Options

Battery Access: 2021 T@B 400

Dan_AnnDan_Ann Member Posts: 4
We recently sold our 2017 T@G and bought a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock edition. The T@G was garaged and I hooked up a battery tender into the Zamp solar port to keep the battery charged and keep from freezing. Now, we will not be able to keep the T@B in the garage.  What is the best way to gain access to the batteries and what is the process to take them out to keep them from freezing? 
2021 T@B 400 B00NDOCK  
2022 RAM 1500 Laramie
Michigan
 B) 

Comments

• Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    The batteries are in the middle section of the rear of the trailer.  Behind the life up section, the cover is screwed down.  So remove the center mattress, unscrew the cover and you will see the batteries.

I will leave my batteries in the Tab and charged.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    A fully charged battery, with the battery switch off, will hold a charge for months.  No need to remove it.  A fully charged battery will not freeze until -80F.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I appreciate your reply. There will be a bit of a learning curve. Thanks! 
    2021 T@B 400 B00NDOCK  
    2022 RAM 1500 Laramie
    Michigan
     B) 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @Dan_Ann - the 400 batteries are AGMs.  For best longevity, try not to discharge them more than 50% and always fully charge them if the TaB will sit for a while or for winter storage.  Don’t rely on the inside battery monitor - it tends to over estimate the charge.  I would either use a plug in voltmeter to check a rested voltage after charging via the converter or I would use a good smart charger to prepare it for winter storage.  Once fully charged, turn off the battery switch to prevent phantom drain.  The installed solar will trickle charge your battery and the controller will prevent overcharging.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM  A lot of good information!  It is very appreciated.  I liked the voltmeter I installed in my T@G so I will defiantly pick a nice plug in to monitor the charge. I didn't take into consideration that the solar would act as a trickle charger. Learning something new all the time. Thanks!
    2021 T@B 400 B00NDOCK  
    2022 RAM 1500 Laramie
    Michigan
     B)