those axe-wielding guys get done with it. What about YOU having access? (Honey....do you have the key to the storage box?) Electrical fires: (we mechanics like to refer to those as: "the smoke test") Electrical fires are tough.  As long as the battery has voltage, it'll just keep merrily reigniting whatever is burning until you shut off the battery disconnect. Can you easily get to THAT? 
    As to getting out in a fire, think it through in advance. You'll be surprised at how agile you can be in the moment, (I know I was) but it doesn't hurt to know how beforehand.
    And....please...Do read the instructions on your fire extinguisher. It's awkward to stagger around your inferno (or someone else's) with a face full of foam or powder.... I mean...I HEARD it was....

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.