Options

Adding a second battery

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
If you have installed a second battery where did you locate it?

1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    I have 2 6 volt  golf cart batteries in a box on the tongue. 210 ah of battery.
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    normfun said:
    I have 2 6 volt  golf cart batteries in a box on the tongue. 210 ah of battery.
    Are they stacked or side by side? Did you relocate the original box?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Hash, Norm did a write up a couple of months ago.  Try a search of golf cart or golf.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    The write up is in "Too much solar"  The 2 batteries are side by side in a new box from Amazon.  It also allowed me to install a second propane tank since we camp all winter.  The tongue weight did increase some but stayed in an acceptable range for me.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited July 2015
    Norm, a couple of questions, if you don't mind: 
    Is that box lockable?
    What brand of batteries did you get and have they met your expectations?
    How did you build your platform?

I am thinking about going with a couple that get ok reviews from Sam's. Thanks!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited July 2015
    The Box is NOT lockable. However you could replace the knob/bolts that hold the lid on with security head bolts to discourage the opportunist. So far 12 night since the mod. I am liking the results. The batteries are interstate from Costco. I think they were about $85 each. Phase 2 of this project I will install 200 watts of Renogy bendable solar panels to the top of the T@B.  The platform is slotted angle iron from Lowes. I attached it to the frame using some old camper shell clamps I had laying around. Secured to the box with bolts and a ratchet strap. In 2000 miles it has no budged. 

• Options
    Thanks, Norm!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Norm, I really like the idea of using camper clamps (genius!) Would you mind posting close-ups of your platform when you have a chance? Do your clamps look like either of these?

• Options
    Jenn they are similar to this. The bolt is removed. The bolt and washer then goes thru a hole in the angle iron. Then you thread the j clamp part on to the bolt and position it to grasp the frame rail. Tighten all 4 evenly and you have the "platform" mounted. It took a little thinking and some effort but is working out great. I think you could use almost any J shaped bolt and simply cut off any excess that interferes with the box. Look at Lowes or HD with your tab frame and angle iron in mind. You'll find a solution. I had the brackets so used them. 

• Options
    Awesome, Norm. Thanks for the thorough explanation. I was thinking a beam clamp might work, too.

• Options
    Jenn,  It really is not a monumental task.  Just look at it and measure everything then head to the hardware store.  There are many solutions that would work as well or better than mine.  I'm cheap so used what I had and made it work.  Having the larger batteries has removed a lot of worry.  Good luck and post up your progress.

• Options
    GlennBeckGlennBeck Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2015
    I replaced the non-lockable latch with a lock set from one of my standup tool boxes in the garage.  I also riveted a steel strip to give the latch something better than flimsy plastic to dissuade a thief while we are away or while she's in storage.  I know nothing is foolproof, but maybe this will keep the honest thieves from taking my LP tank, battery or the other things we store under the lid!
    Glenn & Annie
    2016 T@B CS-S Max Black on Silver
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    normfun said:
    The Box is NOT lockable. However you could replace the knob/bolts that hold the lid on with security head bolts to discourage the opportunist. So far 12 night since the mod. I am liking the results. The batteries are interstate from Costco. I think they were about $85 each. Phase 2 of this project I will install 200 watts of Renogy bendable solar panels to the top of the T@B.  The platform is slotted angle iron from Lowes. I attached it to the frame using some old camper shell clamps I had laying around. Secured to the box with bolts and a ratchet strap. In 2000 miles it has no budged. 
    I replaced the flip latch on the box with one of my standup tool box sturdy lock sets and riveted a steel catch into the flimsy plastic to give it a bit more resistance to the "honest" thief's attempts to open on the first or second try.  Now I don't have to worry about when I have the T@B in storage or someone just walking up and taking the LP, battery or anything else we store in the box.  
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    @normfunWill be starting the project soon. Apart from the fuse included with the original battery, did you add any fuses?

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    GlennBeck said:
    I replaced the flip latch on the box with one of my standup tool box sturdy lock sets and riveted a steel catch into the flimsy plastic to give it a bit more resistance to the "honest" thief's attempts to open on the first or second try.  Now I don't have to worry about when I have the T@B in storage or someone just walking up and taking the LP, battery or anything else we store in the box.  
    I was advised by my dealer not to put a lock on the propane locker as a thief, who thinks a battery is there will cause more damage by breaking the locker.  They recommend anyone leaving their trailer in storage remove the battery and store it inside the trailer as they have had a number stolen from parked trailers.

I have permanently installed the GEL battery inside and I do cable lock the propane tank to the trailer frame.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    @Jenn. Nope didn't add any more wire or fuse.  The original wires were long enough to reach the new box.  I guess I did add the two wires to link the batteries together though.

• Options

I was advised by my dealer not to put a lock on the propane locker as a thief, who thinks a battery is there will cause more damage by breaking the locker.  They recommend anyone leaving their trailer in storage remove the battery and store it inside the trailer as they have had a number stolen from parked trailers.

I have permanently installed the GEL battery inside and I do cable lock the propane tank to the trailer frame.
    All good points, Ray.  I'm hoping that since I store the T@B on a secure lot on a secure Air Force Base I might avoid the honest thief, but nothing stops a determined one.  I will cable lock the propane as an additional deterrent.  Thanks for the idea.
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    I also added a marine battery disconnect switch to eliminate unwanted battery drain while in storage.  Very easy and mounted with heavy duty zip ties to the shell frame for easy access and readability.
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Glenn, which disconnect switch is that? I had to take one back because it required too many holes to be drilled.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    kybob said:
    Glenn, which disconnect switch is that? I had to take one back because it required too many holes to be drilled.
    @kybobit looks like the same I have:http://amzn.to/1SIWlo8

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    edited August 2015
    @jkjenn Thanks!  Does Amazon also have the longer wires that I will need to connect the battery to this?
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options

• Options
    kybob, just got back from putting "Rosie" in camper storage, but jkjenn is 100% correct.  I did use am 18" cable since I wanted options on where to install the switch.  The limiting factor will be the leads from your positive cable, though. 
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6