• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @rcarlson1957 Thanks for the link!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    @AnOldUR    Thanks for the info on parts---I was looking at that battery pack as well, but haven't pulled the plug on it yet.    Another question--I have my spare mounted on the tongue jack post.  Can you tell me the clearance between the front of the box and the jack post?  Thanks!
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,283
    edited June 2021
    @rcarlson1957 ... Those vents look nice! Where were you last week? ;)
    @lkc001 ... A big reason for going with this box was to get clearance to swing my tailgate, so my spare will stay on the back, but there's about 17" between the box and the jack post so that shouldn't be a problem for a tire location.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I replaced my nuCamp jack with a Ultimate Trailer Jack today. It didn't give me the clearance to fully swing open my rear door before hitting the new box, but I didn't think it would. My plan was to extend the hitch back a little to accomplish that. The good news is that it opens far enough now to get all the access to the back that I need. Most importantly, my old dog can jump in without having to go through the passenger door and navigate around the seat (it’s a two door). Before this mod, I couldn't even open the back window. Mostly happy that I don't have to extend the hitch.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Final addition to this thread. My original thought was to use diamond plate to fill in the gap between the box and jack. Then I found a basket used/returned at a good discount on Amazon. Not sure what will go in it if anything. I just think it gives a more finished look. Hope my posts here help anyone looking to do a similar modification.

Final comparative photo’s:

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    @AnOldUR Hello again--I was doing a search on "polypropylene" at Home Depot and it's not bringing up anything.  Could it be called something else?  Thank you

Woohoo!
  • Options
    @lkc001 ... The sheet of polypropylene that I used was kicking around my garage for probably 20 years. No idea where it came from originally, but I'd guess it was one of the plastic supply houses. I doubt if it would be cost effective to buy new. There are other plastic that may be cheaper (PVC, HDPE ...) or maybe aluminum sheet that would accomplish the same thing.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    HDPE can be found at woodworking stores as it is used for parts of jigs that duplicate “parts” for what is being made. 

Lowe’s has a .375” x 4’x8’ sheet for just under $84, while Amazon has smaller craft type pieces, possibly for a bit higher price. I just searched these two for HDPE. I’m sure Rockler and Woodcrafters would have a higher price than Lowe’s. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @AnOldUR @Verna.  Any ideas on what else might be used instead of the poly or HDPE?  Those are pretty pricey.  Would that box be rigid enough without that platform under it?
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Treated plywood , but I don’t know how long it’s life expectancy is with the weather splashing up against it. 

Lowe’s (and probably the other big box stores do have composite wood in different widths. 1x2’s, 1x4, 1x6. Place those side by side until you have enough to cover the bottom and screw a cleat of the same material under each end. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Verna. Yes I thought of plywood too but it won't hold up long term so I kind of took that idea off the table
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    @AnOldUR  I finally found an aluminum toolbox like your new one in stock at Tractor Supply and it was on sale for $50 off!  So I am ready to start this project.  Yea! 

Another question--when you bolted your box and rigid base onto the tongue, did you bolt clear through the top of the tongue frame AND through the bottom of the C channel or only through the top of the C channel?  How long were the bolts you used and did you use locking nuts also?  Thank you again
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41

Here is my replacement for the box that came with the 2019 T@B. I attached a 64” diamond plate truck bed toolbox to an inverted hitch basket acting as a platform. The basket is through bolted to the frame and the tool/ tongue box is bolted to the platform.

The tongue box has a very low profile (14” high), is relatively high quality and was available at a huge discount. The pics will show how the box was partially lined with plywood to allow for partitioning and easy attachment. The low profile only allows for one 5lb tank, which has proven to be more than sufficient as I also carry a few one pound tanks and often cook over a fire or on the bbq. There is room for 2 batteries wired in parallel, a second charge controller for an additional solar panel and space for a tool box and misc tools. The tongue box has been wired for exterior 12 volt plugins, both SAE and cigarette lighter type. The box came vented but I also added two holes and used 2 inch aluminum round soffit screens to cover. I moved the master shutoff to the inside.

At the time I decided to move the spare tire from underneath the camper to a forward tongue position. As you can see the crank handle for the jack was removed and replaced with a hex head bolt. The truck tailgate can now drop and completely clear the jack post. Between the tire and the tongue box there is a post to receive a removable bike mount.

Although my tongue weight has increased to approx 14% with a single bike attached, the camper tows very well. Feel free to comment.

Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
    Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    lkc001 said:
    ... when you bolted your box and rigid base onto the tongue, did you bolt clear through the top of the tongue frame AND through the bottom of the C channel or only through the top of the C channel?
    I only bolted through to top of the channel as was done with the original installation.
    lkc001 said:
    ... How long were the bolts you used and did you use locking nuts also?  Thank you again
    I used six 1-1/4" long 5/16-18 stainless steel bolts with stainless steel nylon locking nuts and washers on both sides. I used the four holes from the original installation and added two more.

edit to add:
    In the process of adding a second 125ah battery and solar controller to the box. Will post pictures when complete. Good luck with your project. Feel free to post your results here.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41
    I think there are a few of us making the same mods. Second last picture immediately above shows the two agm batteries that I installed in parallel with a solar charge controller.
    Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
    Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods 
  • Options
    @georgianwinds clever idea using the PVC to hold 1 gal propane bottles!!
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    Hi @AnOldUR - I am verrrry interested in a link to (or Amazon description of) that basket....
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    Hi @AnOldUR - I am verrrry interested in a link to (or Amazon description of) that basket....

Went to my Amazon history and clicked on the link. Surprised to see the "new" price has gone from $135 to $164. When I ordered mine I bought one "used - very good" condition for a large discount on the $135 price. It's the perfect fit, but not sure I'd have gone for $164.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    daviswelding17daviswelding17 Member Posts: 3
    A bit off topic. I am admiring your front jack wheels.  Where did you get them/where can I find them?  Do you think they will roll through gravel if it is installed on a T@B400 Boondock?  Not deep gravel, just what they spread in yards here in Arizona.
    Future T@B 400 Boondock Owners
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0L Duramax
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @daviswelding17, if the gravel is no worse than the depth of the gravel in the group parking lot of Usery Mountain Regional Park, those knobby tires would work. I had to get rid of the tires on my eBike and have a bike shop put knobby tires on it because of that gravel. After that, I could ride in 3” deep sand and the small pea gravel. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I am admiring your front jack wheels.  Where did you get them/where can I find them?
    My wheels came from Harbor Freight. I mod'ed the original wheel mount to lower the profile and make the yoke less prone to flexing. I have no experience with a 400, but from my experience with my 320, I'd say it would be a huge improvement.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    daviswelding17daviswelding17 Member Posts: 3
    AnOldUR said:
    I am admiring your front jack wheels.  Where did you get them/where can I find them?
    My wheels came from Harbor Freight. I mod'ed the original wheel mount to lower the profile and make the yoke less prone to flexing. I have no experience with a 400, but from my experience with my 320, I'd say it would be a huge improvement.

Great Idea, Whenever my wife and I get our 400 I will do the same.  
    Future T@B 400 Boondock Owners
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0L Duramax
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    (edit: Double posted by mistake, but might as well leave it ....)
    Here's an update . I upgraded to two group 31 125Ah batteries and had to do some rearranging in the box, but everything fit with room to spare for the other stuff that rides in there. Also mounted a Victron controller for a solar suitcase in there and put a port on the side of the box.

Stockton, New Jersey