Options

Jack retrofit for Jeep Wrangler

As one would expect, you can't open the back of a Jeep Wrangler due to the jack. This is for a 2021 320 Boondock. I am looking for an alternative jack. The two solutions I tried didn't meet my needs. First off, the "Jack e Up" doesn't fit flush on the trailer tongue without spacers on two of the holes. Additionally, I just don't like the idea of having to store yet another item while traveling.
The second choice was the Ultimate Jack that would have been perfect except for the fact the jack tube is just slightly bigger than the bottom hole on the trailer and, thus, doesn't work as intended.
With that background, is there another choice I am not aware of?
Any suggestions would be great.
Cheers,
Ken

Comments

• Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    It's not hard to modify the bottom hole to make the UJ work.  I just used a rat-tailed file for a few minutes on ours and the UJ slipped right in.  Works great with my TJ.
    You can see pics of ours here:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/111448#Comment_111448

The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,291
    edited August 2021
    That hole isn’t that much smaller. Similar to @targ I opened it up with a hand grinder. The Ultimate Jack solved my Jeep Wrangler door opening problems. I take it off and store it in the basket while traveling.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    khenkekhenke Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2021
    Thanks for the comment! Yea, without many other options, I may have to do the same as you did. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    targ said:
    It's not hard to modify the bottom hole to make the UJ work.  I just used a rat-tailed file for a few minutes on ours and the UJ slipped right in.  Works great with my TJ.
    You can see pics of ours here:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/111448#Comment_111448

Thanks for replying! I had seen your post several weeks ago in searching but couldn’t find it again recently. You reassured me the Ultimate Jack can work.
    I assume that you also purchased some longer bolts for the two holes to accommodate those spacers/washers? Cheers!
  • Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    edited August 2021
    I can't recall if I had to get longer bolts or not.
    It was just a blurb in my post, but I'll reiterate to be sure it wasn't missed; depending on your Jeep's tire size, length/drop of your drawbar, etc, the tailgate mounted spare tire may not actually clear the UJ's collar without slightly jack-knifing the trailer a bit.
    I run 32" tires and a 2" lift on my TJU and when the trailer is dead straight behind the Jeep, the spare tire will snag on that collar.
    I saw another UJ post somewhere on the forum where the person didn't care for my washer stack and instead opted to shave off part of the UJ mount plate to make it sit flush with the welded plate on the T@B.  In my case, that is all it would take for the spare tire to clear the collar.
    Point being, you *may* have a slight clearance issue, but there are at least a couple trivial ways to fix it.
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    edited August 2021
    targ said:
    I can't recall if I had to get longer bolts or not.
    It was just a blurb in my post, but I'll reiterate to be sure it wasn't missed; depending on your Jeep's tire size, length/drop of your drawbar, etc, the tailgate mounted spare tire may not actually clear the UJ's collar without slightly jack-knifing the trailer a bit.
    I run 32" tires and a 2" lift on my TJU and when the trailer is dead straight behind the Jeep, the spare tire will snag on that collar.
    I saw another UJ post somewhere on the forum where the person didn't care for my washer stack and instead opted to shave off part of the UJ mount plate to make it sit flush with the welded plate on the T@B.  In my case, that is all it would take for the spare tire to clear the collar.
    Point being, you *may* have a slight clearance issue, but there are at least a couple trivial ways to fix it.
    Yea, I also have large spare tire on my Rubicon. Thus, as you mention, the tire will still not clear the jack. However, the advantage of quick jack removal, if need be, is still appealing 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,291
    edited August 2021
    targ said: I saw another UJ post somewhere on the forum where the person didn't care for my washer stack and instead opted to shave off part of the UJ mount plate to make it sit flush with the welded plate on the T@B.
    Could have been me. I just hit mine on a bench grinder. No big deal.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler