Options

3-Way vs 2-Way

I have to admit I’m completely confused by the differences in these in the 400. I thought a 2-way was battery or shore power. Apparently it’s actually propane and shore power. Is that correct? Does one cool better? Is one better for Boondocking? Is one better if you plan to always use shore power? What are the actual size differences? I think the 3-way is bigger. But it seems that the sizes of both units fluctuate. I’m placing an order and want to understand the fridges and their differences. Thanks! Andy

Comments

• Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 91
    @McMullap…this is certainly information  you should be getting from your dealer.

We have a 2018 400 with the 2-way refrigerator. It runs on 12v (battery power) or 120v (shore power). We boondock almost exclusively and have never had a problem with the refrigerator. 

The 3-way runs on 12v, 120v or propane. We have had propane refrigerators in previous trailers. They don’t seem to maintain a constant cold temperature like the 12-volt does. They also take longer to cool down when loading up the trailer before a trip. 

The 3-way also eliminates the wardrobe closet in the 400. 

My wife and I are very happy with the 2-way frig and really like the wardrobe space. 

Gary
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    edited September 2021
    Here's what I know and think; others may have different views. 
    What I know: 2-way is battery and shore powered, 3-way adds propane as an option.  They both cool just fine until you get into a mid 90 degree ambient temperature and at that point the 2-ways cools much better because it uses a compressor, like your home fridge; the 3-way uses a heat source to vaporize the coolant and just can't keep up at high temps (although fans and good electrical wiring can help). 
    As to boondocking, the 3-way with its use of propane can keep you off the grid much longer (e.g., 2 weeks) than the 2-way, unless you have a decent sized battery, solar panels and plenty of sun to power your 2-way......BUT, if the temp gets too high your 3-way probably won't keep your food cold enough to be edible.
    If you are always on shore power it won't matter which you have, as long as the temperature doesn't get into the mid to upper 90s.  For high temperature camping, the 2-way should serve you well - or you could get a good cooler to use instead of the fridge when the temps are high (that's what we do).
    In the 400 the 3-way is bigger and is located next to the bath; the 2-way is on the sink/stove side and is smaller.  I don't have the sizes on hand but they should be readily available online.  
    Hope that helps.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    McMullapMcMullap Member Posts: 24
    Thank you guys. And Gande, I spoke to the dealer and THEY are the ones that told me the 2-way was propane or shore power. I was baffled. I’m not an expert on refrigeration but I always thought 3-way added propane ability as RMo mentions. I hope more people can confirm. Thanks!
  • Options
    Well…….maybe your dealer misspoke. But you might want to consider another dealer. 

Good luck. 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    The 2-way is 12 volt and shore power as described above. In our experience the 2-way is large enough for our needs. Only issue seems to be that the freezer compartment at the top of the fridge frosts up pretty heavily, and also drips water down onto the floor of the fridge. But then, we’re from Texas where it’s hot and humid.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Just a side comment, I love shore power and propane, have never used battery option. While I don’t use the propane setting often, when I do need it, it’s really nice to have! I had to unplug from shore power between bad storms once and being able to use the propane mode saved my food. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The two-way Isotherm fridge currently offered in the 2021 T@B 320’s has a compressor, like your home fridges. It works extremely well, needs a bit more watching in the upper 90’s+, but it does still keep food cold—this is personal experience. I’m not sure of the brand I had in my former 2019 T@B 400, but it was also a two way compressor driven and it kept food cold and worked very well. Both fridges are energy efficient, and it appears that if you have efficient solar panels, around 200 watts, you can be off grid and Boondock as much as you want. Those with around 100 watts seem to need to be very careful with watching their battery meters, and may need to add additional portable solar suitcases. 

I have had a 50 qt two-way compressor ARB fridge freezer in the back seat of my truck for the past 8 years. I recently took a 4-week trip from Indiana to Utah and all states between and it kept chicken tenderloins frozen for the entire trip (I took too much frozen food for the trip). The ARB is also compressor driven. 

The Norcold 3-way fridges in the T@B 320’s were great, but the ones from 2014 to 2017 seem to be starting to have maintenance problems. Sometimes simply cleaning the thermocouple helps, but other times, one or more of the three functions quit working. Not every one of the older 3-ways, but I see many complaints and questions here on this forum. 

After having a compressor driven two-way fridge in my T@B’s for almost 4-years, and my ARB, I have no intention of returning to the three way and the two way is just more energy efficient. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    The fridges operate as others have mentioned above.  We opted for the 3-way fridge in our 400.  I have also have other 3-way fridges in past trailers so am familiar with them.  Our current 3-way fridge has operated flawlessly, as have my past ones, in the almost 1 1/2 years we have used it.  We opted for it because we like the size of it and the placement of it in the trailer.  Being a taller person I did not want to squat down and try to find things buried in the back of the smaller 2way fridge.  Also being able to run in off of propane means we have tons of battery life when off grid to use for other things.  Our batter very rarely drops below 88% even when using the inverter to run the coffee pot or the dvd player to watch a movie.  Temps with it on shore power and on propane have been very cold even when temps are in the high 80s to low 90s.  That being said we camp out west mostly in CO, WY and Utah where the air is much drier.  I'm not sure how it will perform in humid conditions.  We also have no issues with clothing storage with the 3-way taking the spot of the wardrobe.  There are so many cubbies and cabinets in the trailer, we do not have the microwave either so we get another cabinet in it's place, that my wife and I can easily store over a weeks worth of clothing.  Jackets and hoodies are hung on the hooks in the bathroom and on the hooks we placed on back of the bathroom door.  

Like Verna we too have a high efficiency 12v compressor fridge in the back seat of the truck and we take in on longer trips in lieu of a cooler.  It allows us to store extra drinks and food then transfer them to the 3-way fridge when needed.  We also use it alone when we go off road and truck camp.  Having both I think there are pros and cons to both types of fridges.  I just think the 3-way suits us better in the 400 for where we are and how we use it.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    @bergger, I am glad to hear your larger 3-way works well. May I ask what brand name it is, please?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Verna,  Our trailer came with a Norcold N3104 3.7 cu ft fridge.   We have an early production 2021 400.  Norcold has discontinued that model and replaced it with the N4104 so the newer trailers may have the 4104.  Honestly I can not tell what has changed with the newer model.  All the specs online and appearance are identical so who knows if anything has changed.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    @Verna and @bergger...I am curious as to how you use your ARB refrigerator.  Do you keep it plugged in to your tow vehicle constantly while camping?  Do you have an auxiliary battery for the ARB or just the standard TV battery?  How long can you run it before having to charge the TV battery? 

We carry a rotomolded cooler as our secondary cold storage, and of course have to replenish the ice periodically.

Thanks,

Gary
    gande

2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    I have a Jackery 1000 that powers the fridge. Without recharging the Jackery it will power the fridge for about 3.5 days easily. But I have the Jackery plugged into either a 12v socket in the truck or the 120v/inverter socket I have in the truck. With normal driving on trips it keeps the Jackery charged up indefinitely.  If I’m not going to drive for several days I’ll use the Jackery solar panels to charge it.  I’ve got an Iceco fridge. I’ve owned Engle and dometic fridges in the past and I and love this one. Much less expensive and uses the same compressor as many of the other fridges do. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    @gande, my ARB is plugged into the 12V accessory plug in the back seat while driving. In my two previous T@B’s, when stopped for the night, I took a 10 gauge 2 conductor cable out the window and it plugged into an SAE plug on the front tub of the T@B, running off the dual batteries of the T@B. I need to install an SAE plug on my front tub of my 2021 T@B 320 in order to continue to use it this way. 

I do have a Jackery 500 that is intended to be used for the ARB during daytime stops of over a couple of hours. It worked for 1 3/4 nights to power the ARB during boondocking on BLM land, and due to the extremely hazy skies from the forest fires, the 100 watt solar suitcase was barely able to stay ahead of use. I’ll add that temps were in the mid to high 80’s. 

This weekend sounds like a good weekend to install the SAE plug so I will not have this problem again. 

Also, if I am staying at a commercial campground with shore power, I do take a 40’ extension cord and either plug it into the power pedestal’s 20 amp plug, or plug it into the T@B’s 110V outlet near the T@B’s door to power the ARB overnight.  

I do not use the tow vehicle’s plug in during the night. Although I do have a jump starter, I do not care to use that battery by itself to power the ARB with the engine running. While the ARB uses little power, and the ARB will sense if the tow vehicle’s battery is under 12V and will shut it off, I don’t tempt fate…
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @bergger and @Verna… thanks for the feedback. I think we’ll stay with the ice chest for the time being. 

Gary
    gande

2018 T@b 400
  • Options
    FrancesFrances Member Posts: 1
    I can tell you that my T@B 400 3 way has been the bane of my existence.  On propane has a hard time lighting, and re-lighting by itself.  I have had it looked at twice by 2 different Norcold certified repair guys, and it works great for a few days, then back to the same.  I wish I had gotten the 2 way.  My last repair guy is an angel and promised to keep working it until it is resolved.  So I will give that a chance but I am seriously considering dumping it for a 2 way, which is much much more efficient on battery.