Has Anyone Installed Battle Born GC2 (6V Form Factor) Battery in T@B 400 Battery Compartment?

Looking for confirmation that the Battle Born 100 Ah 12V GC2 battery fits in the T@B 400 battery compartment - specifically the 2021 model year. The published dimensions seem like it should just fit...but would love to know if anyone has this setup. I've also emailed nuCamp to see if they have any experience as well.
Dimensions: 10.31 × 7.28 × 11.02 in (L x W x H)
https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/100ah-12v-gc2-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/

In a prior forum thread @Polanskyster posted this from nuCamp:
"The available battery area in the battery compartment is about 20"L x 7.5"W x 11"D. 
The battery compartment itself is 25"L x 7.5"W x 11"D total but some of the area is taken up by the vent hose. Some of that space could probably be reclaimed by removing the vent hose"

So it is really the 11.02" published height from Battle Born vs. nuCamp's statement that there is about 11" of height available that I'm trying to understand.

Thanks!
After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Remember: a lithium battery can be installed in any direction.  (I'm guessing it can't be installed upside down.) Standing up, sideways, etc.  There may be plenty of leeway with a different orientation.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    @pthomas745
    Good point I really hadn't considered. They could be flipped on the side, making the height the 10.31" dimension...hmmm.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    I looked at this after some coffee.  Battleborn has a quick video saying "yes, you can."

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @ChrisFix Are the dimensions of the stock 6v batteries different than the BB? I have the GC2 version. At the time, I needed it to fit into the welded battery tray that came with my T@B and the footprint of the GC2 does that, vs BB "standard" shaped battery. I just measured and mine appears to be 11" tall (measured in the battery box).

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

dsfdogs said:
    @ChrisFix Are the dimensions of the stock 6v batteries different than the BB? 
    Yes, the Harris are only 10" tall.
  • PolanskysterPolanskyster Member Posts: 46

2021 T@B 400, 2020 Audi Q5 
    Portland, OR
    @Polanskyster
    THANK YOU!
    That's perfect...and what I hope mine to look like as well!!
    How do you like the Battle Borns and was the upgrade to lithium worth it?
    I vaccillate between just upgrading now or waiting for the Harris AGMs to age a bit. There is no harm in running the AGMs down to 80% SOC if you don't need/expect to keep them forever, and at that point, they give about 180AH.

• PolanskysterPolanskyster Member Posts: 46
    It provides peace of mind when boondocking for 3 days or more, so for me it was worth it.  I sold my AGM's on craigslist for $300.  Other issue for me was the weight savings.  It increased my tongue weight so now I store things on my bed when traveling to offset the reduced weight from battery change.  I think with increased competition the battery cost will come down.  

I was hoping to use the microwave but that is out of the question since I would need to upgrade to a much larger inverter.  A new inverter that would allow me to use the microwave would require another battery.
    2021 T@B 400, 2020 Audi Q5 
    Portland, OR
    @Polanskyster
    I appreciate the concern for boondocking...I'm also looking for that peace of mind for 4 day boondock outings. But I've recently installed an additional Victron solar charge controller,an exterior SAE solar port, and bought the relatively inexpensive Dokio 300 watt foldable solar panels. If there is reasonable sunshine, charging should actually work out okay even with the factory AGM batteries. I've seen 253 watts incoming at the Victron from the Dokio - lying flat on the ground, which is realistically the only way to use them. These should also work well with the Battle Borns...with the Victron set to lithium charging.
    The 100 Ah GC2 Battle Borns are currently $859 with free shipping...which is a couple hundred less expensive than usual - it still adds up, but supports your comment that battery cost will come down.

Also, very interesting info on the tongue weight...an unintended consequence I hadn't worked out. Default thinking that less weight is better doesn't apply linearly here!

• TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited September 2021
    @ChrisFix for what it’s worth, I’ve done several 4-day boondocking trips in our 400, using stock Harris AGMs, with no battery drain issues.  On two occasions where I was fully shaded or essentially in the clouds, I did have to break out the generator to top up batteries, but other occasions where I have had intermittent sun, I left the camping trip with battery life above 70% SOC.  I plan to ride out the life of my AGMs before switching to Li batteries. (My 400 has the 12V refrigerator.)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I agree with @TNOutback. When I ordered my 2021 T@B 320 Boondock in June of 2020, lithium batteries were few and far between, and so very expensive. 

I ordered dual Harris AGM’s as that was the best I could have at that time. By the time I received my new 320, lithium technology had taken off, with lower prices and “self warming” in low temps. 

But, I’ll also keep my Harris AGM’s for their life and then there should be many more advances in lithium batteries in 6 to 10 years. I’m very happy with my choice at this time. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thanks everyone for the good discussion here.

I got excited by the Battle Born 'sale' price, but I think I'll beat on my AGM batteries for now as well.
    I've got the 12V fridge and that's the only thing I'd like to not run out of power for...but with my solar (and I also have a dual fuel Champion 2500 generator) I'm probably fine.
    And like @Verna said, there will continue to be advances in lithium batteries, and probably lower prices too.
    @Verna
    What happened to the post & picture that @Polanskyster had posted of his CG2 Battle Borns installed in a 400?
    It was a great reference pic for anyone looking at these batteries for a 400...
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChrisFix, we did not remove it, as Admin’s and Moderators. I guess you will need to ask him. The only thing that has been removed lately has been an upsurge of inappropriate language. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @Verna
    Okay, thanks...