Options

Parking and storing on a sloping driveway?

NorCalMikeNorCalMike Member Posts: 52
I have a 2022 T@B 400 coming in late Aug (I hope) and trying to figure out a way to store in at my house vs off site storage facility.  My driveway is plenty big enough but is sloping at 6% as measured by the angle finder on my iPhone.  Not sure how accurate that is but looks pretty close to me.  Are there any issues/concerns with long term storage on a slope?  I will have a 12v fridge so leveling for LP not an issue.  I know the big challenge is making sure it doesn't roll and assume best to lift up tongue to close to level but wonder if anyone out there has faced this problem and have any good ideas? I worry chalks will slide so maybe some big timber like railroad ties?  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I think this came up before where someone suggested some heavy duty rubber chocks instead of the cheap plastic ones like we use, to get better friction.  I forget the source, maybe Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Harbor freight has some very nice heavy duty rubber chocks for less than $10.00 each.  Big timber like railroad ties will be hard (they are very heavy) to put under the trailer and will probably slide easier than rubber chocks.  Of course a lot depends on the driveway surface.
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    NorCalMikeNorCalMike Member Posts: 52
    Thanks all...heading to Harbor Freight.  Those look good.  Maybe also run a cable through wheel and attach to frame.  Have never crawled under one to see how this might work.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    I had a driveway with a tiny slope, just enough to get the trailer moving if not chocked.  Maneuvering it alone was always a thrill.  I was always afraid of the little chocks bouncing or moving as I tried to place them to stop the trailer.  Found a big fence post that narrowed the margin of error. Just have to shove it "close" and it will stop the trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    Has anyone thought of using rubber parking blocks?  You can buy them in various lengths and most have holes to accommodate pins to keep them in place.  If you were going to use this as a place to keep the trailer most of the time you could drill holes in your driveway and use a length of rebar or a long bolt to keep them in place.  You could make it so the installation isn't permanent.  Back the trailer in, put the blocks down and slip the rebar in the holes, pull the trailer forward against the blocks, then unhitch.  And just the opposite to hook up.  

This would be a multi-step process every time you unhooked or hooked up, but if you're stuck with a sloping driveway this might be worth it.  Just a thought.

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Another option is to get or make a ramp to back the trailer onto to level the wheels off the slope, and add chocks.  The ramp would need to be secured to the driveway somehow for max safety.  Just a thought… B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @WayneW -- I have seriously considered installing a curb somehow.  I may look into the parking blocks like you have linked, just need to figure the best way to affix them.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @PNWtabber, I used those in my previous house’s garage as the garage was barely long enough for my truck, and I didn’t want to hit the wall. They do work well, but they are terrible for knees if you trip over them!  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna -- ouch!!

• Options
    Ouch indeed!  That’s why I was thinking about a removable option. Big enough holes in your driveway so you could slide a length of rebar/bolt in and out. The curb would need to be removed anyway to back in or pull out. But that only works if you’re willing to drill some holes in your driveway. It’s not a perfect solution but better than having your trailer in your neighbor’s living room across the street. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    @WayneW in my situation, I would not need to remove mine, but I can see it would be a good idea to put something there when the trailer is being used so someone doesn't trip over the curb.

• Options
    You’d think those yellow reflective safety stripes would help, but I’ve been known to trip over bigger stuff than those curbs!
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @WayneW, me, too!  We won’t even talk about hitches…..🙄
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”