Options

Carrying a Scooter?

OmniphilOmniphil Member Posts: 50
Does anyone carry a scooter with them when they travel with their T@B? I'd love to bring our scooter along for the ride but it certainly doesn't fit inside the T@B.
Was thinking possibly a front hitch for the Jeep?

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I don’t recall a scooter discussion on the forum.  However, we have some crazy-smart people who could probably help you out. Please provide more info on your Jeep and scooter (model year, weight of scooter, etc.).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Manual, electric or gas?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    See what I mean? Here’s one of those crazy-smarties already.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. Factory tow package rated at 7200lbs. We have the air shocks as well so it auto levels depending on load. So weight isn't much of an issue as the T@B is like 2000lbs and we are probably at about 230lbs tongue weight and we are rated to 720lbs.

The Scooter is gas powered, 150cc. (Honda ADV150). Curb weight is 300lbs. It's 6.5 feet long.

I've seen motorcycle carriers that plug into a hitch, but we sort of have the T@B back there, so that complicates things...

The easy answer is have the misses drive the jeep and I take the scooter. This is fine for short trips, the scooter tops out at 67mph so extended highway travel isn't ideal and the misses really doesn't like driving with the camper attached either. Maybe could get it on the tongue area between the Jeep and T@B, but then I don't think i'll be able to turn...
  • Options
    I doubt you'd be able to store it in the back of your TV.  The seat height alone is 31" and the handlebars and windscreen are even taller. Here is a link for a front hitch.  Max vertical weight is 350 lbs.  The curb weight of the Honda with full fuel is 294 lbs.  That leaves only 56 lbs. for the rack the Honda will sit on.
    Front hitch for 2015 Jeep:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Front-Hitch/Jeep/Grand+Cherokee/2015/C31033.html?vehicleid=20151365449
    Scooter rack (weighs 60 lbs.):
    https://www.discountramps.com/410acr/p/410ACR/
    The Honda holds 2.1 gallons of gas.  A gallon of gas weighs 6 lbs., so maybe travel with the tank empty and save 13 lbs. of weight.

• Options
    294 lbs. less 13 of gas = 281.  281 plus the 60 lb. rack = 341.  Just under the 350 lb. max limit of the hitch.
  • Options
    We solved the issue by trading in the jeep grand cherokee for a ford ranger.  More than one way to attack the problem I suppose....
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    300lb on a front hitch. I suspect it would cause some serious problems with your front end steering Geometry. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun