Options

Unused Tab 400 Space Behind Refrigerator

In the process of wiring a 12V fan above the bed in my Tab 400 I discovered this seemingly empty but usable space behind the refrigerator.  Maybe some has converted it to storage or knows why that wouldn’t be a good idea?  I became aware of this when I removed the speaker looking for a 12V feed.
2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I know there are a couple threads here about people who have converted this space with the wardrobe option. They were able to build shelves in this space accessible through the wardrobe. Not sure what you could really do with the 3-way fridge.

On another note I’m really interested in your 12v fan mod…got pics?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    edited September 2021
    I know there are a couple threads here about people who have converted this space with the wardrobe option. They were able to build shelves in this space accessible through the wardrobe. Not sure what you could really do with the 3-way fridge.

On another note I’m really interested in your 12v fan mod…got pics?

I got this fan at West Marine.  I figured something that worked in a boating environment would work in my camper.  It has three speeds and a timer.  I don’t remember the power draw but it seemed reasonable.

Remove faceplate on sound system and take screws out to remove electronics.  The leads are labeled.  Note that the wire color scheme on the fan may be different that the camper.

You’ll probably need to splice in some added length to the power supply lines, I added 18”.

Drill hole and feed extended lines through.

The hole for the wire needs to be high enough up to feed wire into cavity above refrigerator and behind stereo.

Splice in to power source.  Check power and polarity with multimeter at this point.

Attach fan to power and wall.

There is power in the space behind the refrigerator as well so you could use this.   

This fan articulates in all directions so you could attach it farther up but I couldn’t figure out how to drill pilot holes any higher due to the size of my drill.  There is probably a tool that would let you do this.

I plan to put a hook to hang a jacket and maybe other things to this wall.

I did this while at Mount Pisgah recently - nice views.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Nice mod! A fan in that area of the bed would be nice. It seems like a dead space that doesn’t get airflow.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2022
    @rrcbov Your discovery of the space behind the 3-way fridge is an interesting one.  It must have a reason (which I cannot figure out) at it blocks access to servicing the back of the fridge (from the exterior vents) without pulling it out of its current installation.  
    Could it be designed to protect/prevent access to the back of the fridge from the exterior vents?
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    It is the dead space used when the larger fridge option is not used, and this space becomes a wardrobe locker.  Still, even in the wardrobe locker configuration, there is a smaller dead space, which wires and vent hoses pass through.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 152
    @rrcbov What is the dimension of the space behind the fridge?
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    I didn’t measure but it is as deep as the fridge is wide.  Width is maybe 10 to 12 inches and maybe 3 feet high.  If you take the speaker out you can measure more precisely