Options

My new tab shade cage mod

LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
edited June 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
Morning, in our backyard, central Florida heat from the western sun hits the tab hard.  So, I built a cage out of 2 inch pvc pipes and self tapping screws, along with metal straps to support each corner.  Straps going in now.  The side ground pipes will be anchored in the paver deck with tap cons.  The side outlet corners ordered online and arrived in days but everything else local Home Depot.  Amazon for the camo and cordage which is zig zagged on screws in top of frame which snugs it in place, but creates the roof support.  I could not use a 10 x 20 pre made canopy and the 10 x 17 at harbor freight is enclosed in the back so I needed the opening to the galley.  It should diffuse some heat and help with any unexpected hail.  It is a fun build.

Comments

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 460
    Enemy bombers won't see it! What's the plan to hold it down in winds? I was dreaming that with this you don't have to back it in after a trip, just move it around the trailer!
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    so I have metal pipe straps that are made to attach 2 inch pvc. They will be tapconned into the paver deck. All corner pipe connections are screwed together too and 12 inch metal straps have all the corners together now. We just added a sold green sun shade over the front for extra shade and over a 1/3 of the top. Sun is brutal so that definitely helps.  This is what happens when I needed a project. And yes, the tab easily pulls forward and out or we simply slide it back under the straps to pavers once in.
  • Options
    Ok so when I listen to my wife, this is how we will do it and it means more shade and easy back in and pull out without turning it on the deck.  Ok, I will say it….My wife was right!  
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Are the pavers secured in concrete or a bed of sand (as they are in the Southwest)? 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    They sit in asphalt with sand around rhe grooves.  The screws are long.